Euro 2020 Qualifying Official Thread

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by Mean Machine, Dec 1, 2018.

1. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    Yes Quags over Immobile until further notice. I would bring Quags Balotelli and Cutrone if the Euros were this summer.

2. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Midfield creativity is lacking. If you want to count 5 to 10 foot passes back and forth as a sign of accuracy and creativity, then knock yourself out. I saw two snails on the pitch.

Keane looked good, and Quags was just flat out dangerous with his two touches. Immobile needs to sit.

3. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    3 points. Good start.

It’s obvious that with Insigne and Chiesa, this 4-3-3 is better at holding possession but also creating chances. I still don’t think this is the way Italy should play though. Jorginho needs to be sub player for Verratti. And this team needs a true box to box mid.

Overall positive. Barella was the best for Italy.

Calcio Pauly and r0adrunner repped this.
  4. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Call me crazy but I still think a false 9 with Berna over Balotelli is the way to go (our two goals came from MF and LW. Too bad Quags isn't a few years younger.) But like you, I think that should be our midfield of the future...

Right now, I would probably take Belotti over Cutrone.

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  5. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes, Belotti over Cutrone now.

6. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    I agree you don’t need two snails just the one will do but Verratti lite up the stat board even if you discount his passing. Clearly the superior of the two if you need to only start one going forward.

7. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Verratti is clearly superior to Jorginho. But watching Barella out there today, I also realized....why not have two dynamic guys like that supporting Verratti instead of just one.

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  8. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    again, he has 3 single minded hungry forwards in front of him and is playing against a mediocre opposition at home. i don't care what his pass accuracy is when he's playing shoelace length passes in his own half or how many dribbles to nowhere he makes. Chances created and goals scored is what its about. He fails in that department consistently.

9. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018
    Barella is a shoe in for me, we haven’t had a player like him for a generation. Marchisio was close but he’s better in that role.

Who else would you play though?

I still need to see Zaniolo Barella and Verratti together, it might not be as balanced as I imagine.

Pellegrini? Cristante I suppose is similar to Barella if a little more timid.

10. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    that's what the manager asked of him? The manager asks a player to do what he is capable of. If Verratti is out there to predominantly take up space who is the playmaker Mancini has designated to feed the 3 forwards?
    Verratti lacks poise and vision.

11. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Berna was a selfish moron tonight

12. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #237 Nek Sanalet, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    I would definitely play Zaniolo. He's been playing further up the pitch as a RW for Roma lately, but Mancini has been on record as saying that he consider's him more of a box to box mid. So perhaps he already has designs on giving him one of those three spots in the future. Pellegrini and Cristante are good choices off the bench. I rate both of them above Sensi (who probably only made the squad because Pellegrini was hurt).

TorontoCalabria repped this.
  13. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    You have to understand that on this forum, unless Verratti scores a hat trick, setups a poker and bangs 3 women... he sucks. All this according to a retard that rates Montolivo as the gold standard of Italian midfielders

14. indestructible

indestructible Member+

SSC Napoli
    Jan 14, 2007
    Mercato Professor
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Are you a Chelsea fan ?

15. TorontoCalabria

Fiorentina
    Italy
    Sep 12, 2018

Yes that is our best 3 but certainly the others can push for their spots. We are nearly out of the doldrums when it comes to the midfield. The days of Giacherini and Parolo are behind us. I wonder if anyone else will emerge by this time next year. Maybe Tonali?

On another note I don’t see anyone complaining about formation in the press or on social media. I’m happy to see consistency after Ventura but is 433 our best option? I would have to say yes but I could see a 442/4411 343 working as well.

16. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    yep and up is down and left is right

17. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    He shined vs Atletico in the return leg, but has he been consistent all season?

Deleted User x repped this.
  18. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    What do you expect from someone who also claims that the world owes a debt of gratitude to Stalin?

But that pass man, that one pass in that one game to Balotelli...that pass...

19. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Please can we just forget about Balotelli. He clearly does not belong on the national team. His attitude is not good enough and he gets lazy so easily. 60% of the time, he doesn't even show up.

We've got Quagliarella and Kean. Kean is a really good player and played wing today but when Chiesa gets back, we should try Kean as striker as I am sure he would do very well up top as well. Then we can either do Insigne or Quaglierella there. That is 3 options for up top.

Forwards: Bernardeschi, Chiesa, Insigne, Kean, and Quaglierella. Maybe take Cutrone as well to the Euros.

If everyone is healthy those are the forwards we should be taking with us. Balotelli doesn't belong here. Immobile doesn't belong here. Belotti appears to be a flop so far. If Belotti starts scoring again for his club, maybe we can consider him, but he has not really impressed me. El Shaarawy doesn't belong here either.

20. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Montolivo was actually a solid midfielder. I was a fan of him. in his prime he's the closest thing to Pirlo we had in the past 9 years on gli azzurri

totti fan repped this.
  21. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    I mean he was injured and didn't play much so far, but I've liked him every time he played though. This guy is not only talented but he works so hard with so much urgency, it is so fun to watch and admire. He works so hard for the team.

22. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    Also I disagree about not playing Jorginho and Verratti together. They are not as similar as you might think. Verratti likes to run and does some great passes. Honestly we are lacking in midfield right now and I believe it is best to stick with both of them together. Zaniolo could be the future but he still has a lot to prove. Currently: Jorginho, Verratti, and Barella are our best midfielders. If Marchisio finds his form we can consider calling him back, but otherwise we are lacking in midfield.

23. L'immortale

L'immortale Red Card

Italy
    Nov 13, 2017
    Retired
    Are you a fan of Totti as well?

24. calabrese8

calabrese8 Member+

Feb 9, 2008
    Vancouver
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  25. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #250 Buffonfan, Mar 23, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    No Sir L'immortale, Totti retired from the national team in 2006, I don't know him well enough or familiar with him enough to be his fan. I started following the WorldCup closely since 2010, at that time Totti already retired. I'm sure he is a great player, it just when he at the peak of his career, I haven't watch soccer yet.

I'm a fan of Buffon. And Chiellinni, I hope Chielinii never retired, I will miss him, he is a veteran.

As for Bernardeschi, I wouldn't call I'm his fan, I just think he is an eye-candy, he has a handsome face (he sure has too many tattoos all over both his arms), but his handsome face make up for it. I just like to look at him.
    I'm a 35 year olds woman with one kid, it already embarssing that I find myself to like to stare at a 25 years old Bernadeschi, lol

As for Verratti, I'm on the Verratti camp here, I always want him to go to Juventus to help with the midfield (since Juventus so lacking in that department), but PSG just wouldn't let him go. Not only he is a great midfielder, but he great on the ball too, despite his not very tall height, but once he has the ball, you don't see many people can actually get the ball from his posession.