EURO 2020: Reigning, Defending, Champions Of Europe General Discussion

Discussion in 'Portugal: National Teams' started by GoodDead, Nov 20, 2018.

1. LisbonIsOurs

LisbonIsOurs New Member

Benfica
    Portugal
    Oct 10, 2019
    I thought Guerreiro was a far bigger liability in the Uruguay match and throughout the tournament as a whole. Santos gambled and lost that he would regain form if he kept playing him instead of going with an inferior but more in form Mario Rui. On his day Guerreiro is a good player and obviously shone in 2016 but he hasn't developed at all since then IMO so if one of Cancelo, Ricardo Pereira or Nelson Semedo can impress at club level at left back it could be a shot in the arm of the Selecao also.

2. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Well some injuries . I believe both William and Danilo are unavailable. My XI vs Luxembourg.
    I am happy the game is in Alvalade, imho, the most beautiful estadio in Portugal.

——————-Patricio—————
    Pereira——Pepe—Fonte——Guerreiro
    ——————-Neves——————-
    ———-Gomes———J.Mario———
    ———————-B.Silva————-
    ————CR7————AS9

3. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Moutinho and Danilo midfield. I have a feeling Bruno fernandes is gonna be on the wing.

4. AlexJones19

AlexJones19 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
  5. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Luxembourg can play a bit. They’ve had some nice stretches. Better get another one or two before too long and just put this one to bed.

6. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Siiiiiiiiiii!!!

7. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Ha ha, it's always something ridiculous that puts a match like this to bed. Both goals so far came out of nowhere and, unsurprisinlgy, when Luxembourg was forced onto its heels.

8. HandofAbel

HandofAbel Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jun 19, 2017
    eu estou aqui
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Beautiful chip capitão.

9. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Some refs just refuse to award penalties in matches like this. The first few yells for a PK were soft, but that one on Bernardo there was fairly obvious.

Jeez, nearly a Lux. goal. I was waiting for their chance to come at 1-0.

10. fdasilva

fdasilva Member+

May 21, 2014
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    We really dont like to try that hard against these teams do we? Just once I'd like to see us flex our muscles a bit and get a scoreline like yesterday's Belgium vs San Marino. Although I get that Luxembourg is much better than San Marino.

11. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    man that was so frustrating to watch Lux playing 451 and we were so fvking slow with our build up when Lux were counting against us and we turn the ball over we were so fvking slow

12. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Bernardo was superb today.

13. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    I agree Bernardo Silva was amazing.
    But I’m sorry, Joao Felix has got to go. Keeps getting chances and does nothing with it.

I would start Joao Mario over Felix against Ukraine.

14. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Danilo is infuriating to watch, just a terrible player. The game is in slow motion whenever he receives the ball.

A better coach and we would be winning games like this far easier. I dont see why Danilo Moutinho is neccessary against such a terrible team. Better off playing Guedes or Rafa for one of those two and moving Bernardo to the midfield to run shit

15. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Yeah. I tend to agree. You base your line up on your opponent and when the opponent is of the level Lux. is, we shouldnt be running both Moutinho/Danilo out there. A simple sliding of Bernardo into the middle, with Guedes or another like wise winger in place of them and this team is flying.

16. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Man, i could not disagree with you as a poster more. Literally almost everything you say is completely backwards (your formations included).

Have you not been witnessing the connection CR7 and Felix have been establishing? The fact that not literally every single thing is going through CR7 now is a positive. The fact Ronaldo is looking for Felix is a positive.

Even more so.. the fact Felix is even getting these chances is a HUGE positive. It means he is doing something right.. the finishing? sure, it could be improved. The scoring will come.. im not worried about that.. just getting into those positions the way he does is rather impressive.. his finishing will improve. The last thing in the world you do is replace Joao Felix with Joao Mario.. i dont even know where to begin with this comment..

AlexJones19, Zacarías and verde-rubro repped this.
  17. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    spot on with every thing

18. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Where are the excuses for Felix? AKA where the attack goes to die.

Start Andre Silva at least he scores sitters.

19. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Joao Felix is wasteful. What good is getting opportunities if you squander them? He also lacks stamina and is lazy on the field. Yes I would much rather have Joao Mario, who runs much more and will keep opponents honest. Here is my lineup against Ukraine.

I liked Semedo at right back today so he deserves to keep his spot.

————————-Patricio—————-
    -Semedo——-Pepe—Dias———Guerreiro
    ————————-Danilo—————
    —————Fernandes—-b.Silva———-
    Guedes———CR7———-Joao Mario

20. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Hmm yeah I get criticized for pointing out Felix’s terrible play. I mean we are talking about a kid who was reported saying that he would rather win a champions league or ballon dor for atletico Madrid than win a World Cup with Portugal .

21. Joe Martelo

Joe Martelo Red Card

CDC Montalegre
    Portugal
    Sep 30, 2019
    Bruno Fernandes had a really
    Good game.

22. grassman

grassman Member

May 18, 2006
    Toronto
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    [​IMG]

23. SCP_16

SCP_16 Member+

Aug 8, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    So no mention of how your wet dream Felix missed a wide open sitter and does absolutely jack shit all game but still gets called up?

Still wanna whine about Bruno too?

********ing benfica dick riding dipshit.

24. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Anybody here asking for Joao Felix to sit may as well have their eyes removed.

He's got so much class and was Portugal's best player in its previous match and just tore up his last Champions League opponent, but, sure, bench him for not scoring against Luxembourg's 4-5-1...

He missed that one good chance, but did you geniuses NOT see his immaculate first touch to set up that shot? Magic, kinda like the beautiful movement/control to earn the PK against Lithuania.

He's 19 and an automatic start for Atletico Madrid and Portugal for a reason. Yet a bunch of you are ready to pull the plug after four caps. That's truly, epically short-sighted stuff. You realize this isn't fantasy football, right?

AlexJones19 and verde-rubro repped this.
  25. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    A.Silva doesnt even get into those same chances. He is a in the box type striker and that kills the attack. Atleast with Felix, we are multi-dimensional.. in other words, the opponents back line needs to focus on the striker in an area outside the 18.

Also, for the record.. A.Silva has missed plenty of easy chances.. just back track through the games.. he started off hot with the NT, but quickly fizzled out and never regained that scoring touch... which is too bad, cuz i was REALLLYYYY high on A.Silva and thought he was the solution to our striking woes.

verde-rubro repped this.