Euro 2020 residents accommodation advice

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by hearts123, Jan 2, 2020.

1. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    I am starting this thread for people looking for advice on where to stay in Host Cities for Euro 2020.

Post here if you require advice on where to stay in or around the many venues. Alternatively post here if you stay in one of the cities and are willing to offer help/advice.

I live in Edinburgh which is very handy for Glasgow so anyone wishing local knowledge please don’t hesitate to ask.

2. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Just spotted this thread. I live in Dublin so happy to help and offer advice.

Use Dublin bus routes 16 or 41 to/ from the airport to the city centre much cheaper but you need euro coins or a LEAP (public transport) card - might be free with match ticket haven't heard yet. if free then 747 and 757 are faster but approx 4 times the price. Taxis are metered but expensive. I'd estimate 50 euro from the airport to the stadium albeit a lot quicker than buses so an option if in a hurry.

Stadium is in a nice leafy part of Dublin with hotels, bars and restaurants around. Approx 30 minutes walk from the city centre.

Much f the lower tier of the stadium is out in the rain. probably only rows Y,Z

Hotels etc are expensive. Try and stay on the DART line (commuter train) or LUAS (light rail) or city centre. Dublin 2 (south of the river) is generally better than Dublin 1 (north of the river).

Tickets will be a total nightmare if we (or Northern Ireland) qualify. Much easier if Bosnia or Slovakia. There are loads of Poles here as well though. If we don't make it most fans will try to go to the "England" Rof16 game.

Temple Bar is a tourist trap and a bit of a ripoff but you will probably go there anyway. Harcourt St and Baggot St have some nice pubs.

There are direct flights to many of the host cities (all bar Baku & SPB) from Dublin.

Plenty to do as a tourist in Dublin.

Any questions will do my best.

3. hearts123

hearts123 Member+

May 18, 2009
    Hi mate I have tickets for the last 16 game in Dublin. I was definitely coming there until I checked the Hotel/BnB prices. Very steep. Before I cancel and sell my tickets is there anywhere close to Dublin that will still be reasonably priced at that time. We can then commute.

4. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Just checked and a small double room in student accomodation is €111. Destiny Student The Point on booking.com Not brilliant but less than £100 for a couple. This is 30 minutes walk from the stadium albeit not in a great area of Dublin.

If you rent a car then lots of options however public transport out of Dublin is very poor after 8pm.

Heading south Greystones is nice and has some DART trains. Not sure if there are late ones. Drogheda is an option north of Dublin. Some nice hotels there. However much easier by rental cars than using the bus. Heading west Navan might be an option. There were private buses from there for a Liverpool game in the Aviva in 2018. Might run for the euros.

hearts123 repped this.
  5. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Just an update and I hate writing this but given my advice above and recent news reports I think it is best. Drogheda may be best avoided unless an ongoing drug war ends. It is a great town, great people and have a fantastic football club. Unfortunately there is a drug war between two gangs at the moment and arriving back late at night by bus after a game may be unwise. You would want to be really really unlucky.

Worth keeping an eye on as Drogheda does have late bus links and has decent hotels.

In general the country is very safe. The vast majority of tourists will never see anything untoward.

hearts123 repped this.
  6. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    ok a decent and cheap option.

Carlow - nice town an hour's drive from Dublin. lots of cheap good quality accomodation.

5pm kickoff in the Aviva Penalty shootout ends by 8pm. Group games all finish earlier.

JJ Kavanagh private bus departs from Ulster bank Georges quay at 9pm arrives 10.20pm. 32 minutes walk from the stadium. there is a later option.

https://jjkavanagh.ie/timetable-det...&Direction=1&RGrp=Main Routes Airport Routes

The big advantage is the bus goes direct to Dublin airport from Carlow town centre next day - lots of options. Fare should be less than €20 return. Bus stops in town centre so hotels, guesthouses a short walk.

7. Petersonnn

Petersonnn Member+

Jan 7, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    How crazy is it to reach the R16 game (starts 1t 17:00) if the plane lands at 16:10? I see the taxi ride is like 22 minutes, but I dont know what is it like at gamedays.

8. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Sorry but it is crazy. It is peak rush hour traffic even without a match. The airport is north of the city and the stadium is south.

Even if your plane lands on time reaching the taxi rank at best is 30 minutes. There can be a queue for taxis and even then getting out of the airprot into the port tunnel will take time. Exiting the port tunnel will put the taxi in peak traffic and most likely bumper to bumper from there to the stadium.

Furthermore the exclusion zone around the stadium will mean you need to arrive at least an hour before kickoff to clear security, walk to the stadium, find your seat etc.

9. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I really don't think that is a problem for supporters. Obviously everyone does their own risk assessment but in my opinion, having now read a little about it, this is strictly a gangland thing with targeted victims. Chances of being affected are extremely low. It isn't on the scale of, say, Mexico. There is nothing to be gained and a lot to be lost by criminals if innocents get caught up in it. A quick look at the Irish press shows that they've already brought enough heat upon themselves.

Worth a mention but not something for visiting supporters to worry about. They'd probably get a fantastic welcome anywhere in Ireland.

popularside repped this.
  10. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No doubt visiting fans will get a fantastic welcome.

Agreed re being highly highly unlucky to be caught up in the war between the 2 drug gangs. Dorgheda is a lot closer than Carlow. In truth Dublin is the best place to stay for atmosphere etc but prices are crazy.

11. neonsuburbs

neonsuburbs New Member

Dec 12, 2015
    Hey, would be very happy to buy these tickets if you decide to sell

12. Confizzled

Confizzled Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Jan 24, 2020
    Hey guys! I was wondering if anyone has any tips for finding cheap accommodations. A lot of Air bnb are almost 3 or 4 times the price during periods where there are games, around 3 or 400 Canadian. Some are cheaper but they have all been booked. I’m looking at Budapest and Bucharest. Anyone have any tips for finding cheaper places? Even hotels seem to be very expensive.

13. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    The prices will still be expensive (but maybe not as expensive as what you quoted), but in my experience, at least with Russia during the WC, more new AirBnBs were being added in the run up to the tournament.

As for maybe trying to save another 10%, usually if you book directly with the hotel, you save some money instead of booking on one of the travel sites.

If you want to try even cheaper, you can look at Hostelworld, and while I'm a bit old to stay in a shared dorm, I'd consider a private room if necessary.

Confizzled repped this.
  14. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Not much help but just noticed the hotel in Budapest I booked last July for R16 at 50 Euros a night has trebled to 150 Euros. As has been said, try for single rooms in hostels, they're sometimes better than cheap hotels and often more fun to stay in. Check all the reviews first though, they can be awful. And don't wait any longer.

15. Michael Davies

Everton FC
    Wales
    Nov 5, 2017
    One alternative is to stay the night in Holyhead (Wales) hotel/B&B close to ferry port $60, ferry over to Dublin $40, or get a hotel somewhere like Dun Laoghaire, a short train ride from Dublin could be a lot cheaper.

16. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Bray doesn't look too extortionate, direct bus to/from airport and stadium.

17. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The DART (suburban train) is far more reliable than the bus. It goes direct from Bray to the stadium. You do need to use the bus to reach the airport.

Although the queues ofr the DART are huge after games.

18. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anyone have any advice for Rome? Specifically, whether or not they run shuttles to and from the stadium or otherwise what the best plan would be for attending a game that ends late.

We have tickets for the ITA v. SUI game. It starts at 21:00, so I'm assuming will let out around 23:00. We are flying into Rome (FCO) that day, arriving around noon. We fly back out the next day around 11:00 from CIA.

The question is basically where to stay. It doesn't look like there is too much right around the stadium. And it looks as though the metro closes very soon after the game and isn't all that close to the stadium to begin with. Given that we have to fly out the next morning, it would be nice to have a place to sleep that won't take us hours to get to after the game. And that would also be relatively convenient to get to from FCO on the day of the game. But, I don't know Rome well at all, and there just don't appear to be too many great options.

19. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    While I don't live in Rome, given your short stay there, I'd just try to stay near the main train station, Termini. It's not the greatest neighborhood (as tends to be the case with the neighborhoods that surround central stations), but it is convenient. You can also stay maybe a 10 minute walk from there by the Colosseum in the Monti neighborhood.

If you want to stay as close to the stadium as possible, I guess you could try staying by the Vatican. But, I personally think it would make more sense to stay near Termini, as you'll basically be in and out from the airport.

20. welshbairn

welshbairn Member+

Clachnacuddin
    Scotland
    Jul 31, 2019
    Someone will have better knowledge, but for what it's worth I would think about staying in Frascati. Pleasant hill town 15 min taxi ride from CIA, stayed there before to get away from the heat and expense of Rome, but half hour on the train from Roma Termini, where you also have a direct half hour train from FCO and promised shuttles to the Stadium.

P.S. Didn't read the above before posting but if you can find somewhere affordable near Termini it makes sense.

21. popularside

popularside Member+

Dec 14, 2009
    dublin
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Some useful info here.

https://www.stadiumguide.com/olimpico/

It is out of the way a bit and awkward to get back to the centre of Rome after a game. Not a great stadium for watching football. Rome is a fantastic city though.

22. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks everyone. The difficulty seems to be getting back to the hotel at night after the game. It looks as though it will be tight to get to the metro before it closes and finding a cab to get back to Termini with 60,000 other people doesn't look like much fun. My guess is that they will probably run shuttles or maybe I guess even keep the metro open. But there's no good information that I can find yet and hotels are booked and expensive at this point.

I think maybe the safest thing to do is try to find a hotel that is reasonably close to the stadium so I can walk back after the game, and then just take a cab to CIA the next morning since it looks like cab is by far the best way to get to CIA anyway. I found a couple of decent hotels that look to be around 30 minutes walk from the stadium. With the game getting out at 11:00 p.m. and a flight the next day I think the guarantee of being in bed by midnight is probably going to win the day, unless any locals have any information about what options might exist for a game that ends at 11:00 p.m.

23. Italia2020

Italia2020 New Member

Lazio
    Italy
    Jan 25, 2020
    There is a tram/trolley, that runs between Mancini and Flaminio after the game, it's the best way to get from the city center to the stadium and back. This get's you to an area with many more options for hotels. Mancini is a short walk across the bridge to the stadium.

24. RegularGuy

RegularGuy Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is great information. Thank you.

Can the trams keep up with all the people coming out of the games at once?

25. Italia2020

Italia2020 New Member

Lazio
    Italy
    Jan 25, 2020
    Last time I used it was last year's Coppa Italia final and it was ok

RegularGuy repped this.