News: EURO 2017 - Vivianne M. Adoration and Qualifiers Thread

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by White/Blue_since1860, Dec 5, 2014.

?

Who will win?

1. Germany

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. Germany B

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. not Germany

19 vote(s)
    73.1%
  1. blissett

blissett Member+

Aug 20, 2011
    Italy
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Apart from rooting from my country, Italy (although I am aware that they won't have half a chance to win), I guess it's really, really, really (I mean really!) time that France win something!

2. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I really like the Italian men team, but that's mostly because of Buffon :p But Chiellini and Bonucci are gods too!!

Yeah wouldn't do me anything if France won it. Would be even better if they won the World Cup on home soil 2019..

3. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'm kinda surprised that you'll be cheering for France. because it would be once again a triumph of direct style over technical. If they win, it would mean the last bastion of technical soccer has been conquered(as the Matildas ran supreme in the last big tourney out of Asia).

But then again. hasn't this all ready happened on the men's side n Europe? with the faster paced, power forwards of France, Portugal & Wales winning over the so called more intelligent Germany, Italy & Spain sides.

Noticing that over 75% of woso fans have disappeared from this message board, perhaps they know in their heart of hearts that woso is changing from it's almost chess like quality to just straight up, direct or physical style of Canada?

The one problem with a more rapid pace, especially in woso, is that you do need the athleticism to go with. That's why we've seem bits & pieces of more direct out of the likes of Italy & Austria, but they don't have the athletic players like France does; now you see coach Echouafri bringing back into the starting lineup, arguably the fastest woman in woso in Thomis(remember how debzy used to pick on her from not being technically equivalent for his/her tastes? lol) & then Renard, who's incredibly agile for 6'2, ,and uses that size for a huge advantage or M'Bock with her powerful physique? Then add a host of up & coming more agile players like we've seen never before in Cascarino, Asseyi, Karrchaui, Tarrieu, L Thomas that perfectly fit Echouafri frantic pace, and you'll see France dominate for years to come.

4. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I don't think we play a direct style of football at all. We mix it more than before, but it is still a possession based game, because direct style is opposite of the French football DNA.

blissett repped this.
  5. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    possession is obviously important, but as captain Abily said herself

"Echouafri only knows one way;; attack, attack, attack,"

and that''s what I saw in his first game(or at least streamed), Spain had a corner kick, upon getting the ball back, France counter attack & took a shot in 4 seconds flat

6. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    The USA got a quick lesson in France's more direct approach in March. They went up 2-0 in the first 10 minutes (and added a third goal in 2nd half). Le Sommer's goal came from a lightning quick counterattack starting with a long ball from Renard.

It didn't help that our coach tried a 3-5-2 with a slow attacking midfielder as center back, but hey.

7. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Indeed that's what I mean by we mix it. We used to be very much a total attacking possession team under Bruno Bini (4-3-3).

Then Phillipe Bergeroo came in, installed a much more rigid defensive minded system ( 4-4-2 that evolved in 4-5-1 once he got rid of Thiney). We became a tighter defensive team. And at the same time more physical starting to copy the USA and try to match them on that aspect.

And when Bergeroo was sacked, Olivier Echouafni decided to go back to a more attacking possession based system but still keeping the defensive foundations made by Bergeroo and making good use of direct play when it made sense tactically.

We are nowhere near a direct long ball football team. Building up play from the back is till the number one way of playing.

blissett repped this.
  8. Juanele

Juanele Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Colorado, US
    I would love for Spain to win but we don't have much of a chance. If not Spain then I'll root for France (I was born there so they are my second adopted country I suppose).

blissett repped this.
  9. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Oh, actually I have Spain as an outsider. Probably too early for them now, but Spain is coming in women's football as well.

blissett repped this.
  10. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here's one better from France's last game.; check out at the 1.35 min. mark of the vid; Renard long balls it out of danger & turns it into a successful counter attack. It's simply amazing transition, even by men's standards

gricio61 repped this.
  11. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    in my heart I would go with Germany too(though I still think France is the better team). It's just the Bundesliga is my fav league. It's not that it's got the best teams, it just they seem to play their hearts out in every game, where as the US/NWSL might have more balance and better clubs(mostly except the Wolfies of course) they play the games so frequently, it looks more like a daily chore to them like taking out laundry to dry, lol. With the French & English leagues, it's 3 superstar teams vs a bunch of amateurs from the rest of the league. It's like the bourgeois vs the prolectariot all over again with the rich guys winning all the time!

I give credit for Stefi Jones. She's brought a lot of new talent to the squad. But her starting picks are simply atrocious! Her subs are way better than her starters. In the SBC, except for Maro Jones started her 2nd tier team, and they held France to a draw(though you got to wonder if Echouafri told his team not to play at Full Throttle & hold back to next game vs the US?). Just look at her lineup in that first half(where Germany was dominating)
    http://us.women.soccerway.com/matches/2017/03/04/world/shebelieves-cup/france/germany/2398453/

Maro, Magull, Dallmann, Bremer Hendrich together for a way more swifter side, Add Elsig,Simon & a returning Goessling, and maybe Germany will be back on top again?

12. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    To be honest, I don't know who's Jones' starters, because she's experiemented so much in her games. Maro, Peter, Popp are sure to be in her starting eleven?? o_O

But her centerbacks subs (Elsig and Hendrich) are way better than Peter and Henning, that's for sure. Elsig and Hendrich have so much potential... o_O

13. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    unfortunately seems to me that her starting lineup has resembled this sort of horror show

GK.............................Schulte

Blasse..........Henning.........Peter.........Kershowski

...............................,..Maro

Maier.........................Popp.................Dabritz

..................Petermann,,,,,,..Mittag

Mittag is tied for 12th place in scoring in the weakened Swedish League. Petermann only managed 4 goals all season long in the BUND, Maier just one. Popp looks like the busted flush over at WOB(everybody else around her plays so much faster) Maro is pretty much ineffective as a play maker from that far back. Henning is a barely used sub these days in Lyon & you've must of seen all the weak goals Schulte has been letting as off late?

14. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    If Steffi plays this team, I predict an early exit for Germany this time :thumbsup: Auf wiedersehen, Steffi?

15. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The games vs Austria, Netherlands, Norway, really exposed the good and the bad of Steffi Jones Germany; seeing Henning and Jones constantly rotating FB's at fault for conceding unnecessary/simple goals, while her best or most in form attackers were constantly resigned to the bench or played out of position too.

Of course she can fix this with some very simple changes, but those three games honestly saw WAY too much of Schult - Blässe - Henning - Peter - Kerschowski starting, it left me thinking Jones is blinded by the teams on which they play, rather the competent high level of play they can actually execute.

16. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Mittag - Huth - Peterman have produced pretty ordinary goal scoring league seasons, with Islacker - Kayikci - Magull - Kemme maintaining the best goal returns as attackers; but when your picking forwards in this particular team, I'm thinking factors like the speed and movement of a Huth going into wide areas, still vital towards the overall success of the team being able to score goals at the Euro's.

Goal scoring would appear to be a genuine problem if your just looking at a strikers goal return, but within a team featuring a potential goal scoring mid-field trio of Marozsan, Magull, Kemme, your probably OK with at least one striker like Huth creating space/chances for others, through her proclivity to go out wide and better effectively harness her direct dribbling and speed.

Oh, and I'd also argue Popp's positional transition to CM/DM in the final weeks of her club season, ignited a rather impressive run of form for Germany's former heir apparent to Prinz, producing a series of quality performances in a deeper role her WNT currently weak with the absence of Laudehr, the lacking fitness of Goeßling, and the persistent injury to Leupolz.

Seriously, having seen Popp excel in various big games as a FB, winger, or forward during her football career, I wouldn't be surprised if she soon reinvent herself as an excellent CM/DM for Germany.

17. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #342 hotjam2, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    over at the BUND/Aliance threat, you've made an almost perfect all-star list & noticeably. Popp, was missing from it. So there are so much better players to choose from, or at least for a starter/ Of course an NT is more molded or geared by it's coach, rather than just all stars. So Popp may be a better choice for Jones system, which hasn't changed much from Neid or as you've wrote it in the passed. the "dbf play book". I like to think that fortune favors the bold. Jones seems even less adventures than Neid, but their always a chance that she sees the light, and surprises us with a different approach. Right German's lacking a solid defense(at least with ones stating picks) and doesn't have a world class forward/ But it might just have the 3 best AM's in woso with Maro, Magull & Dallmann. Hopefully all three get to start together on the attack(in lieu of the Mittag/Popp combo that Jones currently seems to favor)
    I wouldn't predict to early of a demise, especially with the newly introduced, fourth sub, which will help the more in depth squads. With more woso players growing every year, it helps the larger size countries a well. If there was a small country I might prefer, it's of course Denmark with my p.o y, Pernile Harder! She should have some back up too, with another fwd, Nadim. leading scorer of the Portland Thorns, along with decent creds like Munk & Veje. But don't know if that be enough to have thoroughly balanced squad(which is what it will take to win the championship) & I do believe she's used more of an AM on her NT, instead of the better suited center/fwd spot like at Wolfsburg

18. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I read that Steffi was gonna test her team against junior teams. Hopefully they'll expose the back line that Steffi prefers. I enjoy watching Popp play - not afraid for anything/anyone :p

19. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I left Popp out of my own team of the season list, due to her overall time with the wnt and Wolfsburg mainly being spent deployed in forward roles, only going through the process of a CM/DM positional change vs Netherlands, and then later on for her club during a succession of games within the last few important games of the domestic season.

Up until these end of season examples, I feel a majority of Popp's season pretty underwhelming, and completely overshadowed by the form of a Hendrich, Doorsoun, or even Demann, all playing in CM/DM positions for club and country too.

Plus it needs to said that teams needing to posses a world class striker is often completely over-rated; this knowing two of the wnt's I've given most attention to have produced championship level wining performances better focused around other key factors like being compact and defensively strong, to provide the right kind of platform for their elite AM's to shine as the tournaments best/stand out players.

In men's and women's football I've witnessed too many teams with world class forward amount to very little, with Germany's last women's Euro success being another great example of the role talented mid-fielders take in successful teams, as Goeßling and Keßler's last minute inclusions would end up saving a team that was otherwise all set up to fail with Krahn - Bartusiak stopping opponents, while Sasic somehow scored goals lol.

20. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agree, you don't need a top forward upfront, especially since Islacker can't seem to have the same chemistry with the NT as she shown with her club. Huth has had a very disappointing 2nd half season, I don't she even scored in the last several games. Magull looked awesome so far this year, but don't think it's from the far lest(where Jones pits her) she really needs to come straight down the middle. This would be my starting lineup(though you could use some as super subs)

GK......................................Schulte

Maier.................Demann................Elsig..............Simon

...............Goesling,....................................Dallman

Bremer..............................Magull.........................Hendrich

........................................Marozsan

though Kemme should start somewhere too, either for Goessling(in case she's not back 100%) or for Maier/Simon at FB. But if you go back to the 2 DM's, one lone striker, than you need some speed on the wings, that's why Bremer & Hendrich are irreplaceable, as now the competition has gotten a lot more tougher than we saw in 2013

21. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    When you say "Junior Teams", do you mean boys or girls...? Honestly, this sounds like the kind of terrible decision you'd typically expect to hear from weaker wnt's lacking financial resources to arrange testing international friendlies.

22. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Boys. They were gonna test out different types of play. Germany's going to play Brazil tho before the Euro's.

23. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    No Finland, no fun. :mad: That said, I guess that I'm going for Iceland and France. For the most part, I'm a neutral and just want this thing to start already. Geez.

24. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #349 hotjam2, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
    this article has both Spain & Sweden's rosters for Euros. Shockingly, Vero Boquete didn't make Spain's NT. She's too good not to have been chosen, Anybody's knows what transpired? I do remember players were mad and boycotted the previous coach, but I guess the squabbles continued. Another odd non show, while they got 9 FC Barcelona & 7 Athletico Madrid players, plus one from the U of Alabama(yay, go Crimson Tide!), absolutely no one from Bilbao, the club that won the Spanish championship last year, hmm........politics involved?

http://equalizersoccer.com/2017/06/20/tuesday-roundup-spain-sweden-announce-euro-rosters/

gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  25. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The Spanish coach has not selected Vero Boquete, Sonia Bermudez and Natalia Pablos Sanchon. I saw a video on twitter with Vilda explaining things but as it was in Spanish, I did not really understand anything.
    What I read on social media, is he has done a clear-out and preparing the future. Also he has Losada to play at number 10.

jnielsen, gricio61 and blissett repped this.