News: EURO 2017 - Vivianne M. Adoration and Qualifiers Thread

Discussion in 'Women's International' started by White/Blue_since1860, Dec 5, 2014.

?

Who will win?

1. Germany

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. Germany B

4 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. not Germany

19 vote(s)
    73.1%
  1. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    "Absolute Snoozefest" is the perfect way to describe most of the last WWC, but I honestly can't remember any kind of significant pre tournament buzz/anticipation from the neutral audience when it came to assessing the hosts group stage.

Seriously, even when you tell me who was actually in the last WWC hosts group stage, it still feels like I've had the Men In Black take turns to fire multiple Neuralyzer blasts into my face just to protect from any potential memory's of what took place on Canada's luscious synthetic carpets of sand and rubber crumbs...:rolleyes:

2. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The crowds turning up to watch Germany's wnt play had been going down in the years people seem to think Neid's teams most successful, and for all the random praise she's receiving form rivals now that she's gone, it sure feels like a series of backhanded compliments when you know this same praise also comes from the very people who'd ridicule the clear and gaping flaws in her supposedly superior tactics in every one of her sides since 2011'.

Honestly, while Neid left her job respected for her career accomplishments, in just 4 games with the new coaching staff, it's only now that analysts are prepared to speak about the limitations she imposed on the German wnt, expressing a positive sentiment for Jones re-introducing a dynamic approach back to their senior women's team once again.
    I honestly think every group will witness some very good games, but as usual the team who does best will probably peak as the tournament progress past the group stage, meaning few should expect Germany to make anything in their group look simple, or easy.

Plus if your trying to sell the idea of France being light weight contenders next to Austria, Iceland, Switzerland....:thumbsdown:, I'm not buying.

3. toad455

toad455 Member+

Nov 28, 2005
    though Groups A & B appear to be the toughest, it does seem pretty straight forward who'll advance to the knockout round in each group.

GROUP A
    1. Norway
    2. Netherlands
    3. Denmark
    4. Belgium

GROUP B
    1. Germany
    2. Sweden
    3. Italy
    4. Russia

GROUP C
    1. France
    2. Switzerland
    3. Iceland
    4. Austria

GROUP D
    1. Spain
    2. England
    3. Scotland
    4. Portugal

QUARTERFINALS
    Sweden def. Norway
    Spain def. Switzerland
    Germany def. Netherlands
    England def. France

SEMIFINALS
    Sweden def. Spain
    Germany def. England

FINAL
    Germany def. Sweden

4. AndyHE

AndyHE Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    It also had three teams advancing, so group A here can still be considered tougher.

5. applepie71

applepie71 Red Card

Oct 17, 2016
    So if both France and Germany finish first they could probably meet in the semis? huh

6. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Yes you may be right on very good games in every group but this doesn't change the fact that with Italy and Russia in their group, Germany have it pretty easy to pass the group stage.
    Lately France deeply lacked creativity, personality, dynamism, cohesion or willing to win etc... in brief everything you need to unlock a solid defensive block and win games where the opponent is waiting you ...In our group teams (Austria and Iceland specially) will wait us, very well organized and tactically disciplined, if we play as we're doing since the Olympics we will find it very hard to defeat......
    Everybody are talking about this.....I don't understand what all this fuss about.

7. Batfink

Batfink Member+

May 23, 2010
    Attilan
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Recognizing the difficulties various teams always have in replicating pre tournament form during finals play, and knowing Germany has a new coach still trying to embed a new style of play, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the poor football math provided to us by any teams past results/friendlies...:cautious:

Yes, having taken them apart twice in the qualification rounds, I imagine Germany should have little problem dealing with Russia, but knowing every team in Group B will pack their defense and look to counter attack Germany's still ridiculously underwhelming CB pairing, I wouldn't feel 100% comfortable in saying anything's easy for any team at the Euro's until coaches make their final squad announcements.
    Exactly... We all know a lot more wnt's have significantly improved at being able to defend deep and transition quickly into dangerous attacking scenarios; which has shaped my thinking that at least teams like France have an advantage of knowing it's defense/mid-field can deal with the threat of counters, while people who've seen Germany during the short post Neid era may be impressed with the attack, yet clearly remain highly skeptical about ongoing concerns in CB and DM positions.

Seriously, beyond a dependably strong will to win, do you think Germany have had the best creativity, personality, dynamism, cohesion, in the past 5 years under the stewardship of Silvia Neid...:thumbsdown:. And even missing the best creativity, personality, dynamism, cohesion, until I see middle ranking nations beat up on France, I'm not going along with the belief of them being inferior to the likes of Austria and Iceland lol.

8. applepie71

applepie71 Red Card

Oct 17, 2016
  9. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    I'm not feeling that collar but I've never liked collars on jerseys.

10. applepie71

applepie71 Red Card

Oct 17, 2016
    mmmh yeah, and in all white now it looks like a tennis kit. still acceptable though

[​IMG]

11. FawcettFan14

FawcettFan14 Member+

Mar 19, 2004
    Colorado
    Collars are a bit late 90s/early 00's for my tastes, but I like the cleaner look. Was getting tired of the faded-to-white color socks. Germany should be wearing black shorts yes? Maybe this all white kit is just for the promo.

12. AndyHE

AndyHE Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Norway
    Club:
    SK Brann Bergen
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Naw, they're wearing them in the ongoing friendly.

13. applepie71

applepie71 Red Card

Oct 17, 2016
    Time to reactivate this thread, I think.

March 2017 - France are clear favorites imho.

14. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
  15. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Obviously Germany and France are gonna be the two big favourites this tournament as well. I'm gonna cheer for the home nation as well, I hope that they'll impress the home crowd.

16. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    hopefully they'll add on Melissa Lawley, despite not previously picked; she seems to be Man City's brightest spot in the last two games they've stream lined. But then again, Sampson don't seem interested in wingers

CoachJon repped this.
  17. applepie71

applepie71 Red Card

Oct 17, 2016
    gricio61, Romario'sgurl and Thomsen repped this.
  18. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid

WOW England could actually have a better team based on players that did NOT make the final selection. Missing are;

Aluko,Carter, Chapman, Daly, Davison, Dowie, Galton, Lawley, Mead, Rafferty, Sanderson & Spencer

looks like Sampson picked players like Greenwood & Kirby who are just coming off the injury list. He's also top heavy with Man City squad, but missed currently their best domestic player of them all Melissa Lawley! Got the feeling Sampson's gotten a bit too self indulgent, but then again he has a victory over the most self indulgent coach of them all, Jill Ellis!

19. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    I don't understand why Sampson selects the championship squad months in advance. Why hurry? Much can happen between now and July.

Thomsen and blissett repped this.
  20. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I will find the link of all the interviews but mainly because he can focus on the group of players who fit what he wants.
    He did say form was not a factor in his selection.

There is a 7 players stand-by list that is hidden and you can bet players from that list will be injured and miss out.

21. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    gricio61 and blissett repped this.
  22. shlj

shlj Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    London
    Club:
    FC Nantes
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Here are a few press articles

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/03/england-women-squad-euro-2017-aluko-mark-sampson

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39477888

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39488793

Aluko is not happy :ROFLMAO:, there are some truths in what she says but also some funny stuff.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39486235

And the word from the Pravda :D

http://www.thefa.com/news/2017/apr/03/england-womens-squad-uefa-euro-2017-finals-030417

blissett and hotjam2 repped this.
  23. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #298 hotjam2, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Sampson is definitely going for experience, but picking 3 players that aren't even back from injury has been the downfall of many coaches. He's also picked 8 Man City players, even though the 4 on defenders looked frightening weak vs the Danes in the recent CL game/or lucky that a pk & red card didn't get called on Houghton/ It's like Bronze has to be continuously the last defender instead of the two CB's. And then the offence; Sampson picks; Christiansen, Duggan & Parris been on the bench as of late for MC, while the WSL's 2015 & 2016 leading scorers didn't make the NT. hmm............very odd!

24. hotjam2

hotjam2 Member+

Nov 23, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    here are a couple of vids from what could be the future star of the Euros; Sakina Karchaoui of France. She's can be an attacking FB, but she's also very good on defense. stopped dead cold, the Ellis speedsters, Pugh & Lavelle, in the last FR/US game

and she's so freaking fast, lol

shlj; do you know what ethnicity is/are Sakina & the Cascerino sisters?(and I thought America was the melting pot of the world, but we got nothing on France, woso wise)

25. Thomsen

Thomsen Member+

Aug 6, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    France and Germany in an eventually quarter final would be very interesting...