Pre-match: (EURO 2016 - Semi Final!) Germany vs France 7.7.2016 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Lahmfan, Jul 3, 2016.

?

If germany = X then X =

1. Champions

84.6%
  2. 4th title

76.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    #676 lefutur, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    What's atrocious about calling a clear handball a penalty?
    https://gfycat.com/HandsomeFrailIaerismetalmark

Also while France were on the backfoot in the first half they were controlling the game in the second half and Germany were nowhere close to scoring. Petr Cech said that they could have played the game until morning and France would still have won.
    [​IMG]

2. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ive been watching football for 20 years now and Ive said it before: in 8 out 10 times in the big leagues this doesnt get called. For whatever the reasons might be. Short distance, no intention, the hightest ref official of DFB also said it was a dubious, unusual call to him. Then UEFA sents a ref from a country that has just been sent home by one side, the same ref that has been haunted for 2 years by his no pen call in the WC final. Somewhere in the middle of the 2nd half Germany had committed 6 fouls but had recieved 4 yellows. Signore Rizzoli must sleep better now

3. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    World Cups get you stars on your jersey, Euros don't. Let someone else be happy, we are leaving Russia with the trophy!!!

Minttunator and dips82 repped this.
  4. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Looking forward to that tournament with Varane and a more experienced Umtiti and hopefully new fullbacks. :thumbsup:

5. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    The problem with this analysis is that it ignores the impact of the penalty on the second half.

If the game had gone into half at zero zero there is no evidence to suggest France would have gotten off the back foot

Dhajj repped this.
  6. lefutur

lefutur Member+

Sep 2, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY US
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Absolutely agree. But again, its a clear handball so its not like scoring a goal shouldnt affect the outcome of the second half. And while Germany had tons of possession in the first half they didnt do enough with it. Lloris actually made more saves in the second half when Germany pushed everyone up and threw the kitchen sink at France in the dying minutes.

7. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    A "clear" handball? No, it was a handball that could have gotten called either way.

NUFCBayern, Dhajj, Dage and 2 others repped this.
  8. Minttunator

Minttunator Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Estonia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I love the positive thoughts in this thread over the past few pages! I might still be a bit drunk but I'm also a lot less depressed than I was in 2012. We played well overall but had some injuries and general bad luck - on the other hand, we still reached the semis (for the 6th major tournament in a row!) and with that kind of consistency and the influx of young talent we'll surely be contenders again in 2018. :thumbsup:

Nationalelf, you and I know
    How the tournaments come and they go and the scars they're leaving
    You'll be playing once again and the pain will end
    You will have no time for grieving
    Nationalelf, you and I cry
    But Jogi is still in the dugout and picking his nose
    Let me see you play once more like you did before
    Play a new game, Nationalelf :whistling:

9. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You've clearly watched a different match then. I counted at least 5 decent scoring opportunities for Germany.

Minttunator and MatthausSammer repped this.
  10. shap_half

shap_half Member+

Oct 17, 2010
    New York
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    #685 shap_half, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
    In 2010, even though I had no real expectations of the team, I was depressed by the loss to Spain. I don't exaggerate when I say that I cried on and off for two hours.

But I feel at peace with this loss. Sometimes, the game doesn't go your way, but based on what I've seen this past month, Germany is the best team in Europe. The way its possession and pressing game has developed was amazing to see. Not a single team has had real chances against it from open play. If Germany can keep this up and integrate another dimension through more clinical goalscoring, I'm confident about what the future holds. I'm really not worried about it.

BorisG, dips82, Minttunator and 3 others repped this.
  11. Jordan Khamra

Jordan Khamra Member

May 21, 2014
    Some refs would call it, some would not. Home teams will get some calls. You'd think it would be more likely to have such PKs called in earlier round versus in later stages when such calls are essentially game changers/deciders.

At any rate, it was pure stupidity on Bastian's part. Also on the coaching staff, players should have been warned about this after something similar was called in the Italy game. The PK totally changed the game. Prior to the PK Germany was in total control and was looking more likely to win unless they have a lapse in concentration or error in judgement, which is what occurred.

This is a huge lost opportunity. The way Germany played the last 30 minutes of the first half, it became clear this was Germany's Cup to lose. This brought back EC92 emotions...

nekkibasara, Minttunator and Dage repped this.
  12. Jordan Khamra

Jordan Khamra Member

May 21, 2014
    For me this feels worse than 2006, 2008 & 2010. Germany was overachieving is those tournaments. Even in 2012, the manner of the Italy loss sucked but Germany was outplayed in those games. This hurts coz Germany should have won based on the performance same with the Ec92 final.

13. BVBFNM

BVBFNM Member+

Apr 3, 2016
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Maybe it's because I finally experienced victory at the last World Cup, but I must say I am at peace with the result.
    Had Germany won the Euro I would've been a little indifferent due to Reus's absence. Still, this crop must win the next World Cup to cement their status as a Golden Generation otherwise 2014 will be remembered as culmination of years of hard work rather than the start of a golden era many were hoping for.

Minttunator repped this.
  14. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Even Schweini's blunder aside, this side doesn't have the mental fortitude of champions. Case in point, compare this campaign to the Euro 96 campaign. This team is definitely more talented. Against the home team in 96, in the semis Germany carried on as if nothing had happened after conceeding that early goal. Only to progress to the finals where again Germany won from a goal down. Yesterday, the team lost all composure after the French 1st goal. Kimmich's yellow was out of sheer frustration.

It was all panic after a point.

Gregoriak repped this.
  15. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't understand the "mental fortitude" argument. This team is almost the same team that won in 2014 in terms of who was starting. If anyone "choked" or "lacked mental fortitude" this tournament, it was Mueller. Anyone want to argue that Mueller isn't a winner? That Mueller chokes on a regular basis? The reality is that yesterday just wasn't our day; too many factors, from Mueller's poor form, to the injuries/suspension, to a 2nd f*cking handball bounce, conspired against us facing a tough opponent.

shap_half, biohazard, dips82 and 5 others repped this.
  16. poorvi

poorvi Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Bombay
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How is it the same team?
    Hector in place of a world class Lahm
    Klose in place of a terribly out of form Mueller

Not to mention poor fitness levels. Forced substitutions against Italy and France. Beckenbauer once played a world cup semi final with his hand in a cast. So did Philip Lahm aginst Costa Rica in the 2006WC. While the injuries to Gomez, Khedira and Boateng maybe different, its still a very uncomforting reality that apart from Germany, no other side has had to make as many forced substitutions during a game. Italy didn't. France didn't. Portugal didn't.

From the begning of the second half to the French second goal, I wasn't too impressed with the fight back.

This is the German national side. The bar is set too high.

Gregoriak repped this.
  17. Jordan Khamra

Jordan Khamra Member

May 21, 2014
    I don't agree. Without Bastian's blunder, the team was in total control, most likely winning the game and final! Show me another team in this Euro with a better "mental fortitude"! The way the half ended, it is expected they were going to be a bit rattled. However, they really battled in the 2nd half and it just did not go their way. They did not look defeated, even after they conceded the 2nd. They kept pushing and pushing. The longer you go without scoring, the more players you have commit going forward which means you are open to counter attacks.

We only lacked luck and 2nd striker, nothing can be said about lack of mental fortitude based on the France game and the performance against Italy when we conceded a PK out of no where..

Minttunator, Dage and MatthausSammer repped this.
  18. Jordan Khamra

Jordan Khamra Member

May 21, 2014
    6 Semis in a row answers that!

19. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lahm alone shouldn't make or break this team. I remind you that up until 2014, Lahm and his generation were criticized relentlessly as chokers.

Injuries happen. Just because other teams had fewer means relatively little. There's always going to be teams that are seriously damaged by injuries, and this time it was us.

The "fight-back" was solid; we weren't rattled and we continued to play our game, creating chances like the Mustafi header or Hector getting played in behind. Just because it didn't work doesn't mean it wasn't there.

No one is suggesting we don't set the bar high, but the reality is we just aren't going to win every tournament. Other teams are talented and fight hard. Spain's dominance 08-12 was very rare and doesn't happen very often.

Minttunator and Dage repped this.
  20. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Im curious if Jogi will decide to step down after this. DFB is not going to fire him.

21. marcellsas

marcellsas Member

Oct 13, 2014
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Is there any better coach to handle this Germany NT than Loew now?

22. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No

dips82 repped this.
  23. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why would Loew step down?

24. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'd give him another 2 years of ball sniffing.

25. swit0539

swit0539 Member+

Aug 13, 2008
    Sydney
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    How many countries do the whole 'stars' thing on their jerseys? Is it just Germany and Brazil?