Euro 2020 Qualifying Official Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Mean Machine, Dec 1, 2018.

1. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Now that we are a year out and have seen a rebirth with la nazionale, what would your 23 be at the Euro? And yes I understand that there is a whole season to play, as well as injuries, I am just curious to see what you

Goalkeepers
    Gigio
    Meret
    Sirigu

Fullbacks
    Spinazzolla
    Palmeiri
    De Sciglio
    Conti

Centerbacks
    Chiellini
    Bonucci
    Romangoli
    Izzo

Midfield
    Barella
    Verratti
    Jorghino
    Zaniolo
    Tonali
    Pellegrini

Wingers
    Chiesa
    Berna
    Insigne
    Politano

Strikers
    Belotti
    Kean

Very light on attackers, but Mancini has made it clear that he likes the idea of a false 9. In addition, Zaniolo has the tactical flexibility play further up the pitch.

In a perfect world, my side would look like this (433)

Insigne-Kean-Chiesa
    Verratti-Jorghino-Barella
    Spinazolla-Chiellini-Bonucci-Conti
    Gigio

calabrese8 repped this.
  2. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #827 Calcio Pauly, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Hard to tell which one is the bigger wanna-be.

3. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Switch De Sciglio with Florenzi, Izzo with Rugani/Caldara, Tonali with Cristante, and Politano with Quagliarella.

4. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Quags has no business being on this team, I'd like to see SES get some playing time but probably won't happen.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #830 falvo, Jun 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  6. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    SES def deserves playing time. He quietly had a good year at Roma

indestructible and johnny6 repped this.
  7. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    SES has no business on the team either. Yes maybe he had a decent season, but we have a lot better wingers: Insigne, Bernardeschi, Chiesa, Kean (can play wing or striker), Politano, and even Berardi honestly.

8. Gilbertsson

Gilbertsson Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Apr 1, 2012
    Geneva
    Club:
    Toronto Croatia
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Nice victory against Bosnia and Herzegovina. Bonucci reacted very well, when he managed to block one chance in 17th minute. Bosnian goal could bring 0-2, instead of 0-1. Very unusual goal of Insigne, something that we don't see often. Since I mentioned in earlier weeks the importance of Verratti. This came evident at the end of this match, calm and technical shot brought the victory at the end. These last moments are usually intensive, with lack of concentration in finishing.
    It was only a matter of time when will Bosnia and Herzegovina might lose their focus. Or someone could boycott the team success because of ethnic composition in the team. It happened once in additional qualifications; Portugal. I never had doubts in this scenario. They could only lose tight or severe, without taking any points. After 8 months, there is no longer clean sheet for Italy.
    It seems that Finland has great defensive strategy, only 2 goals in 4 matches. Sustainable bunker.:cool: But they also scored 6 goals.
    Potentially complicated away match against Armenia. Atmosphere, long journey. Everything goes with the nice direction, participation at the EURO 2020.
    Happy St. Antonio day.:)

Falc repped this.
  9. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes totally leave out the guy that scored 11 goals this season and why are you including strikers AND wingers that play on the right?

Ciro Di Marzio and calabrese8 repped this.
  10. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Grazie!

falvo repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I always thought your name was Gaetano because of your Avitar....

12. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    LOL - Would that make you a George? Like you, I have my favorite player as an avatar.

13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My Incredible footballing skills! ;)

14. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    so do I!

Calcio Pauly and Falc repped this.
  15. turco3

turco3 Member

Jul 23, 2006
    Our broads are looking good.

16. thorus

thorus Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    The women's team is playing against Jamaica (and winning 3-0); they are being relentless in this match.

In the US, it's broadcast in one of the Spanish channels.

The U20 team will play this afternoon for third place at 2.30. Also, broadcasted but not sure of the channel; think one of the Fox channels.

17. thorus

thorus Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Solid win by the women's team against China to reach the quarterfinals. Next game against The Netherlands on Saturday.

Also, in the women's WC, great games between France and Brazil, and Norway vs Australia. Undeserved win by The Netherlands against Japan.

falvo and Rosay repped this.
  18. Ciro Di Marzio

Ciro Di Marzio Member+

SSC Napoli
    Canada
    Jun 28, 2019
    Scampia
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    we suck but if you wanna hear it i'd go with a 3-5-2

Bernardeschi - Kean
    Spinazzola - Barella - Jorginho - Verratti - Chiesa
    Chiellini - Romagnoli - Izzo
    Meret/Donnarumma

Ya ik i'd leave out Insigne, I think our mids are too weak physically to afford the luxury of having Insigne out there. Go with the talent that can dig deep. Grind out results cuz we don't have the team to dominate

19. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Barella just signed with Inter. Hopefully he gets some big game experience and doesn't rot on the bench.

20. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In typical Italian fashion he'll rot on the bench and then they'll attempt to develop him at 32 years old, when that fails the team will say that Italy has no good talent and will proceed with more foreigners.

totti fan and Deleted User x repped this.
  21. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Barella is literally Inter's best MF

22. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    How good would you say Barella is actually? He has impressed me with the national team, but is he consistent at club level? I don't watch Cagliari that much so I really have no idea how good of a player he really is consistently. The fact that he plays for Cagliari and not many clubs are going after him makes me think he is nothing to rave about but he is still young. How good would you say he is?

23. UdineseFan98

UdineseFan98 Member

Mar 12, 2017
    St. Catherines, ON
    Club:
    Udinese Calcio
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Whenever I watch Cagliari play, he is usually one of the best players on the pitch, regardless of who they are playing. Works his ass off, and can make that key pass leading to a great chance. I literally go out of my way to watch them play (well not anymore).

24. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    I had the same impression of Barella. What concerned me was during the Euro U21s, where you would think he would dominate, he was average at best. Perhaps it was just a bad tournament.

25. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Or perhaps Di Biagio partnered him with mediocre talent next to him like Mandragora. I thought Barella was very good against Belgium and even Spain despite some lineup handicaps from Gigi.

Barella is a GREAT purchase by Conte. As a Juve fan, I am jealous. We are missing that engine in the middle of the field capable of tons of running, incisive passes, and box-to-box play. We love our 30+ players :thumbsdown: