EURO 2020 Power Rankings

Discussion in 'Euro 2020 (2021)' started by Kamtedrejt, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Now that the qualifying phase has concluded it's time to throw a look at the qualified teams and rank them in a Power Ranking.
    This ranking is a result of different parameters such as squad strenghts, post World Cup 2018 results and performances.
    Too make things clear I have watched several nations across the last months and this is how I perceive the teams right now. The letters behind indicate in which category I put the team in order to have a measure for better understanding of the strenght.

1) France.......................A+
    2) Belguim.....................A+

3) Italy............................A
    4) Netherlands..............A

5) Portugal....................A-
    6) England.....................A-
    7) Germany...................A-

8) Ukraine......................B+
    9) Croatia......................B+
    10) Spain.......................B+

11) Switzerland.............B
    12) Denmark.................B
    13) Sweden...................B
    14) Austria.....................B
    15) Turkey......................B

16) Poland......................B-
    17) Russia......................B-

18) Wales.......................C+
    19) Czech Rep...............C+

20) Finnland...................C

What is looking your Power Rankings like, folks? Let's have an healthy discussion. If you don't agree with some of my placements I will give short reasoning for why I put where I put it.

Nani_17 and calabrese8 repped this.
  2. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I mostly agree with you, and I may make my own list, but I'm curious about mostly a couple of things. Why do you feel Spain doesn't belong anywhere amongst the A's? And also how do you figure a team like Austria could be ranked above Poland, Wales, Russia or even the Czechs? Not criticising at all, as I think it mostly makes sense. Just curious.

3. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Regarding Spain I have watched their away games in Norway and Sweden in October. I wasn't impressed at all with what I saw. It's still that posession based game "Tiki Taka" they call it I think but they are missing a lot of firepower and directness upfront. There is no spark no tempo whatsoever. Spain is very boring to watch and easily gets stiffled against half-decent teams.
    I thought actually under Lopetegui Spain was on its way back to the top. After sacking him they had a disappointing World Cup and they bottled it in the Nations League after two wins in the first two games. Now look at qualfying. OK, they topped their group comfortably. But the games with Sweden, Norway and Romania were all very close and it took them often penalties to score against those mediocre sides. I don't count the last Matchday at home vs. Romania because that was basically a friendly as it wasn't anything to play for anymore neither for Spain nor Romania. It doesn't surprise me that Spain won that game 5-0. Spain generally does a lot better when pressure is off. They don't have anymore Xavi or Iniesta from their old good days who leaded their midfield, dictated the flow of the game, created chances. What they now possess in midfield is not bad don't get me wrong but it's far away from the class of the former mentioned two. They also lack a prolific goalscorer. Do you really count on Rodrigo to score the goals? Looking at their away performances they couldn't hold it tight at the back either. Only a clean sheet in Malta, conceded in Sweden, Norway, Romania and even Faroe Islands. You see this is a side with plenty of issues going to the EUROs. Spain in this shape is far away from being a favourite to lift the trophy. It was announced that Luiz Enrique would take back his post. Maybe he can do something for them but I feel it's a too short period of time to change things drastically for the better. They've got maybe only four friendlies to adjust things. I would be shocked if Spain goes beyond the quarterfinals next year. What works for them a bit is that they've got three home games in Bilbao in the group stage. In the knockout stage though they will struggle. No doubt.

4. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #4 Kamtedrejt, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Austria looked mostly good in this qualfying. They had a terrible start with two defeats in the first two games. But they responded very strongly. They remained unbeaten until the last matchday where they fielded a B-side and lost an irrelevant game to Latvia. To come back in this fashion after such a poor start isn't easy at all. I watched several of Austria's matches. In Poland they were the better side and were unlucky to not have it won. Also away in Slovenia which was basically the decider who would qualify between both sides they limited Slovenia to only two shots on target and displayed very solid football with good short passing. They have some good players in their team such as Alaba, Arnautović, Sabitzer, Lazaro or Hinteregger from Frankfurt. I feel there is also a good team spirit in the team. Where they are lacking is in the forward position. They use there Arnautović although he is more a winger than a striker. From what I saw they have a better tactical game than Poland. Poland is still a very one dimensional side and dependent on Lewandoeski showing up. Wales doesn't have such a decent squad as Austria I think. Under Giggs there don't look as strong as four years ago. Russia had a good qualfying campaign but their group was trash apart from Belguim and they got badly exposed by Belgium at home. This made me putting Russia that low. The Czechs really don't have special players. I regard their home victory over England a bit as a fluke. Also Southgate fielded a strange line up there. For my money Austria has all the pieces together to be a surprise team next year. In my view they can reach the quarterfinals if they don't get a terrible draw.

5. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Thanks Kamtedrejt. You have clearly seen more matches than I, so I'll take your word for it. I just have a hard time ranking Spain a bit lower though I agree they get exposed much more now, and clearly tiki taka isn't nearly as effective as it once was. Nevertheless though, they just have so much talent I hesitate to ever overlook them. I've personally viewed Austria the last few years as around the same level as Poland minus Lewandowski. If they did look the better team playing in Poland away, than your rankings make sense.

6. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    #6 Kamtedrejt, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
    So how does my ranking mirror my expactations how the teams will perform next year? What do I regard as limit for a certain side?

It might sound a bit extreme but I think only the sides that I ranked A+ and A have a shot at the title next year. I regard it as highly unlikely that a side outside of France, Belguim, Italy and Netherlands makes the Final. That's my honest opinion as someone who follows International Football closely and has experience in predicting such events. Of course we have to wait for the draw first on 30 November in order to make a better assessment but that's how I see the matter.

Sides that I ranked A- namely Portugal, England and Germany can make the semi-finals but even this will be hard to achieve for them. I think at the very least two teams of the A+ and A grading will make the semifinals, possibly three or less likely all four. So that might leave let's say one semi-final berth for 11 teams to battle it out. (A-/B+/B grading, the rest don't have a chance).
    When you consider that EUROs tend to produce mostly at least one surprise semi-finalist so it will be very hard in my eyes for Portugal, England, Germany or Spain to reach the semi-finals next year. In 1996 we had the Czechs Republic, 2000 we had Portugal (who were back then somewhat of a surprise), 2004 we had Greece, 2008 we had Russia and Turkey, 2016 we had Wales. I don't know yet who exactly that surprise team could be in 2020 but it will be one of Ukraine or Croatia (B+) or a side of the B grading. (Switzerland, Denmark, Sweden, Austria or Turkey).
    Russia and Poland (B-) can make the Round of 16 but everything beyond that will require something special in my eyes. The Czech Rep. and Wales (C+) are less likely to pass the group stage and at the same time I don't give them a chance at all to get the quarterfinals. Finnland (C) will be mostly there to gather first experiences in a major tournament. Every point would be a success for them. They can only have a shot at the Round of 16 if they have Wales or Czech Rep. or a playoff winner in their group that I rate lower than B-.

7. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    The sides which I gave a B grading should make it at least out of the group unless they get drawn in a difficult group. Probably two of them will make it to the quarterfinals. And if everything falls into place even a semi-final run for one of them seems not out of reach. Especially when you consider which less fancied sides made it to the last four in past EUROs.

8. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nice ukraine is ranked high

9. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    I think they deserve to be that high. They secured promotion to League A in the Nations League but more importantly they topped their qualfying group with Portugal and Serbia and remained unbeaten in the process. And they also achieved these results by playing a refreshing football. I hope they can replicate that in the EUROs next year. If they can they are a very good dark horse pick indeed.

10. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Belgium given an A+ .....as long as they don't have to play a top 10 nation.

What have they ever done to deserve so much hype?

11. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    They beat Portugal while scrambling for dear life the entire time. Yeah "refreshing"

12. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Who yould you give an A+ then? I know that Belguim might struggle against other A nations but I thought apart from France they deserved it the most to get an A+.

13. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    They went up early in the home game and defended after that. Perfectly reasonable game plan. I haven't watched the away game though in Portugal if you point on that.

14. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You didn't watch the home game in Ukraine either

15. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    #15 cromagnum, Nov 30, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Croatia although older still has a very strong midfield. Modric Rakitic Kovacic Brozovic. Modric lost a step but still plays very well for Madrid this season. Rakitic is a concern as he’s hardly played but Kovacic has been excellent for Chelsea this season. Brozovic is one of the best holding mids in the world. Attack will largely depend on younger guys. Petkovic has done a very good job replacing Mandzukic in attack. Vlasic has played really well for Croatia and has been superb for Cska Moscow. Perisic still a very effective player but not starting most game for Bayern Munich. Croatia will probably finish second then who knows.

Kamtedrejt repped this.
  16. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    In qualifying Croatia was up and down. When they were on they were superb to watch. They also had a couple of duds like losing to Hungry and tying the Azeris. England will be very hard to beat as there home and have a terrific attack. Croatia defense average at best. Must control the midfield in that game if there gonna get a result. England will be extra motivated so should be a fun game

roverman repped this.
  17. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    How are Italy and Holland A but England and Portugal A-? England and Portugal are clearly better than Holland and Italy

18. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Well these teams are interchangeable. It is totally understandable if you see it the other round. I can only say I liked more the look of Italy and Netherlands when I watched them.

roverman repped this.
  19. Toguchi

Toguchi Member

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    Dec 1, 2019
    Belo Horizonte
    When I think it's been 20 years since Euro 2000, I can't believe it... And this time I believe France will be a big favorite.

20. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I wouldn't be surprised if England are a bit flat in the first game. The alternative to them being more motivated at home is being under more pressure.

I also expect Croatia to be at their best in the tournament when it matters more. Qualification is too easy these days so it is understandable if there are a couple of bad performances in qualifying.

21. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    England couldn't beat the Netherlands in the Nations League. Our defence is unreliable. We can probably beat anyone on our day but we can lose to a lot of teams too. We're just not likely to win four knock out matches. In the last World Cup we lost to all the good teams we faced. Belgium twice and Croatia. We're better now but the defence is the reason for the minus.

22. cromagnum

cromagnum Member+

Aug 13, 2007
    That’s true all the pressure will be on England but I think they will go far in this tournament. Need one natural playmaker in midfield who can hold the ball as well. Maybe Madison will see. Foden is the future but probably not ready yet. As far Croatia goes it’s still Modric who drives the engine. There was some other players who performed really well like Vlasic and Petkovic. Modric is the still they key player as everything flows through him.

23. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
  24. False Sense

False Sense New Member

Inter Miami
    Brazil
    Jan 20, 2020
    Interesting....The Top UEFA Champions League Winners By Titles (1993-2019)

25. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    not really interesting at all.