Euro 2020 Qualifying Official Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Mean Machine, Dec 1, 2018.

1. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #251 totti fan, Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
    yeah I offered to do a play by play comparison of Montolivo (1st match that comes up in search on Youtube) v Verratti (best match of his career) and indestructible shat his pants. Wonder why?

2. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He laughed at you, the same reason why everyone else does.

3. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Answer: Because he's a cowardly weasel that knows he will lose.

4. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Indestructible is the one on the left.
    [​IMG]

5. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    None of your bait will work because everyone has seen it before. You're a laughing stock.

MonLOLivo, lol...oh man....oh mannnn....lol

6. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Maybe CR7 is becoming a huge influence on him

Deleted User x repped this.
  7. GIGI RIVA

GIGI RIVA Member

Fiorentina
    Canada
    Aug 24, 2009
    Guelph Ontario
    Club:
    ACF Fiorentina
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Italy is transition mode after the debacle with Ventura and the useless idiots in the FIGC I think there is still some work to do still . I do believe Italy is on the right track I do believe Italian Soccer is missing that proficient goal scorer like a Vieri or Rossi or Inziagi , Also we need more depth in most positions give uus 2 to 3 years we will be back

8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #258 falvo, Mar 24, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  9. thorus

thorus Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Agree 100% with you. I think at this point in his career, 20-30 minutes a game would work.

He could even start against some of the smaller teams.

10. thorus

thorus Member

Feb 28, 2016
    Club:
    --other--
    Same here. To be honest, I've only seen play, for club and country, half a dozen times.....but he always looks like he's overwhelmed by even inferior players.

Got that same vibe when Montolivo was playing for the national team.

11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I also like him a lot but by Euro 2020, Fabio Quagliarella will be 37 & 1/2 years of age. I can't ever remember Italy playing a forward or midfielder in that age range. GK's Dino Zoff & Gigi Buffon are the only two players I recall playing for the national team at that advanced age. Antonio Di Natale played in 2012 at 34 and he scored against Spain but that is all I can remember. It will have to depend on his form next season.

12. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired

13. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    @indestructible finish him

14. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    Ya think. lol.

15. Hulk_Hogan_Italia

AC Milan
    Italy
    Aug 17, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I always liked Montolivo. I don't think he is the greatest but he is not as bad as most people think. At least he tries and works hard every game.

Rosay and totti fan repped this.
  16. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He has world class hair.

Rosay and Hulk_Hogan_Italia repped this.
  17. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Because it's an exercise in futility. I was trolling you and you didn't even notice. If you think you can gauge a players worth by youtube hl's, you are more brain dead than I imagined

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  18. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  19. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Immobile was trash as usual except for the assist for Kean. It's no coincidence that Bernardeschi started lighting it up when a real prima punta with mobility and skill came in. 2 beautiful assists for Quags. Speaking of Quags, he's miles better than any center forward we have right now. Sad to say, but it is true. He keeps himself in tremendous physical condition. Remember sports science is a lot more advanced today than 20 yrs ago so players are going longer at high levels.

Jorginho and Verratti had terrible spacing in this game. They were 5 feet apart at times. They honestly should not play together. Jorginho sucks. He's so slow, so lacking in athleticism...that it really cripples the team. A guy like Pirlo can get away with that because of his vision and passing. Jorginho doesn't have that. He's got to sit in favor of someone like Pellegrini or Zaniolo.

Kean is an athletic freak, but he is not the most skilled player on the ball. The question is can he carve out a career like Pippo Inzaghi who lacked skill but was very timely with his inserimenti and goals. Lethal finisher.

We really missed Chiesa this game IMO. The Fins were packed in the middle and Piccini and Biraghi were not enough to spread them out.

I'm pretty excited about the new talent that is up and coming. But, that prima punta position needs to be fixed ASAP. I'm praying Belotti can get back to form. They are badly missing a player like that. Quags will have to do in the meantime.

Here's how I would play when everyone is healthy:

--------------------Quags----------------
    ----Chiesa--------------------Bernardeschi
    -----Zaniolo----Verratti---------Barella
    DeSciglio---Bonucci---Chiel-------Spinazzola
    ----------------Donnarumma--------------

TorontoCalabria and Deleted User x repped this.
  20. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018

That looks like our best 11 if the euros were today but do you not rate Florenzi as a fullback? I would have Florenzi on the right and Spinazzola or Biraghi on the left.

Regarding Quags I don’t think age is a negative factor as he was never this good in his so called prime. In his case rare as it is he has seemed to bloom late. Last season was his best ever and now he’s topped his record from last with plenty of games yet.
    If he is fit and scores more than 15/19 goals next season then there is no reason not to bring him. He has learned something that he didn’t know until the age of 35, remarkable.

21. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Beggars can't be choosers

22. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Chiesa is overrated and do we really need 3 guys up front who have little or no inclination to combine with each other. We need at least some players who can create, I've made my views clear on that aspect in the midfield.

Kean at least tried to look for others at times. Even found the fullback at one point early. The rest are single-minded. Berna's selfishness was dismaying b4 Quag's came on.

Mancini likes pace which is why he picks Immobile in the C.f. position. No doubting Quag's run of form at the moment but he needs to start a match when defences are fresh and organised for an honest appraisal. I'd take the old man to the Euro's in a heartbeat if he delivers in qualifying.

Also Balo deserves at least one more chance.

23. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He must have been saying his prayers and eating his vitamins

Hulk_Hogan_Italia repped this.
  24. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    Germany played an interesting 352 variation today with two false forwards/wingers up top being Sane Gnarby with Gortezka behind them as the 10. I know Mancini doesn’t favour a back three but I think we also have the personnel for this formation and it could solve our lack of a quality #9. You can sub in Chiesa, Kean and change the fullbacks, or even have Bernardeschi playing fullback but something like this could be interesting.

——--—-Insigne——Bernardeschi
    Spinazzola—-—Zaniolo————-Florenzi
    ————Barella———Verratti
    ——Chiellini——Bonucci——Romagnoli
    ————————Gigio

25. 'Uaglio

'Uaglio Member+

Jun 8, 2004
    NYC
    Sorry, I had Spinazzola and DiSciglio swapped. I like Florenzi, but I'm a big believer that you if you have one of our full backs attacking a lot (ie. Spinazzola), then your other one should provide cover to the two central defenders (especially when they are slower footed). DiSciglio does that.

I highly rate Chiesa. His pace and skill are a breath of fresh air. He's mature beyond his years and is a real professional like his dad. He's in my starting 11 every single time if he's healthy. Bernardeschi we know can be very special....but he is best when there is movement for him to target (ie. CR7 or Mario M.). That's why I think Quags is worth trying. Immobile just runs around like a chicken with his head cut off. Yes, he has some speed, but he really can't do much when he's closed down. He's Inzaghi basically without the clinical ability to stay cool in front of the goal and finish.

I've always been one of Verratti's biggest supporters, but you can't pair Jorginho with him. It just kills our attacks. It's the battle of the 5 yard back pass. Jorginho is a waste to me. It's like playing with 10 men. He's always good for a major turnover or two. Speaking of turnovers, I love Verratti but I never understand his obsession with holding onto the ball for too long. He likes to play with fire and draw the double team just to prove he can beat it. It can be very costly at times.

To me, the idea of using Zaniolo is an interesting one. It can work IF Barella works his tail off for him. I'd love a team that had the luxury of either Zaniolo or Barella making runs into the box with Chiesa and Bernardeschi pressuring defenses on the wings. Do you know what kind of strain that is on a defense? It would create a lot of space for a prima punta to destroy teams. Problem is...we don't have one right now other than Quags.

TorontoCalabria and totti fan repped this.