EURO 2020: Reigning, Defending, Champions Of Europe General Discussion

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Nov 20, 2018.

1. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This. Portugal play is too predictable at times...

2. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well since an ineligible player would benefit Portugal UEFA will surely look the other way like they do everything else when it comes to refereeing our games. We just need to win the rest of our games or win the playoff. That simple.

3. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yup no where to be found on ESPN... Ridiculous.

4. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    I really don’t mind who we put on but to call up a 29 year old Brazilian considering the talent we have really does my head in.

eurodad repped this.
  5. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Who plays for Braga - meaning he has no chemistry or previous experience with anyone else on the roster.
    Contrast that with Jota and Felix who play day in and out with several possible starters...

6. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

That's the problem. The FPF dick rides SLB so hard, we end up with scrubs like Pizzi and Rafa starting games and being absolutely useless.

Chemistry has nothing to do with it. If you know how to play then you know how to play. I do think Jota deserves minutes simply because he's a better player than Silva and we already Silva blows.

Either way, tactics make up a majority of it and our coach is just a dipshit.

7. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    #132 Sumol, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    UEFA, what's the point of having WRITTEN RULES if you aren't even going to follow them? That's like the US ripping up the constitution and throwing it into a dumpster fire.

No integrity (as if we didn't know that already) but this just goes onto show that they can be bribed easily and turn the cheek whenever they want.

The FPF better be fighting this like Luxembourg is.

We should have won those two games anyway. I know everyone is dogging on Santos but had we not had such bad luck, we would have won those games. We drew against teams that parked the bus, it happens.

8. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I am somewhat confused about your post. Did you come across information suggesting UEFA is not going to act on this?

Both Lux. and Port. have filed complaints, however apparently you only have 24 hours after the final result to do so, this news coming out is past those 24 hours in Portugals case, but not Lux. That being said, we do not know if Portugal did not file an appeal before hand ,with the news only getting out now.

While i am skeptical about UEFA giving Ukraine two losses, there is also something there if both Portugal and Luxembourg are filing appeals, they would not do so if for no reason with the possibility of looking like scum if these appeals would not be considered. So i def think there is a possibility here of UEFA acting on this.

9. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The article i read off of twitter was a bit older. I did further research after your post. Thanks for this.

10. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So did we file the complaint on time or not?

11. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Its our National team, I dont give a rats ass what team our players play for so lets stop the clubismo when it comes to NT. What I dont understand is why with the success we had in games leading up to the qualifier why he picked these forwards and mids. When CR went off injured, he brought in Pizzi ? Really ? Silva looked completely lost and is useless when we play against teams that are parking the bus. We need players with much more creativity and we also need players to take shots when there is an opportunity and not always looking for Ronaldo. Bernard Silva is a perfect example.
    One last point, we are blessed with an abundance of talented players, we DONT need to do the Brazil thing, thats embarrassing.

12. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    We have a difficult time with teams that park the bus but it also does not help with the player selection either. We were much more creative in our preparation games leading up to the qualifiers. The teams we face should dictate the kind of players we field. I hope our coach learns this quick. Also, I love Ronaldo to pieces but when he players for us, all of a sudden, every thing has to go to him. That makes us predictable and easy to defend.

13. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Like i said in an earlier post, it is possible Portugal filed the appeal within 24 hours, and media just not picking up on it.

However, the way the media is presenting the news, it seems like while we did file an appeal, we did so after the 24 hour window teams are given after a final result.

Luxembourg however did file an appeal with 24 hours, so basically they did the work for both themselves and for Portugal if the appeal was not filed in time by the FPF.

Man,if Uefa does not do award both Portugal and Luxembourg the victories, i dont even know.. rules and rules.. and i just cant imagine the two federations filing appeals to Uefa if there was not a legit reason to do so.

I am curious though, how long would these appeals take? I would imagine they would try and determine the outcome of this situation ASAP, or at the very least before the next round of qualifiers (even though Portugal doesnt play due to Nations League)

14. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah, I completely agree. The force feeding to Ronaldo pisses me off. Yeah he is great but this is a team sport and Portugal has too much talent to be playing that way. It doesn't help our case when the pundits/haters call Portugal a one man team

15. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    I couldn't believe Pizzi and Rafa both on at the same time while someone like Jota Lysol wiping the bench. That is a massive joke. Andre Silva has been sucking hard.

I can care less about this Ukraine ineligible player crap. We should of won that game. End of story. Don't need any help from UEFA which would be a first :D

16. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    https://www.abola.pt/Nnh/Noticias/Ver/780332

17. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    I'm not going to lie - it feels a little cheap as it was just a matter of months. Nevertheless, rules are rules and nobody is going to feel pity for Ukraine's clearly mercenary Brazilian player on their roster (who one wonders was rushed into the NT conveniently during the qualification phase). I sincerely cannot imagine any other outcome than forfeit of those 2 games for Ukraine. I remember not too long ago when Real Madrid also played the wrong player in a game and they had to forfeit that game - and, similarly, nobody could believe that a powerhouse like Real could make such an amateur hour mistake.
    If UEFA rules favorably at least it would partly negate the bad taste of those 2 missed blatant penalties in consecutive games. If they somehow excuse Ukraine, on the other hand, I will start making tinfoil hats...

verde-rubro repped this.
  18. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Hollywood, FL, United States
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    FFU President states that FIFA and UEFA experts had been consulted prior to inviting Moraes to the national team, so FFU truly believes they are in the right. Of course, should FIFA find otherwise the "FIFA and UEFA experts" will not matter.

interestingly, Luxemburg's Gerson Rodrigues has an even weaker case to be an eligible player. That opens a whole new can of worms.

It also must be noted, that Moraes had been living in Ukraine since 2012 and the only questionable stretch would have been his 4-month loan to China, during which he maintained residency in Ukraine. So, the question then becomes the interpretation of "living 5 consecutive years". Does physical residence or legal residency take precedence here?

For those who think that Portugal should win here, it should be a bit of cold shower, as this is, at best, a 50-50 situation

19. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    You are right. It is likely a 50/50 situation. I mean, we all hope that Ukraine is deducted points. In truth, while Portugal 'tied' 2 games. They should have been awarded a PK in both. Easy calls. This would definitely help justify those mistakes to some degree (altho the PK is not a guaranteed goal).

Do you or anyone else know how long this process could take to determine the outcome?

20. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Hes a mercenary and not Ukrainian, he’s playing for you guys with not cultural or historical ties. What Ukraine and Russia are doing with Brazilians is pretty pathetic to be honest. I’m still Uncomfortable with Brazilians playing for Portugal but At least with us there’s the common language, the cultural lineage and also for most players a direct descendant from Portugal.

To naturalise players for the sake of competitive advantage imo is nonsense

21. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I had a nightmare that we couldn’t score and we drew all of our euro qualifier games.

22. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    #147 goliath74, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    You do realize that he has played in Ukraine since 2012? He is proficient in Russian (as he predominantly played in the Russian-speaking East of Ukraine) and, after 7 years, I would be very surprised if he wasn't.

23. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    It’s not the point I’m making I personally think if you arrive in a country after you hsvr learnt to play football and then switch it’s not in the spirit of football. Im not a fan of Dyego Sousa playing for Portugal, I have less problem with Pepe, Deco & soon to be Grabriel as they either have there lineage direct with Portugal or arrived at 18 & hadn’t fully developed. This mercenary style which degrades international football of its essence. This isn’t club football

24. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Maybe the guy married a local Ukrainian and has a kid. We can't judge considering our track record.

goliath74 repped this.
  25. goliath74

goliath74 Member

May 24, 2006
    Club:
    FC Dynamo Kyiv
    Nat'l Team:
    Ukraine
    I don't know. But our very first Brazilian, Edmar, did marry a local girl and even added her last name to his own.

I have no idea about Marlos and Moraes. The only thing I do know is that they played almost their entire adult footballing career in Ukraine.