Euro 2016 Qualifiers: Azerbaijan & Malta

Discussion in 'Italy: National Teams' started by sempreITALIA, Oct 3, 2014.

1. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    ye it really begrudged me to see klose get the all time record

2. benficafan3

benficafan3 Member+

Nov 16, 2005
    Just a quick google search shows the following:

Average goals per game in
    2014: 2.67 per match.
    2010: 2.27 per match
    2006: 2.3 per match
    2002: 2.52 per match
    Average: 2.44 per match

1998: 2.67 per match
    1994: 2.71 per match
    1990: 2.21 per match
    1986: 2.54 per match
    Average: 2.53 per match

Even better, Klose got the majority of his goals in 2006 and 2010 which, as you can see, have of the lowest averages in the last 20 years. So if Klose could score there, I'm sure he can score in other tournaments as well.

I'd say the discussion is far from over.

totti fan and jerrito repped this.
  3. JCNapoli17

JCNapoli17 Member+

Aug 23, 2012
    Winning
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Over a couple of decimal places? Lol

4. Deleted User x

Deleted User x Member+

Mar 21, 2006
    November 16th will be a reality check. Barely beating Azerbaijan and looking lifeless against a 10 man Malta is worrisome but it could all be down to having a new coach, new tactics etc. Might just need a few more games to gel.
    What do y'all think of a Zaza - Pelle strike pairing vs Croatia?

5. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    What does a quick google search and some meaningless statistics prove?
    Of course you are going to see less goals when the players are crap tactically and technically, but very athletic and able to close the pitch. And of course Barcelona and Spain showed that when you do have technical quality (and plenty of doping to keep your stamina up), you can simply hold the ball and throttle the game completely since there are almost no players left with enough quality to punish the negativity of tikitaka. The classic Ajax would have scored six goals a game against Barcelona by getting behind them, especially under today's rules that are so generous to attackers, which teams of the past few years hardly bothered to try because they lacked the quality of player to break a press with a couple of touches. Baggio or Maradona could have scored two or three solo goals per match against that kind of nonsense, but players of that caliber no longer exist and the few that are close to it are shackled by the pervasive tactical cowardice of the coaching today.

el napulitan and Calcio Pauly repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I didn't see the game and I know Italy only cared about the points in the standings and the win but 1-0 win over Malta? :eek:

[​IMG]
    Graziano Pellè, 29 anni, in gol all'esordio

johnny6 repped this.
  7. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    guys relax....iceland beat holland.....poland beat germany.....slovakia beat spain

at least italy is not losing. this time around euro qualifiers are a cake...top 2 make it and most of the 3rd places will make it also

italy should top the group easily

8. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed.

at least he will never beat Daei's record ;)

9. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  10. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Note to Moderators.

Need to change the name of this forum to "American Kaka's Blog".

el napulitan repped this.
  11. AmericanKaka

AmericanKaka Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    I've been pushing for that for ages. Glad to finally get some support.

el napulitan and totti fan repped this.
  12. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #212 Calcio Pauly, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
    Looks like he played for Italy after all, so would you say it's safe to take the headgear off now?

[​IMG]

Or did the italluminati let him play just to throw the truthers off?

el napulitan and FORZA NAPOLI <3 repped this.
  13. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #213 Calcio Pauly, Oct 14, 2014
    Don't blame Parcae for making the comparison from past or present. I think I inadvertently started that discussion with this post, but for an entirely different reason...

My point was that, for as far as I can remember, with better players or not Italy has never went out and smashed the minnows. Whether it's due to some sort of mentality issue or poor finishing, its basically the same thing in the last two games. How many posts and cross bars did we hit? Where are our statisticians??

For any of you who've been watching for at least a decade...or more...its the same shit. Tell me when have Italy giving any team a real beating? And don't mention the pre 06 friendly vs Holland and Germany. Those were exceptions to a rule that has existed since I started watching in 1980.

On the sideways passing at the end of the game, that was obvious. Malta put half their country into their penalty area and there was no way anyone could get elbow room to scratch their nose. It was also the 90th minute and they were chasing a game that probably could-a, should-a, would-a been 3 to 5-0 if finishing was better but still at 1-0 and the Malteasers were still reluctant to try for an equalizer??! I mean really?

You have Italy at 1-0 in the 90th. What's the worst that can happen if you commit some players forward? You get a fluke goal and draw the game, or you concede another and lose 2-0 (like I preducted? ;)

So our defense held it deep until they were forced to go forward and chase it. This is far from the tiki crap Prandelli was aiming for as a priority. What happened? It forced Malta's forwards and mids to push up field and the nanetto hit the post with three one touch passes that put him behind the defense fairly quickly. Not bad. I would have been happy as a Larry @FORZA NAPOLI <3 if the little guy scored. He's deserved something in the last two games.

The real problem in this game, and the last, has been the finishing. Fix that first.

jerrito and O'Ghiattone repped this.
  14. FORZA NAPOLI <3

FORZA NAPOLI <3 BigSoccer Yellow Card

May 27, 2013
    Land down under!
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    This photo put me in tears hahahaha

15. forza_azzurri

forza_azzurri Member

May 31, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    In form or not...time to give Balotelli a call for Croatia. That game will be physical because that's the way Croatia plays and its why they always give us trouble.

16. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Finishing

Anyone that has wandered through the Juve forum will know that we have had several discussions on this topic. Of course, the simple solution is getting that world class striker. A lot of it has to do with the work rate expected on the strikers under Conte's system. It does take on their legs and it is a factor.

17. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    That might be true. I was mostly referring to that elusive factor called luck. Call me crazy (not tinfoil hat crazy though) and I believe luck favors the prepared. While seemingly more prepared under Conte than I can remember with Prandelli, this team is still experimental. At the end of the day, or beginning and middle of it, I'm not prepared to lose any sleep over two teams that we coulda, shoulda beaten by more goals. That's all.

jerrito repped this.
  18. el napulitan

el napulitan Member+

Sep 28, 2008
    < @sals mom crew >
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    i say it would be a big mistake, 2 unproven players at international level that have never played together, it could work who knows but that game isnt the time to find out, the world cup is the place to experiment, if you name is prandelli that is!.

as for the malta game it was always going to be in the balance as to wether it was going to be convincing when you reshuffle the whole team and play a team that have also never played together, in the end we got what was important, but its clear we have to start gelling together

whilst you're right it was never a concern in the past, i had this debate with a few people in the run up to the 2010 world cup where they kept insisting we never bother in qualifiers when i said we would flop because of how bad we look under lippi v2, i had to point out that in the past we had great players who win gaves in a moment if needed to against these lesser teams, but lippi never had that also partly due to his absurd selections, (picking a strike force that doesnt score goals lol). it wasnt rocket science that we would flop.

and i also think whilst we wont thrash teams now we certainly need to get things right in these games so we can go into the euros with every one knowing their roles and their teammates roles, we arent good enough to be ignorant and snub these teams (just ask costa rica)

Calcio Pauly repped this.
  19. Nek Sanalet

Nek Sanalet Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    Dec 30, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #219 Nek Sanalet, Oct 14, 2014
    I completely agree with you. Its amazing how many of the big teams have already lost in qualifying. When was the last time Germany squandered one of these games. The same for Netherlands who have lost 2 now?!?!?!? Portugal, Spain, Greece. Belgium drawing against a weaker team. Turkey, who were once a solid 2nd tier team floundering in last place. Max points is still max points.

No. We have players like Berardi, Gabbiadini, Destro, Pelle, Belotti, and Bernardeschi who deserve it more, are in form, work harder, and have more upside. I'm currently down on Immobile, but even he can redeem himself in the future. I'm also hoping that El Sharaway can get healthy…he could be a nice addition as well if he toughens up. This is the time to give these players a go. Give them some much needed caps.

Yeah its something I've noticed and others have mentioned before. Italy has always had suspect conditioning as well. Either way, I've never seen a team so happy to be down 1-0. Malta were more scared to lose 2-0, than gamble and push forward for the tie. Darmian, Aquilani, and Ogbonna were more than happy to oblige by making the most redundant back and forth passes. If you are okay with losing 1-0….. than Italy is the team for you!!!!

jerrito repped this.
  20. Daei_10

Daei_10 Member+

Aug 22, 2007
    LA, California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    never understood the big deal on balotelli. he has barely scored 14 goals in 1 season....matri and amauri have scored more than that. he is a spoiled kid and a headache. i think italy will be fine withou this shenanigans.

21. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    I think you answered it right there. For the record, I'm not saying I don't care or wouldn't like Italy to smash a small team, or big one now and again, but that it never was the case with or without the Baggio's and Totti's. I'm just not ready to hit the panick button, and I'm not suggesting you are either. There's always been the fan that does no matter what the case.

On another note, I dl'd the Croatia and Azer game because I was curious. Azerbaijan actually tried to take the game to Croatia. That made a big difference, and Croatia finished all their chances. There's another one.

Croatia has been a team to give us trouble in the past. I'd like that to end at some point. Now is as good a time as ever :)

jerrito repped this.
  22. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    The not so subtle sub-text behind this post was that I had doubts about whether his injury was serious enough to keep V out of the starting line-up against AZ. The fact that he was omitted from the side on Friday (for injury) and played on Monday (90m) in a second string/alternative/experimental line-up (5 changes) does little to dispel that notion.

Rationale could be to take the pressure off him as many media/fans see him as the "next big thing".

Anyway Conte has made clear that he is down the pecking order in terms of central midfielder spots. I doubt V's passing sideways exhibition against Malta will do much to change his mind.

23. Calcio Pauly

Calcio Pauly Member+

Jun 17, 2012
    Club:
    AC Milan
    #223 Calcio Pauly, Oct 14, 2014
    You're far too paranoid Tf. Players pick up knocks like all the time that keep them out one game and in the next, but defend your conspiracy theory if you must.

Take the test Totti-fan
    :laugh::thumbsup:

JCNapoli17 repped this.
  24. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I missed the match and did want to see if he offered anything different. Were the passes at least more than 3 yards?

25. totti fan

totti fan Red Card

Jun 24, 2010
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Same old.
    I'm waiting for the penny to drop around here. Although fingers crossed that he develop into a more versatile player.