Euro 2020 Qualifying Official Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Mean Machine, Dec 1, 2018.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Largo ai Giovani! Good thing about Zaniolo is that he is only 19 years of age! He can play on both the U21's and the national team.

Then again, Fabio Quagliarella who is about to turn 36 years of age just scored again! Largo ai vecchietti!

2. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #52 Nek Sanalet, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    If Mancini were to drop Jorginho (I have no idea what his form is like since I don't watch EPL), I would probably start Pellegrini over Zaniolo. While I've always been in the "play the youngsters camp", at 19 and just starting to play first team football, maybe Zaniolo should work his way into the starting eleven. I would make him first choice off the bench and start Barella, Verratti, Jorginho/Pellegrini.

Just watched today's game against Fiorentina and Sampadoria. Chiesa had a great game, and I'm starting to wonder if maybe Quags should be called up. He's so old and won't be a factor for the Euro's, but his form might be worth it for qualifiers. I also think Gabbiadini played well off the bench, even providing an assist.

3. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    ya Pellegrini should play closer to goal tho, in a trequartista position. he's good there

calabrese8 repped this.
  4. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Mancini has consistently talked about the possibility of calling up Quagliarella for the time being at least. I am curious to see how he would do for us, especially in these qualifiers.

Rosay and Deleted User x repped this.
  5. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I think Gianluca Mancini also deserves a look

calabrese8 repped this.
  6. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Hopefully with the eventual collapse of the EU or Italy leaving it, they can re-impose a foreign cap. Right now there is nothing they can do, Clubs can technically play 11 out of 11 foreigners. Its a brutal time, I wonder how sometimes Italy keep on producing good players under these conditions but somehow Italy do.

Stefano Sensi is the real deal, he needs to be given more of a shot.

7. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Do you really think Italy will leave the EU? I wish they had never changed from the Lire to the Euro but I doubt they will leave the EU.

8. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    Yes it they will, the amount of debt Italy has incurred over the last few years is too much. the EU is a scam it only benefits Germany, Belgium and England...all other nations are drowning in debt. Also how many countries are turning away from the EU's open boarder policy. I think the EU is on its last legs and will be gone soon.

If this is so expect things to go back to the 90's in European football maybe not as drastic but at least 6 domestic players starting on each club team, which is the an ideal number in today's game.

9. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    England has already voted to leave the EU by the way.

10. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Trying not to completely derail the thread but i think it's only a matter of time before Italy leaves.

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  11. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Quagliarella with 2 goals and an assist today.

He now has a goal in 11 straight Serie A games, tying the legendary Batistuta's streak.

He has to get the call at this point.

gumbacicc, calabrese8 and Rosay repped this.
  12. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    You mean you wouldn't prefer watching Immobile run around in circles and score on one of every five chances?

13. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Hahaha. Or what about the awesome Zaza.

Rosay repped this.
  14. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #64 Rosay, Jan 27, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2019
    [​IMG] Balotelli scored for Marseille a couple days ago against a 2nd place Lille. we'll see how he does here for the rest of the season

15. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    one of every five chances is pretty generous for Immobile.

gumbacicc repped this.
  16. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
  17. Alex101

Alex101 Member

Mar 15, 2017
    #67 Alex101, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
    ....little bored

Prediction for Mancini's first qualifier

---Donarumma--
    --De Sciglio--Romagnoli--Bonucci--Florenzi
    ---Barella--Veratti--
    ------Zaniolo-----
    --Chiesa-----Insigne
    -----Immobile----

Bench:

Meret
    Sirigu
    Cristico(Mancini's toyboy)
    Birghi
    Calabria
    Mancini
    Acerbi
    Pellegrini
    Jorignho
    Sensi
    Politano
    Quags
    Inglese

I don't think Bernadeschi, Rugani, Perin shouldn't be called up as they are benchers at Juve (great career choices). Zaniolo is a phenomenon. Mancini should be picking players who start or are in form.

18. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Bernardeschi will and should be there... you use the excuse that hes a "bencher" at Juve... yet you have MDS in your starting XI???

You also only have 1 guy on the bench (Politano) who could theoretically cover Chiesa and Insigne..should they need a change in your formation (fatigure, injury, etc).

UdineseFan98 repped this.
  19. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Perin plays just as much as Meret, Bernardeschi and Rugani will defintely be there

20. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    He actually has started a considerable number of Juve games. He was benched a lot last month because he was injured a bit and not 100% fit, but he is starting almost every other game now.

UdineseFan98 and Rosay repped this.
  21. gumbacicc

gumbacicc Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    USA
    Bernardeschi could and arguably should start for the NT. The only reason he doesn't routinely start for Juve is that he has to battle people like Douglas Costa and Dybala for a starting role. No one else in Italy has that type of intra-squad competition. Nonetheless, he has seen time and has impressed in the opportunities given.

Someone must also explain to my why we feel Immobile should start. He is a donkey, and has proven it time and again.

calabrese8 repped this.
  22. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #72 Nek Sanalet, Feb 9, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Exactly. Berna could walk on any other team in Serie A besides Juve and start immediately (no questions asked). Immobile is fine on the bench, but not a starter. I've also watched Torino quite a bit this season and Belotti has been atrocious. I would take Quags and Immobile (maybe Gabbiadini if he continues to play well for Sampdoria) as bench players and continue with the false 9 of Insigne, Berna, and Chiesa.

So you don't call up Berna but you call up Politano? A guy who also doesn't start regularly (and has far less competition to beat in his squad) and has half the talent. And Inglese is even less clinical than Immobile. I think a false 9 is the way to go since only Quags is getting it done at the CF position (and Immobile... though never for the national team). Take five wingers (Berna, Berardi, Insigne, Chiesa, and El Shar) and then Quags and/or Immobile. Mancini should not waste a selection on a third center forward.

Rosay repped this.
  23. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    What about Cutrone? I feel Cutrone or Quags should start as striker for now. Or we can play Insigne as a false 9.

24. johnny6

johnny6 Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Jun 29, 2011
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I had a feeling Belotti was going to be a one hit wonder, too bad really because he was killing it a couple of years ago. Quag is old and should not start, good super sub, Immobile shouldn't start either. I'd stick with the false 9, we just don't have a standout striker anymore, no reason to force one.

25. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Belotti was man of the match today. He tracked back and hustled all game.

calabrese8 repped this.