Euro 2016

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by comme, Jun 6, 2016.

1. leadleader

leadleader Member+

Aug 19, 2009
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    #501 leadleader, Jul 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
    "Tucking his legs back and so captivating as he hangs in the air..." Because tucking his legs back when jumping is that extra-detail that makes it sooo much more captivating than it would be if Cristiano didn't do that. "Gravity-defying jumping ability; tall and noble, almost Aryan in appearance except with black air, and with a unique NBA vertical leap. Much better than old Gerd Muller's antiquated jumping technique with no tucking-of-the-legs and no glorious tall-looking player doing the gravity-defying leap of faith." I can picture you salivating over a youtube video where Cristiano's "so captivating" jump gets played over and over -- tucking his legs back and everything, with his unique NBA vertical leap further satisfying your thirst for details, and even pumping his chest in mid-air: the whole shtick. Soo captivating to see a man who can jump in such a painstakingly detailed and unique manner.

But then, joking about Zidane's bald-spot being "sexy" is creepy and homosexual. The term "sexy" as used in any way in relation to a football player is a definite no-no, and cannot in any conceivable way be used as a joke since that would merely conclusively prove how asinine and (worse) how homosexual your entire premise was.

Unbelievable.

2. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I'm afraid the mods will be in an infinite game of whack-a-mole to try to stop this topic from constantly resurfacing somewhere.

giles varley and ko242 repped this.
  3. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Completely agree, not the best tournament, terrible final and Portugal were not a great team, saying that France were not good in the final either, I am however happy for the supporters as it gives them a major trophy.

United_xxx repped this.
  4. lessthanjake

lessthanjake Member+

May 9, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    #504 lessthanjake, Jul 11, 2016
    Messi moving to United or Chelsea would not be similar to Ronaldo being at SAF's United and Real Madrid, IMO. United has failed to even make the CL for years now, while Chelsea finished 10th last season. Manchester United were the dominant force in England when Ronaldo showed up; they had won 6 of the last 8 EPL titles. Meanwhile, Real Madrid had won 2 of the last 3 titles, was still the 2nd best team in Spain in the other year, and went on a spending spree that summer well beyond just getting Ronaldo. Man United and Real Madrid were in a much better position to succeed than Chelsea or United would be. Messi going to Bayern is probably a more similar analogy. And, personally, if Messi went to Bayern and succeeded, it wouldn't really do much for me.

Anyways, what you want Messi to do is simply something that wouldn't happen and isn't something Ronaldo did. Messi would never be on a team that didn't achieve high amounts of possession and get him plenty of touches. No team would get Messi and then play him outside of the system he most thrives in. If he moved teams, some variant of a possession-based system would be implemented at whatever team he went to. This is no different than the fact that Ronaldo has always played in some variant of the style that most suits him. You simply don't get players like Messi and Ronaldo and then play them outside of their preferred style. What you are saying is the equivalent of me saying that I want to see Ronaldo thrive in a super low-tempo possession team that does not counterattack. It would never happen and is not relevant.

The idea that Ronaldo "turned around" Madrid is pretty silly by the way. They won La Liga in 2006-2007 and 2007-2008. Barcelona had a fantastic 2008-2009 season, and knocked Real Madrid to 2nd. Madrid had not been super successful in the CL for some years. Real Madrid responded by buying Ronaldo, Kaka, Xabi Alonso, Karim Benzema, and others. They did not win anything, or go further in the CL, though they did do better in La Liga. They then proceeded to buy Angel Di Maria, Mesut Ozil, Sami Khedira, Ricardo Carvalho, and others. They did a little bit better, getting the CdR and at least making the CL semifinals. Ultimately, this group started Real Madrid doing consistently better in the CL than before, and after adding Coentrao too, they even won La Liga once. After adding Modric, Isco, Bale, and others (while admittedly losing a few of the aforementioned players), they won the CL. Despite only getting one La Liga title in this time period (a very poor return as RM historically goes), I think their CL success and great results in La Liga despite not winning do demonstrate a team that is significantly better than before Ronaldo got there. Ronaldo is, of course, a very important element to this. But it seems pretty ridiculous to act like Ronaldo single-handedly is responsible for this. You completely ignore that they brought in a ton of other absolutely world-class players in these years. They basically remade the entire attack in just two years, as well as adding some key defensive players. Ronaldo's tenure at Real Madrid coincides with Real Madrid morphing into a modern super team (just as Messi's does for Barcelona. Those that blindly compare Barcelona's trophies prior to Messi with their trophies since he got there are also misguided). He is far from the sole reason for this.

giles varley and ko242 repped this.
  5. EdgarAllanPoet

EdgarAllanPoet Member+

May 1, 2011
    Can you not understand that quantity does not reflect quality? A 5'7" man hitting the ball with hi head is never going to compare to a player who dominates the air.

Now if my reasoning was Ronaldo muscles are sexy like an argument you'd put forth there'd be no merit to it.

6. Ozora

Ozora Member+

Barcelona
    Spain
    Aug 5, 2014
    Club:
    Chelsea LFC
  7. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    That quote was made a fair while back and was tongue and cheek, the majority of reporters and pundits who work for Sky which broadcast the Premier League in England refer to Messi as better and many call him the best ever.

ko242 and Afghan-Juventus repped this.
  8. 621380

621380 Member

Feb 21, 2004
    germany
    #508 621380, Jul 11, 2016

quality means olso showing Ronaldo Header Goals from today standart qualtiy and Close tv camera distance and videofootage of many diffrent angles...this is isnt the case in the past...Gerd müller has scored excellent and diffrent Header Goals in his Career but there excist no videofootage of many of his Header Goals too...müller for his size is a canditat to have shortest legs of a Football Player ever for Players where are 174-176 cm tall....

here a example of Gerd müllers diving Header Goal in a european Cup game against banik ostrau...i suggest his highflying diving Header Goal is a great Goal?? and the tv Quality and the only excisting single crap videoangle disadvantage him in a debatte of qualtity headers... or do you disagree???...only a example..have you ever seen Gerd müllers highflying diving Header in worldcup 1974 against australia where he hit the bar??no replay , only 1 tv camera angle used showing his action from Long distance ..for this game it was used 2 cameras , 1 camera was behind the Goal ...its a shame there excist no Videofootage from the behind the Goal camera where confirm more how great his Action was..on the other side the same camera has shown 2 weak finishes of uli hoeness, one was a freekick where he has missed the target 1.5-2 Yards...this alone confirm the disadvantages Gerd müller has in such a debatte..

and this Header Goal isnt worster than the best Ronaldo Header Goals ..good distance and challenged in the air putting the ball in the cross..again only 1 videocamera angle excist..

9. Madara Uchiha

Madara Uchiha Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    well maybe because he is their best player that's why they create or their game style suits the best player. this happens in basketball too. this is very obvious coaching or managers tactics. watching Barcelona play i don't see the same style before Lucho. it's just funny how people here watered down other players just to favor their agenda when it's very obvious what is real. fanboys will be fanboys from both sides actually for every sports fans. someone here is very entertaining i think he want's Messi out from the best League so that his fave player win more he doesn't care about Messi's legacy, the tax case almost did it....:D

lessthanjake and leadleader repped this.
  10. giles varley

giles varley Member+

Oct 8, 2013
    nottingham uk
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Virtually every thread eventually gets ruined by the topic of messi vs cronaldo.. - it just goes round in endless circles ..
    I dont understand it.. if somebody thinks cronaldo has had a great euros or messi was great at world cup 2014 then there is no changing that persons mind no matter how ridiculous the opinion is... Its their problem..

ko242 and greatstriker11 repped this.
  11. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Right, so that's leadleader, EdgarAllenPoet, Carlito and Ozora all banned. BadaBing goes to a yellow card.

Who's next to get booted out?

You've all had ample warnings about your behaviour in here and yet you are unwilling to discuss things in a normal, civilised manner. Anyone that doesn't play nice can leave.

12. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Why is "mister silly" lessthanjake not warned or banned? Because he has joined the right camps and forces I suppose.

lessthanjake, robnycus and artielange84 repped this.
  13. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    Please feel free to report his posts that merit infractions so I can investigate.

14. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Anyone think Giroud was back to his old very average self last night?

I am also not a fan of Gignac, good turn but he is also very static. What France would have done for having Benzema there.

15. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Yes, but in his defence he looked very isolated for a lot of the match. Griezmann was pulled deeper to try to even out midfield.

16. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yep fair point, Portugal were solid in defence, I think Pepe had a very good tournament especially but the whole of the back line were solid.

I felt that Payet was getting bit more joy and possibley would have kept him on, still brought on Koman and brought off Giroud, I am not a fan of Gignac either. Either way it was a painful spectator as a neutral.

17. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Hahahahahahahahahhaahah

Free salt and lemon juice for all you haters

Hahahahahahahahahhaahah FORÇA Portugal

NewLaw83 repped this.
  18. Bada Bing

Bada Bing Member+

Jul 13, 2012
    Finland
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Payet named Euro best player.

19. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    It was also the midfielders in front of them as well. They were set up well to maximise their talents.

I think they would have been better going to 4-3-3 as they were outnumbered in midfield. It would also have freed Pogba up a bit a well.

AD78 repped this.
  20. gilmour86

gilmour86 Member

Oct 23, 2011
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    #520 gilmour86, Jul 11, 2016
    According to Uefa:

1- Payet
    2- Griezmann
    3- Bale
    4- Kroos
    5- De Bruyne

They explained that Cristiano injury prevented him to have a better rating, but still he is in the 7th place as Portugal best player of the tournament (which I personally disagree, I would put Pepe and Nani ahead, followed by CR, Patricio and Sanches).

giles varley repped this.
  21. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I don't have the energy to search extensively, but a quick search delivered this (just the past week).

"I already won this argument, and yet you just wait like 10 days and just try to relaunch it by posting the EXACT same thing word-for-word. You are obviously a troll."
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...o-as-best-ever.2016490/page-732#post-34280191

"Hahahahaha, it becomes clearer and clearer that you are just a troll"
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...o-as-best-ever.2016490/page-735#post-34291076

"What in the world are you babbling about? Are you really this upset by how much I have utterly owned you in the past???? I literally did not mention Iniesta in the above post. And I said that I think Messi has been the best player in 2016. Why in the world are you lashing out like a caged animal??? Either it's because you're still upset about how much I have owned you in the past, or you are upset that I stated the reality that Messi won't get the 2016 Ballon D'or (which surely you know, even if you think he deserves to get it?). Regardless of which it is, this is a silly post from you" (post from yesterday)
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...6-season-so-far.2026960/page-13#post-34305448

"You literally have no idea what you are talking about. If UEFA says 3 assists, it is because UEFA is using wide rules. Did you ever even consider that before posting this silly post?" (post from yesterday)
    http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads...o-as-best-ever.2016490/page-749#post-34306772

It has a nasty smell.

22. Madara Uchiha

Madara Uchiha Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Ronaldo was the ultimate sacrifice the football gods needed for Portugal to win
    we just prevented World War 3, imagining him scoring that winning goal a sure internet riot from fanboys vs fanboys..:D

carlito86 and zahzah repped this.
  23. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think the top 4 is pretty good, not sure re De Bruyne in 5. Ronaldo certainly would not have made my top 5, I tend to agree Pepe was Portugal's PoT.

zahzah repped this.
  24. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel Member+

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I'd have Griezmann over Payet because of his KO form. Payet was not good against Germany and in the final neither (although he provided the pass for Griezmann his header). Payet should have played the full Switzerland match though.

25. AD78

AD78 Member+

Jul 17, 2013
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree also, I think the the top 4 is ok but not in right order, Griezmann really stepped up to the play in the KO stages, although I did think taking Payet off last night was a bad move as he was gradually getting into the game.