Euro 2020 - Tickets Thread

Discussion in 'Euro 2020 (2021)' started by noar1985, Mar 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Ditto for Blibao. San Sebastian is a world class city 45 minutes away, just like Edinburgh from Glasgow, so you don't lose anything, unlike, say, staying outside AMS (No other town or city in Holland compares). Also bus terminal is right next to San Memes stadium.

Of course, without knowing the kick off times, this is all easier said than done. Kinda blows to leave town if the final whistle is 23h00. Might not even be possible without a car for some cities.

2. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m looking at Malmo hotels for Copenhagen, though the cost of the train over the bridge can be expensive if you go back and forth a few times. Still, the savings can make it work.

Definitely look at loyalty programs. Sometimes it can be cheap to buy points to make a booking even if you don’t have points. For example, the Holiday Inn Express near the Amsterdam Arena is selling rooms for 950 Euros per night around the games, but some nights can be booked for 25,000 IHG points. Even if you have zero IHG points, you can buy them for about .5 cents USD by creating an account and then going to the points page. Obviously, make sure the night you want is available on points before buying points and then book immediately, but using this technique got me two nights right near the arena for about $265 USD all in.

3. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    The prices in London and everywhere else on game nights and tge days around will shoot up. You will find the rooms you book now cheaply will cancel nearer the time. Ive seen it all before many times.

4. Jack97

Jack97 New Member

Liverpool
    Australia
    Aug 15, 2019
    AirBNB seems to be the cheapest. I’m coming from Australia for both semi finals and I’ve seen plenty of AirBnb’s for 4 nights being the same total as 1 night for a 2-3 star hotel in London

5. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    #755 welshbairn, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
    Utrecht is a smaller version of Amsterdam without the tourists, and less than half an hour away by train.
    A fast train takes you straight to the stadium in 16 minutes. There's also a direct train to Utrecht from Schiphol.

6. themanlarry

themanlarry Member+

Nov 14, 2005
    He probably just means in terms of being a world-class big city. From the train station next to the Johan Cruyff ArenA there are trains leaving in every direction as well as trams going back into Amsterdam. Utrecht as you say is a beautiful little city 16 minutes by train from the stadium, 30 min to Amsterdam and 30 min to the airport station. Other options I'd recommend would be Haarlem if you want to be near the nice beaches in a small city but also a 15-minute train to Amsterdam. Or Rotterdam, The Hague and a few other alternatives too especially if you have visited Amsterdam to death over the years. I'll write a bit more about this closer to the time when we have a travel thread.

In the Euro 2020 bid evaluation report they acknowledge that one of Bilbao's only weaknesses is that it will not be able to accommodate all incoming fans. I have booked accommodation in Bilbao Old Town and in San Sebastian for the six days there around two matches but remember when looking that there were definitely a few options in smaller towns and beach areas all along the coast that were much very affordable too. Hopefully they announce extra transport options around the matches for nearby cities and in-between (San Sebastian, Santander, Vitoria-Gasteiz etc.).

7. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Already booked for Munich but I see you can get a nice room in Dachau for only 69 euros, 20 minutes by cab from Allianz Arena!

8. Old Geezer

Old Geezer New Member

Arsenal
    England
    Aug 6, 2019
    Yes, agreed that will happen, although the £78 price I quoted was for July 2020.

9. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    They will be quoting their normal rate. As soon as they realise there is a major event that week/day they will put the prices up by ridiculous amounts. It's funny and happens all the time, the excuses they give for cancelling can be hilarious too. AirBnb hosts will be the same.
    Hopefully I am wrong I'm certainly not wishing this on anybody :)
    We see it all the time have a look back over the previous tourny Accommodation threads. I'm wise to it now and try to book away from the main centres.
    Of course in previous Tournys we were going for a week or longer so it may well be different this time with the games being played at many locations.
    God luck anyway.

10. EricLisiewski

EricLisiewski New Member

Manchester United
    Poland
    Aug 16, 2019
    Hey lads, new to the forum so I apologize if this has been answered before. But how does the whole ticket resale work? What is the procedure for selling to someone on this forum? Will my name be on the ticket creating a potential issue? I have one R16 Cat. 2 for Amsterdam (Matchday 38) and one Final Cat. 3 for London.

Cheers!

11. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't think the hotel prices will be much more outrageous than usual in London, except for the semi finals due to two matches in two days. There are at least 123,000 hotel rooms in Greater London. Plus AirBnB, etc. June isn't peak season. A lot of the attendees, especially for the early rounds, will be British and sleeping in their own home. Yes people could travel from towns outside but train fare plus time wasted doesn't make it worth it in my book. Could be an issue for the semis as you're looking at 180,000 attendees, with a likely much lower proportion of locals attending. The London commuter belt is vast so there are plenty of options. Cambridge, Oxford and Brighton are all doable and are worth visiting. Reading and Luton if you're on a tighter budget. Although I do think that the saving after extra travel costs won't be substantial over the cheaper London hotels. I just searched the Travelodge website, a budget hotel chain, with dates around the 2nd group match and a room for two adults is from around £40 - £70 per night currently depending on how close to the centre of town. Luxury it aint but it will do.

Greater Glasgow has 15,000 hotel rooms. Much more likely that the prices will be affected and Edinburgh is very close by with a lot to see and do plus very fast links.

leonidas repped this.
  12. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    The tournament draw: https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/matches/#/dw/1185

I had wondered how they were going to do this. I can't think of another draw being done before all qualification had been completed.

My understanding was any host city would have all three group matches of their nation (if qualified) unless the group co-host also qualified. In which case two would be "at home" and one at the other host. Is this still the case with this draw? Take group D. It is likely that England will qualify and Scotland will be in the play offs. Would the groups be drawn in such a way that one play off winner will be in group D? Then the provisional situation is that all three England games are at Wembley. However, if Scotland qualify through the play offs they then take the reserved spot in group D and there is a draw to move the fixtures around. If Scotland fail then it remains as is. If Scotland qualify people with tickets for one England match could go from having a highly prized England ticket to a match between two relative minnows. Others could end up with the jackpot of an England - Scotland match. This is a particular issue if tickets are sold after 30 November but before the play offs are complete.

There is also the theoretical possibility of five host nations being in the play offs. That would make a huge mess of the 30 November draw.

13. Ric_Braz

Ric_Braz Member+

May 13, 2009
    Wiltshire, UK.
    Club:
    AFC Wimbledon
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Everything about the draw is like a Maths edition of the Open university.

leonidas repped this.
  14. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Lots of cheap ok hotels and good bars, restaurants etc in Brighton, always stay there if I've an early flight from Gatwick, or even if I've a longish break between flights. Bit of a trek to Wembley though.

15. FootballPirateMorgan

Feb 20, 2018
    London
    Agreed, the qualification process (with the Nations League finalists twist) and the draw seem incredibly difficult to get your head around, unless you're willing to spend solid time reading and understanding it.

I have tickets to the R16 London match- A1 v C2. Trying to guess who this might be. I can see that group A has Rome and Baku as hosts- so if I have read it right, if Italy qualify they'll be in group A- so if Italy win their group than they'll play in the London R16 game? Group C has Amsterdam and Bucharest, so outside chance C2 could be The Netherlands.. That'd be an intense R16 to see..

themanlarry repped this.
  16. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is further complicated by the fact that there are only certain ways that you can structure the six games in a group, given that all 4 teams must play each matchday.

So, I think the only possibilities on a given matchday are 1v2 3v4; 1v3 2v4; and 1v4 and 2v3. This puts a further limit on what must happen when hosts qualify. I think the most you can say is that a host will be assured of getting two games at home.

17. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thinking about it more, I've overly-complicated it. Here's the bottom line if two hosts make it. Out of the six games played in the group, one will feature a non-host against a non-host.

That means one host will have to be booted from its home stadium for that game. In addition, one host will have to play at the other host. But, in order to preserve the ability for each host to get at least two home games, I think that means that the non-host v. non-host game will be placed in the City of the host that plays the other host at home. Otherwise, a host could play only one home game.

So, assume

1. Hungary
    2. Germany
    3. Nonhost 1
    4. Nonhost 2

I think what will happen here is that lots will be drawn to decide where the 1 Hungary v 2 Germany game will be held. Let's say the draw says Munich. In that case, Hungary would play its other two games in Budapest, the non-host v. non-host would be played in Munich and Germany would play two games in Munich and one in Budapest versus a nonhost.

18. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    I like this multi nation format from a fan's perspective, but it seems a bit unfair when you have 12 teams enjoying considerable home advantage.

19. Dave1978

Dave1978 New Member

LIVERPOOL
    England
    Aug 16, 2019
    Can anyone please tell me if I have to submit the names etc of all the people who will be using the tickets I have purchased?

20. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    I definitely plan to stay in San Sebastian. Just take the train to Bilbao early in the morning - see the Guggenheim, lunch, then game.

21. meior mordi

meior mordi Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan

not now, only probably on March or April they will ask the names

22. jesta

jesta Member+

Feb 9, 2014
    you can’t control it if resold thru uefa, best is to do it here directly, either personal contact or by using someone you know for handing over the tickets. this way you know tickets end in good hands. it is recommended to be careful and trade/sell only to board members with history

as above , best to do it in person. names were never an issue, apart from games in Italy, maybe.
    and we do it here for face value only, plus shipment cost or plus eventual provable charges (such as if tickets purchased in uefa resale or simmilar)

Stuckin1au repped this.
  23. Dave1978

Dave1978 New Member

LIVERPOOL
    England
    Aug 16, 2019
    Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

24. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    When 2 hosts qualify directly then they draw lots for the 3rd home game.

If one host qualifies directly and the other host ends up in the playoffs then the host that qualifies directly is guaranteed 3 home games.

They will almost certainly draw the playoff winners into the groups. EG assume as expected Scotland end up in the Nations League C playoff then the winners will be drawn in Group D.

There may have to be a redraw if 2 hosts end up in the same playoff. In reality this can only happen with 4+ hosts in the Leagues A-C playoffs.

25. Euro punter

Euro punter Member

Leeds Utd
    England
    Aug 6, 2019
    #775 Euro punter, Aug 17, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
    This debate about host team venues like most things on here is being made unnecessarily complicated. Take Group D as an example. If England and Scotland both qualify, they will get at least two home games against the other teams that make up the group. The other round of games will be Eng v Sco at either Wembley or Glasgow, and Nation C V Nation D at Glasgow or Wembley. The bottom line is that one host will get three home games and the other will get two. Any other format would mean that one host team would get two home games, and the other only one. If you remain unconvinced then try working it out on an old fashioned pen and paper.