Euro 2016 [R]

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by omajac, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    Portuguese didn't play harder... they were just as crappy and with less offensive power after losing CR7.

France kept missing their chances and allowed Portugal to have that 1 off goal to win the tournament. Shots just didn't go in, too many opportunities missed and that 1 goal made the difference. The best team did not come away with a win, but they are still the winners.

I loved that Portugal won. But that game gets played 10 times... France wins 6 ties 2 and loses 2.... Portugal just got lucky.

celito and old_carioca_in_nyc repped this.
  2. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I didn't say it here, but before the tournament, I called Portugal the dark horses on their board. Sure, they got a favorable draw but they also played with a less than ideal tactical system IMO. The defense was organized and that was it. Midfield play struggled and attacks in the final third were painful to watch. Too much isolation in the final third and reliance on any individual play.

3. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I thought Portugal were a dark horse as well but they never seemed to up the ante duing the tournament. They truly Greeced it. Won't lie though, it did make me feel good to see France lose at home like we did( excluding the scoreline):D.

The 2 teams I thought would be dominant, Germany and France, were pretty average though which was surprising to me.

4. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't think Germany was average; we just had an off-day against France; the injuries and absences really piled up at that point.

XaviandXabi repped this.
  5. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    NorthEast USA
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Maybe its after the WC14 but I was expecting Germany to crush through the competition.

6. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    well to be fair, Germany did dominate France.. they just couldn't find the back of the net

MatthausSammer repped this.
  7. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not sure we crushed through the competition at the World Cup either. But thanks. I think we'll be better once Reus and Ilklay finally stay healthy for a major tournament.

8. Guigs

Guigs Member+

Dec 9, 2011
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    well to be fair, France did dominate Portugal.. they just couldn't find the back of the net

Your quote works for the final too!!

fafaco repped this.
  9. Pandore

Pandore Member+

Jun 24, 2014
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Can I pay you to predict losses for PSG in the Champions League?

10. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    :alien::coffee:

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes. It's definitely weird that a team that finished 3rd in their group won the Euros. Not only that, but the group had Iceland, Hungary, Austria. However that's not the weirdest episode in the Euros. I think Denmark winning in 92 takes the cake. They did not qualify for the tournament and only took part in it because Yugoslavia had to pull out due to civil war. They also finished 2nd in their group.

12. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Funny how football is isn't it ? Everybody saying Portugal needed Ronaldo to give a legendary performance to beat France, and they beat them without him with Eder, the player who subbed in for him, providing the winner. Honestly anybody who said that was oblivious to how Portugal was playing. There was no way Ronaldo was going to take over a game in the position he had been playing.

Expected France to win because they have more quality but in one game anything can happen. They wasted some good scoring chances and paid for it. Great accomplishment for Portugal even though they really benefited from a wacky draw. It wasn't pretty, but for a country like Portugal that had never won anything, they don't really have to give a damn.

13. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    Eder came in the second half in place for R. Sanches, the 18 yr old kid.
    CR7 got out in the first half, it was another guy who came in for him: Quaresma.

14. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Ronaldo impressed me though with his leadership. I didn't think he had that ability.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  15. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's weird and ironic that 2 World Cup winning captains in '94 and '98 in Dunga and Deschamps as coaches this year suffered disappointment in the Stadiums that they lifted the World Cup!!

16. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep. I got that confused. He probably wouldn't have played had Ronaldo not gotten injured though. Quaresma would have been the sub. Funny how things work out sometimes.

17. old_carioca_in_nyc

Jan 26, 2007
    I really enjoyed seeing the French take one loss at home! LOL

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And all the criticism Portugal is getting for "negative" football is unfair. It's surely nothing new and when Italy does it they are called the masters of it. At least they weren't playing cynical from a fouling perspective. Thought they played fairly clean.

NewLaw83 and old_carioca_in_nyc repped this.
  19. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    He was even Coaching the Team!

NewLaw83 repped this.
  20. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Leadership? Come on he was just nervous, I do the same in front of my TV!

21. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Even if that isn't leadership, his calling out of Moutinho to take the penalty demonstrated leadership qualities IMO. And there was some praise over his halftime speech. Even if that doesn't impress as leadership, the guy led on the field. Constantly active, willing to do defensive work (not a strength of his most of the time), and scoring crucial goals throughout the tournament.

NewLaw83 and fafaco repped this.
  22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Half time speech is commendable, but the sideline thing was actually awkward. I mean, he was trying to take over the coach's job.

23. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sideline was kind of awkward no doubt. He was probably just excited.

24. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    The sideline coaching was the the most entertaining thing I saw in this Euros.

25. fafaco

fafaco Member+

Jun 16, 2015
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    I absolutely agree with you.. I'm not even a CR7 fan, but I think this year he has won everyone's respect.. He proved this year to be a better leader than Messi. while Ronaldo was very Vocal to his teammates, Messi was extremely Quiet and never said a word to his teammates.. Even after Argentina lost, the first thing Messi did was cry and sit on the bench, instead of consoling his fellow teammates.. I personally believe Mascherano should be Argentina's Captain instead of Messi..

NewLaw83 repped this.