Euro 2020 draw

Discussion in 'UEFA and Europe' started by Timanfaya, Oct 28, 2019.

1. I like Rashford, but what impact has he shown for the English team?

2. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    10 in 30 something caps.

3. I see 7 goals in 21 matches that matter. Think it's too low for his quality, although he's pulling up post WC2018 with 6 in 11.

4. roverman

roverman Member+

Dec 22, 2001
    Hes not a striker though

5. Kamtedrejt

Kamtedrejt Member+

Internazionale Milano
    Albania
    Mar 14, 2017
    Hamburg
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Albania
    Let's talk a bit about the weaklinks. Which teams are candidates to go home with 0 points?

I think Group A is quite balanced. Very unlikely a side finshes with 0 points there.

Group B you would say Finnland. But I think they will snatch at least a draw from Denmark or Russia.

Group C will be likely filled with a Playoff winner from League D. Very high chance of a team losing all three games here as even Austria should be a lot stronger than a Kosovo/Georgia/ North Macedonia.
    Austria dispatched North Macedonia in qualfying 4-1 away and 2-1 at home. Well my assessment doesn't seem too off.

Group D can easily produce a team with 0 points. This time it won't be a playoff winner (likely Serbia or Norway) but the Czech Rep. They are no match for England and Croatia. Vast gap of quality to both sides mentioned. I wouldn't favour their chances either against Serbia. If they get Norway they could get a point though.

Group E looks unlikely too. Sweden, Poland and let's say Bosnia or Ireland look quite similiar to each other in terms of quality.

Group F on the other hand is very likely to produce a 0 points team. France, Germany and Portugal will take points off against each other, so they will badly in the need of a win against the Playoff winner from League A to ensure qualfying to the Round of 16.

roverman repped this.
  6. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    Perhaps, had the current Euro champions won their qualifying group, this would have been a non-issue.

Marcho Gamgee and unclesox repped this.
  7. Well, one after another Orange striker is injured seriously. We're going to suck this tournement.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, although it does come across as an odd seeding system since group winners can end up in different pots. Its good that it keeps qualifying games meaningful even if you've already clinched your group, but at the same time it seems a bit random to rank teams that way.