EURO 2020: Reigning, Defending, Champions Of Europe General Discussion

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Nov 20, 2018.

1. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Penalty!!

EDIT: HOW AND WHY WAS THAT WIAVED OFF

2. Zacarías

Zacarías Member

Real Betis
    Spain
    Jul 19, 2017
    Sevilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Foda-se filho da puta… how was that not a penalty???

3. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Wtf???? Are you kidding me??? That was a handball in the box!!! Another PK the refs screw Portugal out of!

4. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Horseshit.

5. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    If not a penalty it should have been a corner.... wtf is going on here?

6. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Where is this ref from? He's been horrible all game.

7. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Poland.

8. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Is there no VAR?! What is going on?!

9. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    how is there no VAR

10. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Maybe because its Euros? I really dont know why VAR is not used for these games.

11. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Another bullshit draw at home... wtf...

12. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We played well enough to win and score a handful of goals. Serbia had multiple goal line clearances and we just couldnt finish.

William was a beast and needs to leave Betis, We should have had a clear PK, ridiculous.

We have to go to Kiev and Belgrade now, it's going to be difficult to qualify.

13. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Portugal really should’ve won that game!!!
    Forget about the referee the chances we had, we really should’ve punished them at least once in that second half

14. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
  15. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Only 2 games played and we already have calculators in hand.
    This is a small group, only 6 games remain, not much room for error.

Even the Luxembourg games are going to be tough, Ukraine needed a last minute goal to beat them.

Our next game is in September, in Serbia this time.

16. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    we just have to hope when we go to their places they will play more open as they are at home and we can nick a goal BUT BUT our defense has to be in good form

17. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Man.. i am lost for words.. we needed 3 pts from atleast one of these games and should have had 6.

It is going to be ridiculously tough to qualify from this group, let alone to top it.

The scariest thing to me from this epic failure.. is how confused we are as Portuguese. The majority of us make suggestions Portugal play better without Ronaldo.. he is getting up there in age, and only God knows how much longer he has left..

and then today happened.. he got hurt.. we had a million chances.. and NO ONEEEEEEEE to put them away. This is where we miss Ronaldo.

I dont know man.. i am so lost now.. i didnt expect to walk out of two home games with 2 points.. very disapointing.

p.s i agree with the person stating Neves should be in. As poor as he was last game, he is our only threat to shoot from deep, and opposing teams need to respect that, opening up space behind the CB's..

18. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    That last minute goal was an own goal. Defender hits into his own net trying to clear it.

19. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    wow ref and line man and santos just seen the replay of the pen and said sorry to santos

20. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Lol, okay calm down. Something is "ridiculously tough" when the odds are against you. If I was to wager $100 as of right now for Portugal to qualify, I'd probably get back $140. In other words, the odds are still very much in our favour. I've seen people overreact here for years and years, sometimes justified but mostly not. I would say this is one of those times where in hindsight people will realize they over thought things. Luck will turn, the ref today and that linesman fu^&ed us, but it will turn around if the law of averages has anything to say.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  21. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    To be honest those first 30 minutes we played some quality stuff, and should have had 3/4 goals.

Even with Ronaldo there and Diego Souza, so it goes to show when the team plays a quick tempo with Bernardo drifting more into the middle and Ronaldo not getting every pass we can be a top quality team.

22. Tertuliano

Tertuliano Member

Jun 4, 2018
    I agree with fact Portugal can still qualify, but let's be honest, the prospect of going to Eastern Europe needing results after having drawn two home games to begin this qualifying is more than a little concerning. As per usual with Portugal, this will not be easy ! but getting just a bad feeling with this, just a horrid way to start. They did not look awful, but not great either. I just hope, like you say, things break our way, and talent ultimately prevails. Just wanted to say, this isn't anyone overreacting, this will BE tough from here on in, dogfight to qualify for sure, so much so that I am already looking at alternative routes to qualification, namely Nations league, but that is far from a done deal as well.

23. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    No need to look at alternative routes, the odds are we will be in the top 2 regardless. Both Ukraine and Serbia will take points from eachother, and if one doesn't, that means the other has left us a hole to jump in. Both Ukraine and Serbia are also more likely to drop points to Luxembourg and Lithuania than we are. We have to most talent and it will eventually show. Ukraine struggled today, but past games aside, Portugal will dominate Luxembourg far more than Ukraine did, and far more than Serbia will. Also, taking points aways from Serbia and Ukraine in their respective homes, not only possible, but very likely. These 2 games frustrated me as much as anyone else, but they also showed me how far superior Portugal is to both Ukraine and Serbia, despite being at home.

JoseEmidio repped this.
  24. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005

Like I said at the start this group is not straight forward but they will qualify, they’ll win in Belgrade or Kiev and that will be enough.

Also not a fan of Dyego Sousa, can’t see how he’s much of an upgrade on Eder.

25. Nani_17

Nani_17 Member+

Nov 3, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Hope that experiment is over and done with. I Want D.Jota to partner CR7, maybe most disagree, but if given a chance I'm confident it'll work.