Euro 2016 (R)

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by pmannion, May 27, 2016.

1. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    First warmup match for Ireland's Euro 2016 campaign is this evening vs. Holland.

How do we feel about Ireland's chances? Surely we can expect better than 2012?

2. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Can't be much worse now can it?

First game is crucial if we are to have any hope.

3. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    With O'Neill and Keane at the helm, the fact that we don't concede easily and do score, especially from set pieces, I believe there'll be a surprise or two.

Chalk it down to luck if you wish, but taking 4 points from Germany in the qualifiers is a reasonable indication of possibilities. However, it does require a nigh-on perfect game. I doubt we'll get 3 of those, but we might get enough to cause problems.

In my book, it's far from a nailed on certainty that we finish bottom of the group. Or that we qualify.

4. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    With the 4 best 3rd placers getting through I'd fancy our chances if we got 1 win. I really don't rate this Italy side that much so I'd bet we'd get a win there. I think we'll draw Sweden, lost to Belgium and Robbie Keane will score the winner in the 90th after coming on as a sub against Italy.

5. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No surprises in the squad though I do think Forde has been harshly treated!

6. greengrass81

greengrass81 Member

Manchester United
    Aug 2, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Saw the game last night against Belarus . I know it was a second string team but it was desperate . I know a lot of people think we have improved since the draw against Scotland but I don't see it . We struggled against Georgia , got a lucky against a cocky germany team looked piss poor against poland in warsaw. were dominated in bosnia in the first leg

Where is the improvement . Also people are getting carried away with Harry Arter he plays with Bournmouth but people reckon he is our best midfielder . Well if he is we can forget about qualifying for the World Cup.

7. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Belarus was awful, but that's often how these pre-tournament friendlies go. Belgium and Sweden haven't been in inspiring form either - it will make little difference once the tournament gets underway. Also, only one or two of those players stands any chance of starting v Sweden. For me, the great hope is Shane Long. We have made ourselves tough to beat over the last 12-18 months, but in Long we have an in-form striker with confidence, pace, and power. I've watched him for Southampton numerous times since Christmas, and he terrifies defenders, and I can see the Swedish, Belgian, and Italian centre backs all struggling to cope with him. Robbie Brady's set piece deliveries are a genuine weapon, and I think there are goals in this team. Conversely, I'm worried about our back four. Brady is not a natural defender (nor is Ward), O'Shea lost his place at Sunderland, Coleman has been uninspiring for Everton, and Duffy/Clark/Keogh are competent defenders, but always capable of a critical mistake or lapse in judgement.

I think we have a reasonable chance of advancing, but everything hinges on that first match v Sweden. A loss and we're finished, and I wouldn't fancy our chances even with a draw - it would put massive pressure on us to get a result v Belgium or Italy.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  8. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    As everyone has said I think the first match against Sweden is crucial. If we win that we have a great chance to get through, if we lose we're completely screwed, if we draw I think we're slightly less screwed.

I don't understand how Damien Delaney is not in the squad. Did really well for Crystal Palace this year.

Anyway, COYBIG!

9. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    COYBIG

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  10. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Wesley is our Xavi, Iniesta and Messi rolled into one. COYBIG!
    Just shut down Zlatan and we'll win easily.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  11. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Starting XI vs Sweden: Randolph; Coleman, O'Shea, Clark, Brady; McCarthy, Whelan, Hendrick, Walters, Hoolahan, Long.

I like it.

12. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We shoulda won, we didn't create much after Houlihan went off and of course their goal

[​IMG]

USvsIRELAND and Dyvel repped this.
  13. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Needed to win that one.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  14. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Missed a chance, dodged a bullet. On the balance, a draw was about right.

15. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Really? We hit the cross bar, they had 0 shots on goal, Randolph was only busy trying to stop O'Shea and Clark from scoring OG's. But we were useless after Houlihan went off, we need to clone him.

USvsIRELAND, malby and Dyvel repped this.
  16. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Agreed.

We deserved that win, but we just didn't finish our chances.

Honestly I think the 3 points there would have almost assured a spot in the next round with the way the qualification is set up.

Gonna be tough now. But I think we can get something off Belgium and hope that Italy relax as group winners in our last game and get something off them.

17. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Such conflicting emotions after that. We played well, but should have (and really needed to) win. It's going to be very tough now. We almost certainly need a win from one of the final two fixtures - though there's a chance we might sneak through with two draws (3 points).

Brady, Hoolahan, Hendrick, Whelan were all excellent. I think it was Whelan's best match for Ireland - he was essential in stopping Ibrahimovic. The big disappointment for me yesterday was James McCarthy. After failing to inspire in some of his earlier internationals under Trap, he answered his critics with some big performances. We need to see that again on Saturday.

USvsIRELAND repped this.
  18. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Had we taken our chances it would have been 3-0, 3-1. But we didn't. By the time of the final whistle, the ball had pretty much taken up permanent residency in the Irish final third. Yes, we defended well, but it was arses to the wall time. Sweden looked waaaaaaay more likely to nick a winner than we did. We may have bossed the first half, but we escaped the last 20.

Father Ted and USvsIRELAND repped this.
  19. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Great result for us today. Pretty much knocks the Swedes out of business, leaves us battling the Belgians for 2nd/3rd place and importantly leaves the Italians looking at the knock out rounds rather than needing anything from us. Good days. Hope it comes to pass.

20. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    Beaten by a better side. McCarthy and Clarke to blame for the goals. Should also have been a penalty for a high foot on Long.

But no getting around we were mullered by a better side. Shades of 2012.

Next up an under strength Italian side if rumors are to be believed. Maybe just maybe, but only if we play like we did against Germany, not Sweden or Belgium. But that's the thing about football, isn't it? It's the hope that kills you in the end.

Dyvel repped this.
  21. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Lads, we can still finish second.

[​IMG]

USvsIRELAND and Dyvel repped this.
  22. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Rumours are Quinn and Murphy to start. Mc Carthy better be dropped - waste of space.

23. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Finding it hard to be optimistic about this one. But there's always hope! I wouldn't be too bothered by a conservative team selection (i.e. Hoolahan and Long on the bench). We've proven we can't defend a lead, so I think the only way we can win today is to do so in the last 20 minutes. Would rather our most creative players come off the bench and face a tired Italian defence.

24. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  25. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001