Review: Euro-consolidation of the Mega Clubs?

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by The Jitty Slitter, Aug 30, 2011.

1. canzano55

canzano55 Member+

Jun 23, 2003
    Toronto
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I think transfer fee's will go down regardless because the number of clubs willing to spend exorbitant amounts of money is shrinking.

Of course there will be clubs like Porto who insist their players are "fair market value" in order to keep prices up but that levy is breaking as we speak.

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Well that's where you and I disagree, in my mind modern football is evil and there's A LOT wrong with it and that's mostly to do with the people in charge of the elite clubs. By the way I'm not talking about Germany here, there's nothing evil about the Bundesliga.

For example the new rule in England where clubs in the near future have to have a majority of homegrown players in the squad. So what is the result of this rule? As homegrown is interpreted as five years at a youth academy, the elite clubs, as in the ones who can afford to, simply tap up ever younger players on continental Europe. Just fly in a bunch of 14 year olds and chances are one out of a hundred is good enough for the squad in five years time! Meanwhile clubs who can't afford to pay under 16s at the risk of them not amounting to anything suffer, also because the price of real English players will be getting even more absurd than they are now.

The elite clubs can and will find a way round every single fair play rule no problem. Again the only organisation who can change this is the EU. If they start treating professional football like every other industry, and apply the standard fair competition laws, elite clubs in England and Spain would suffer immediately.

3. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Perhaps the problem is that football is treated as a business in the modern days. It is no surprise it tends to be an oligopoly, which you also see in other globalised economic branches.

4. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    But it only works if they have fans. Losing fans means death.

5. evilcherry

evilcherry New Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Just have a word of note, Bojan-like deals might be able to artificially float a club's accounts.

6. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    how would they suffer?

7. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not getting the loans they are getting now... at least for Spain that would be the case.

8. evilcherry

evilcherry New Member

Nov 19, 2011
    Club:
    Everton FC
    How they won't?

Or apply a couple more Bojans to consolidate borrowing power?

9. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    In Dutch newspapers there had been articles over the past days which, in essence, says that the 'big clubs' wants to abolish the Europa League in its entirety. Instead of the Europa League they want to expand the Champions League to 64 teams. Why? Because those mega-powers are afraid they will not survive the CL group stage in the current set-up (see both Manchester clubs).

10. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    In the end a terrible idea. Just allocate more money to the EL, problem solved.

11. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Yeah, that would be a beginning to solve the disbalances in modern football but I'm afraid they want to maintain their priviliged position. From their point of view it is indeed preferable to expand the Champions League even more, with more weaker teams (plus more teams from the big countries), in order to safeguard a progression to later stages. They also did this trick in the past (the trick is to take away places from medium-powers like Portugal, Belgium and the Netherlands; which they did).

12. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
  13. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    this again, lol.

i just wish there was a way you could bet against this every time someone predicts it, you could make a fortune.

14. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine