EURO 2020: Reigning, Defending, Champions Of Europe General Discussion

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Area 51

Area 51 Member+

Sep 5, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Andre Silva has been on the bench at Sevilla lately.

Jota could be a good option.

2. Dan82

Dan82 Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Expected line-up for today's game against Ukraine.

Rui Patrício; João Cancelo, Pepe, Rúben Dias e Raphaël Guerreiro; Rúben Neves, João Moutinho e William; Ronaldo, André Silva e Bernardo Silva.

3. Ninho29

Ninho29 Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nice to see us get back to competitive games... It's a tricky group with Serbia & Ukraine but unless something crazy were to happen and we had absolutely no luck, we should be first or second in this group, no excuses.

I believe Santos will go with something similar to this line-up:

---------------------------Patricio--------------------------------
    -----------------Pepe------------------Dias---------------------
    Cancelo---------------------------------------------Guerreiro
    ----------------------------Neves---------------------------------
    ------------Moutinho-----------------William------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    -------B.Silva-----------A.Silva------------Ronaldo---------

Felix won't start... I'd be VERY surprised if he did in a qualifying game, HOWEVER, he will get playing time and it could happen in the second half in place of A. Silva. He's definitely special but we're gonna want to ease him into it...

VAMOS PORTUGAL!

4. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    Thats the exact line up that Livesoccer.com has us starting with. Not bad but I would much rather see Felix in there. Ya he is very young but he could handle it. Would love to see him and Ronaldo....

5. Ninho29

Ninho29 Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Sweet, I should coach for the National Team then. lol

Felix is something extremely special. I agree to an extent that he "could" handle it... However, I can't NOT think about what happened to Renato Sanches. It felt similar, he was about the same age as Felix when he started for the NT. I think it's risky to start him so quickly...

Let's see what Santos think!

6. eurodad

eurodad Member+

Mar 15, 2005
    Brampton
    I get what you are saying but lets not forget, Sanches played decent for our NT even recently, it was when he went to Germany and basically sat for a couple of years that his play suffered, even then, he still played pretty well when called up for Portugal NT.

7. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    The man is senile ferro is our best in form centre back and wasn't even called up Ololololol continues to make the same mistakes from the world cup debacle.

8. Ninho29

Ninho29 Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    These jerseys are just ... MWAH!

9. ScpBoy77

ScpBoy77 Member

SCP
    Portugal
    Sep 20, 2018
    Controlling the game but Ukraine are playing stingy defense.p

10. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    As soon as CR7 steps in, the team starts acting out. It's another day in the office for him, playing for his own account. Moutinho's been also a problem. His ball is neat and crisp, but his light presence and slow pace makes the team progression sluggish and way too predictable to be a threat to the opposing side.

11. RedBullSeven

RedBullSeven Member+

Apr 28, 2012
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Their goal keeper is having a good game. Damn!

12. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nobody wants to shoot

Joao Cancelo having a horror show

13. trebaruna

trebaruna Member

Jun 13, 2017
    Los Angeles
    Another embarrassing draw

14. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    with felix it would have been won 10 minutes into the game

15. Sumol

Sumol Member+

Portugal
    Oct 12, 2011
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    all that creative talent on the bench and all we did was cross the ball with santos favorite players

16. coelho

coelho Member

May 12, 2016
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Well that was pretty ugly to watch, slow movement, indecisive, nobody wanting to shoot at all. Honestly you're up against Ukraine and not to be rude but how is a midfield of Neves and Carvalho not enough in a holding role, why was Moutinho even starting. Knowing Ukraine is going to sit on their back foot it should have been an attacking 4 3 3 with Bernardo Silva as CAM and Felix, Ronaldo and Andre Silva up front, or possibly Rafa in place of Silva.

Açores57 repped this.
  17. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Bernardo has no right foot so many times it was there for his right foot but kept cutting back out wide :(

18. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Typical Portugal. Always making things difficult.

To be completely honest, it is difficult to break down a team when all 11 men are sitting back around the 18. Sure, we could shoot, shoot, shoot, and shoot some more. Just is not these players style, though.

I did not think the game was as bad as some. The result? absolutely.

While i do not enjoy Ronaldo on the NT, as i feel it takes away from the fluidity and overall 'team approach', he did look dangerous and the desire to continue with the NT is obviously there.

To anyone screaming Joao Felix should have started this game, please.. stop. I will be surprised if he starts any 'meaningful' qualifying games this tournament (maybe against the bottom feeders/when qualifying is wrapped up)

I do agree with those questioning Moutinhos place, it isnt that i dislike the guy, but when you are facing a team you know that will sit back, why insert a clog like Moutinho? even J.Mario would have been a better option... or as some stated, B.Silva in CM, allowing someone else to step up outwide.

Portugal will come out of this group in first place. No doubt in my mind.

19. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Ideally we would have a bonified starter on the left but it's a toss up of out of form players. Also ferro with Dias for the CB pairing should be the way forward.

Attached Files:

20. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

E9CB354F-00E9-4375-94EC-3E8647249CB2.gif

21. Ninho29

Ninho29 Member

Mar 12, 2019
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Lots of control as expected but still a disappointing result to start off the qualification.

Even more disappointing, Santos decides not to sub in Felix. I get him not starting the game but give the kid a chance as he's been the best player in our league.

Serbia on Monday will be another tough challenge, they're a talented team.

Hopefully, we make the right changes and we get to play more offensive.

Must win game to stay at the top and lead the qualifications, definitely don't want to be chasing...

22. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    i-think-you-dropped-this.jpg

23. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    received_327233497929183.png
    Rafael Leao and Gelson been tearing it up at their clubs, but nah, they're not benfica players so they don't get called up.

As long as the FPF keeps dick riding Benfica, I hope this team fails and never qualifies. They don't want to clean up their own league and allow SLB to run everything ******** em.

24. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  25. The Special One

The Special One Member+

Aug 6, 2005
    Dick riding their club side, your the expert in that category so I guess we should all stand up and listen when you speak in this respect.

Gelson?? Played a couple of good games for Monaco but failed spectacularly at Athletico!!! Talk about dick riding. Rafael Leao is quality but he’s not ready.