EURO 2020 - Team Sheet and Tactics

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by Orange14, Nov 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jpows repped this.
  2. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord

England the 3rd best national team of the decade according to France Football, LOL. Netherlands is #8.

3. This is going to be the EC2020 Orange shirt!
    [​IMG]

If you can't make out what the print is....it's a lions head.

4. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    I personally like a much simpler design (the lion prints made me dizzy). But I can appreciate the creativity... especially, if this is what it takes to bring the trophy home, I am all in!!!! :thumbsup:

5. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's better than that Euro 2012 shirt we had

6. If it has the same effect on the opponents players, we have a winner:ROFLMAO::):D

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  7. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    How can they leave out France if they won the world up in 2018??

8. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    How can they include Italy who have been rubbish for the past decade???

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  9. BaritoPutra

BaritoPutra Member+

Jan 26, 2007
    Assuming Depay and Malen are out of Euro 2020, and that Koeman will take 7 attackers (give or take one), who would be included?

I think four are virtually secured... Promes, Bergwijn, Luuk, Stengs.

That leaves three spots to be fight for:

- The next logical choice would be Boadu, a hungry young lion with scintillating form this season (11 goals, 5 assists). Can cover LW and ST. Also impressed with his Oranje debut.

- I would take Berghuis. He brings a ton of versatility. Good at holding on to the ball (also can be his weakness). And he might be Feyenoord’s only chance to be represented in Oranje NT :p:D

- Babel would get a strong consideration. Experienced.

Other outsiders looking in: Vincent Janssen (won a title with Monterrey yesterday), Weghorts (killer at club level, but is he too similar to Luukinho?), Dilrosun, Danjuma, El Ghazi, Kluivert (all have mediocre season so far, and none has featured in Oranje for some time now), Zirkzee (not going to happen... crazy talk).

10. wilson00

wilson00 Member

Oct 14, 2015
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I would take huntelaar over Luuk any day .

11. Jalepinho

Jalepinho Member

Aug 18, 2014
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

not really digging this shirt - too many lines make it very overwhelming for my eyes. This sort of reminds me of the ajax shirts in the 90s which has an ajax logo graphic but is achieved with far fewer lines and is way more subtle which I like alot more.... man i miss the 90s...

Attached Files:

12. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Depay being injured is such a devastating news. Not that I'm a big fan of him, but he was really the only player I could imagine making differences upfront, scoring goals out of nothing...Malen would have been his logical modest replacer but since he willl miss the EC too, the dutch team is in big troubles.
    I really don't see the likes of Bergwijn, Babel, Boadu, Luuk, Stengs...being a guarantee to score goals against Ukraine, Austria and probably Romania. Not powerhouses, ok, but good teams for sure. With experienced players in their defence. If they decide to lock the bus, they 'll probably do it better than the Nothern irish team against whom the Netherlands struggled to score during 80 minutes...and finally did thanks to Depay ^^

I think now we should really focus on one question : Whom can I trust to score goals ?
    The first answer that comes to my mind is : not Bergwijn. With 31 goals in 147 games with PSV and 0 goals in 9 games with the NT, he surely can't be considered to be a good scorer so far. I like the player though, quality player for sure, but has so much to prove yet and I wouldn't give him a starting spot with the NT. He couldn't even make PSV to go through the EL groupe stage against Linz, which is like the third austrian team, so why should we expect him to make differences against Austria ?

Babel ? He does score more,yes, but he's still so irregular and nowhere near Depay's level in terms of "guarantee that he will score".
    Then you got Luuk whos only proved to score in Eredivisie so far. Koeman said he prefers Luuk rather than Weghorst, I do prefer the second personally. He does in Germany what Luuk couldn't do when he was there.
    Then the Boadu, Stengs, Kluivert...are still too young and have not proved enough yet to be starters in my opinion.

So I'll ask my question again : Whom can I trust to score goals ?
    If I had to make a top 3, I'd say Wijnaldum, Promes and Van de Beek in this order. The first one really has got strong scoring abilities, no doubt. No matter if club or NT, he is just a great at making runs and finishing chances, and is even better at scoring with his head than most of our strikers.
    Promes has decent scoring abilities. 7 goals in 42 appearances with the NT is not something great, ok, but let's not forget he played most of those games during the dark period, with Klaassen and Narsingh as team mates. His time with Spartak and his current season with Ajax prove he can score goals and be a good threat upfront.
    Then Van de Beek. Has not scored yet with NT ( did not play much) but proved he can be a great scorer with Ajax. Scoring against Juventus, Tottenham, Valencia and Chelsea within one year...for a rather defensive oriented midfielder is something quite big. It will probably take years for Bergwijn, Stengs...to do something like this.

So yes, I'd include these three players in my line up.

A 4-3-3 with Babel and Bergwijn on the wings like we often had during the previous qualifiers would be a big mistake for me. I think Koeman should think about something else. I'd try smth like this :

---------------------------Frenkie (Propper)---De Roon(Strootman)-----------------------

-----Van de Beek(Stengs/Ihattaren)-----------------------Wijnaldum( Bergwijn/Babel)

--------------------------------------Promes(Boadu)------------------------------------------

----------------------------------------------------Weghorst( Luuk ?)-----------------------------

A kind of diamond shaped midfield with 4 players. Frenkie would be free to organize the game without thinking too much about defensive tasks, knowing that De Roon will do the dirty job. Donny and Gio would help defending of course, and especially closing the spaces on the wings in defensive phases, but they will also make a lot of runs in the opponent box as they always do. Promes would play in a kind of 9,5 role, roaming around Weghorst who'd be the pivote. And if this is not enough to have the lead after 60-70 minutes, you add an offensive player and take De Roon off. Van de Beek goes next to Frenkie then.

The defence line would be a classical 4 back line, with Van Dijk-De Ligt in the center, Blind on the left side, the right back spot remains open for the moment, Dumfries is not really convincing and I'd just hate going there with Veltman...Let's see what will be with Tete and Karsdorp during the second part of the season.

feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  13. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
    With so many injuries and players sitting on the bench in the club, must be a tough time for Ronald Koeman. Like it or not but he is probably forced to bring Stengs, Boadu, Ihattaren. Hopefully we will see them in friendly. Perhaps Gini can play just above the MF and behind 2 forwards as false 9? The new look team will not be able to score as many goals so probably tight up defense and win those narrow games by 1 goal...

gabrielguilarte repped this.
  14. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not a fan of the new kit hopefully the block style numbers go too.
    I prefer a clear looking rounded number for whatever its worth.

15. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  16. bunbohue

bunbohue Member+

Apr 5, 2005
  17. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Listen to me you guys, like I told you earlier on this forum Depay WILL be ready and fit for the Euro!!! He will barely break a sweat:

18. DutchFanatic

DutchFanatic Member

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Dec 23, 2013
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think he will definitely be physically fit to play for the Euro. My only worry is that Depay is a form player if i've ever seen one, and there really isn't much time for him to refind that form. So I think he will definitely be physically fit, but we'll see how that translates to his actual capabilities around that time. I would say even at 75% form he is still better than our other options.

19. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  20. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    3 Serie A games cancelled tomorrow. You can kiss the Euro goodbye

21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Forget about it you guys. Sad to say, but this is only gonna get worse:

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Get a grip on reality. The yearly influenza virus kills tens of thousands in the US each season. From what we have seen in China and elsewhere is that elderly people with other medical conditions seem to be most at risk.

EDIT: I don't want to see any more posts on this topic. they will be deleted.

venema20 repped this.
  23. Koeman tols he's not going to change much in the selection. He told he has confidence in the regular group he played with.

24. Jpows

Jpows Member+

F.C. Barcelona
    Netherlands
    Jun 4, 2018
    Bergwijn now out as well? What the hell is going on with our attackers? Goodness gracious. I was really hoping that Bergwijn would get the necessary experience in the EPL just in time for the Euros.

First Memphis, then Malen, and now Bergwijn. Soon we’ll only have de Jong left, who admittedly is doing fairly well of late at Sevilla. Still, would rather have either of Memphis, Malen or Bergwijn any day over him.

Oh well, here’s to hoping Memphis makes it back in time and that he isn’t the type of player who needs a lot of match fitness before teaching top form.

One thing’s certain now, Stengs and Boadu are a shoo-in for the Euros. I hope Ihattaren can get back to the unplayable form he was in earlier in the season so he can also he selected.

Sigh...