EURO 2020: Reigning, Defending, Champions Of Europe General Discussion

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Nov 20, 2018.

1. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Well.... at least we didn't lose.

Same old story we under perform in our first qualifier. To be fair Ukraine played with 11 goalies for large stretches but FFS shoot. And why does no one make a through run in the box to drag defenders around? This passing lateral and to the back gets annoying when we are not already winning. That looked like a clear pk at the end but we should have scored at some point before the end.

The Special One repped this.
  2. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    We better see some tactical innovation against The Serbs. We are going into these qualifiers with an unprecedented way better talent level than the EURO 2016 and World Cup qualifiers.

I don't think the 'same old' 'same old' slow starters excuse is going to cut it here. We should be winning these. At least narrowly.

3. dipluso

dipluso Member+

Jul 19, 2005
    CT
    Was there something wrong with the surface of the pitch? So many poor long passes from usually reliable crosses such as Moutinho, Cancelo and Bernardo... Our crosses and long balls were bizarrely poor for most of the game - and all 3 of those guys have been playing well for club. It just seemed very strange...

4. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica

There was no reports i heard of about the pitch. Beyond that, it was in Portugal.. specifically the Luz. In other words, i believe there is no chance something was wrong with the pitch. Simply a poor game.

Guedes is healthy again (flu) and i would not be surprised to see him get a start against Serbia, more pace than Ronaldo, which translates into Ronaldo slotting into the middle who provides better finishing and heading ability than A.Silva. We do not need A.Silva for this game, he will provide literally nothing of use.

Would still love to see Cancelo play at LB and Semedo at RB. Only suggesting this because Cancelo has played on the left side for Juve multiple times. He is obviously ok and comfortable with it. Take advantage of our depth at RB.

5. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Serbia is a dangerous team, we shouldnt just open up right away and make up for Friday.

Maybe take out Neves, push Moutinho back, and start Pizzi?(Fernandes is unavailable otherwise it would be him).

Another possibility is shifting Bernardo inside and starting a quick winger like Rafa...or what I like which is Cancelo LB, Gurreiro in front of him like he plays for Dortmund, and Semedo at RB.

Rafa is good but not sure if he can make a difference at this level since Bruma and Gelson are in average form right now and Guedes just had the flu.

6. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica

I do not disagree with you. Serbia is a dangerous team and we should not take them lightly, or as you suggested play an open style of match with them from the get-go.

Not sure how much of a change we see in the starting 11 tomorrow. I think the back 4 will remain the same (unfortunately).

The ONLYYYYY change i can envision is in the midfield to be honest. I can see Moutinho being replaced for either J.Mario or B.Silva. If B.Silva, then either Guedes or Rafa taking the spot outwide.

I do like your suggestion though, of having Cancelo at LB, Semedo at RB, and Guerreiro as LW.. I think it is a solid option and gets the most out of this team from a depth perspective.

7. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Official line-up from Uefa.com

PORTUGAL: Patrício; Cancelo, Pepe, Rúben Dias e Guerreiro; Bernardo, Danilo, William e Rafa. Ronaldo e Dyego Sousa.

Danilo and William playing together is a bit strange.

Dyego Sousa starts his first ever game for us.

8. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Rafa starting? And Diego Souza?

Not sure they're up to this level.

9. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Also if this is our starting lineup Bernardo Silva better be playing in midfield ahead of William and Danilo

10. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    losing already. What is this lineup? Danilo and William? Who are we facing, Germany?

11. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    If we lose this game, we could be in a bit of trouble. It's still early but 1 point at home from 2 games would be disaster. We would have to win in Kiev and Belgrade if we want to top the group.

12. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Its very early but I am a worried. I dont get the Danilo William combo, against a top team it may be a great combo but not at home versus Serbia. Neves had a poor game but hes our only midfielder in forever that seems willing to take long range shots, anytime the ball comes to carvalho or moutinho or mario or whoever is there, there is no worries about a shot, teams know there will be a pass out wide and a cross into the box.

Two players i was so looking forward to seeing in these games were Fernandes and Felix, what a shame. Bruno would i assume been starting these two games if it werent for the injury

13. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    CR7 pulled a muscle. He's done. Pizzi replaces him.

14. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    How is that not a pk on Bernardo???

15. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Wow, Danilo can shoot

16. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
  17. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Great shot, last player I expected it from

18. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Great shot by Danilo! But still any time Serbia counter I'm holding my breath. Other than the goal from Danilo, Portugal look too predictable...

Also that should have been PK for Bernardo.

19. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Those last 2 minutes were dangerous.

20. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ok let's say anytime Serbia have the ball in Portugal's half I'm holding my breath. Wtf are they doing defensively...?

21. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    what you smoking bud?

22. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    With Danilo, William, Dias, and Pepe in the middle, they should be doing MUCH better defensively than they are right now... I think having Danilo and William pushing too far forward is causing the defensive side of things to break down. Maybe Im wrong but this is what is looking like to me so far.

23. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sounds like Ronaldo injured his hamstring from some online sources. Hopefully, its not too serious.

24. NewLaw83

NewLaw83 Member+

Jun 3, 2015
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Man, Pepe is a sneaky A-hole lol.

25. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Why does William have to be at the end of all these chances...