Euro 2016 Qualification Thread.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Jul 14, 2014.

1. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    As I think has been said before a more "German" mentality - which is good apart from eying the neighbors' land - ;-) couldn't resist.

2. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    We need to figure out how to combine Fer's physique with Clasie's mind - that would be an impressive player!

Oranje98 repped this.
  3. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I will gladly eat my words 2016, but I genuinely don't have any faith in Willems.:unsure:

Btw, I'm really excited to see all the wingers next season! Depay, promes, Kishna, Ould-Chikh, Basacikoglu, Boëtius and maybe El ghazi.. This is a really nice list of players!

4. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    ^ sorry, I messed up the quotes.

I am being hopeful here (really hopeful) but I'm hoping for Nouri. A player from the real buitencategorie, a proper architect. supported by an experienced Strootman as the box to box player and another AM and a DM to alternate with.

Most people would probably say Maher / Ziyech, but somehow.. I have more faith in Nouri making it to the NT in 2016 then those two. I should however reserve my judgment on Hakim Ziyech I guess.. this was his first season.

I will gladly eat my words 2016, but I genuinely don't have any faith in Willems.:unsure:

Btw, I'm really excited to see all the wingers next season! Depay, promes, Kishna, Ould-Chikh, Basacikoglu, Boëtius and maybe El ghazi.. This is a really nice list of players!

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Nouri is 17 years old right now. Unless there is a big surprise he won't get first team football this year and I really don't think he will be ready by 2016 Euros. Maybe only Van der Vaart made the NT at such a young age speaking of midfielders.

6. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Keep in mind that the only reason he is not in the first team is because of his body.

7. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #32 DRB300, Jul 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2014

What Orange14 says. How is Nouri ready for Euro 2016? It is possible maybe. Sneijder was 19 against Scotland IIRC. You think he can pull off a Sneijder?

I think that is a stretch. People are very easy in ditching players that are out of the eye for a while, but I will tell you that a fit and playing Afellay will make a comeback in the NT. How Sneijder played at the WC will turn the 10 position into a free for all.

Promes I agree. I want him on the central play maker position. I think he is better there than the wing. Look at his assist and key pass rate for FC Twente. What I like about Promes is the fact that he has been consistent for 2 seasons now. I rate that. I am not discounting that he became the best player in a lesser league. He still had to recharge himself every week and be consistent there as well and he did just that. Then, the next season at Twente, he was great again and what stopped him was not a natural dip but having to come back from a nasty injury. Many players have 1 good season a then their dip. Not Promes and when fully fit he played vs France and was very good again with U21 against Scotland. Many players look deflated at the end of a season, Promes was stoked. His silly dances after he scores come across as childish, but there is nothing negative about it. Let him do his dances, it might even lift the spirit of some other players maybe. He is a happy goat.

Ziyech's pass accuracy is horrible. Yes he can play wonderful balls deep or give weighted passes, but he loses the ball all the time. He is extremely wasteful. Apart from being able to paint with that left foot of his, he has a lot of improving to do.

Finally I also look forward to Boëtius. There was a flash of him with U21 that gave me an impression of class again. He is a good footballer on top of being a fast winger. He can really combine and connect with fellow players.

It's wonderful we have wingers at the left jockeying for a spot while Robben is still up and running on the right. Short term we need wingers at the left and Depay and Boëtius are developing there, so good stuff.

8. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well Serero is no giant either and performs exactly where Nouri could play. I am looking forward to this. Generation 1997 can not come soon enough.

9. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Serrero is pushed off the ball so easily it's not even funny any more. He also rarely looks for the forward pass, preferring the safer back pass. Maybe things improve this season and the club must see something there as they extended his contract.

10. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Don't underestimate the role Frank might play in that. I have seen Nouri now in quite some full games and whenever he is not in the attacking third, he always back passes as well. It annoyed me to see a gifted player like him never turning around and just give a splitting pass. Quite maddening actually.

The contradiction of the Cruyff revolution at Ajax IMO is that while Cruyff is friends with Frank, the biggest influence on Frank has been van Gaal. If you look at how Ajax plays it is a collective effort over individual brilliance one. That is van Gaal. If Nouri plays like he does in the U17, I can not escape the thought that he has been soaked in a way of playing that fits a collective effort of individual flair one. I feel that the way he plays suffocates what he could do, was he not brainwashed to play it save.

I think Nouri would play differently if Cruyff's vision was followed.

11. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    What about Davy Klaassen?

12. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    That being said, I think Nouri will click with Depay. Depay is an inverted winger, coming inside to get his shot off. Nouri is a player who when playing as a left half midfield players likes to milk the left wing with another winger. Every time Depay threatens to come inside I can see Nouri going outside of him dragging players away from Depay. Then Depay has more room for his shot, or if defenders prefer to block his shot, there should be space for Nouri. Nouri, there and in that position I have seen beating players time and again. He is then able to give an excellent track ball or when he does not beat his man, a good cross.

In theory this is all correct :D

13. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Not a big Klaassen fan.

Where is his vision? His through pass? Where is his dribble? He had a small hype at one point this last season, but for me he is back to being Siem de Jong 2.0. His mentality is good though and he scores goals. Especially that make him a guy to keep an eye on. Goals matter a lot at the top.

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well he is faster and quicker than Siem de Jong.

15. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I really wonder what would have happened had Cruyff stepped in to manage the NT after he left Barcelona.

16. Abhirup

Abhirup Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Kolkata
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    So, does that mean Cruyff's vision is not being followed?? :eek::(
    Could you please shed some light on this? :)
    The 97' generation is our big hope..They should absolutely be indoctrinated with Cruyff's development model in order to turn them into world beaters.
    I'll be damned if creative artists turn into regimentally trained players..Consequentially, we'll have a very good team capable of earning semi final spots in the next WCs..but in order to progress beyond that stage, we'll certainly need artists who'll be able to turn a difficult game on its head with their unique moments of sheer brilliance.

Also, apart from Ajax, are PSV and Feyenoord doing something to produce more flair players??
    Any laudable/praiseworthy change in their vision/model of development??

Cheers!!

17. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    #42 DRB300, Jul 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2014

Going to answer shortly this time.

Cruyff recently said in a column that wants to build up through midfield and reach midfield ASAP to then let them do the job. Recently I heard Ronald de Boer saying that the DM should never be involved in build up other than maybe the third or fourth phase when the they have no clue at the sides what to do anymore and then pass it to the 6. With Ajax I see endless passing between the CB's and backs being involved in build up. Serero always wall passes it back, not passing to the front and Klaassen stands very far, often in the attacking third even. Those 2 half midfielders in the system of the Boer (Serero and Klaassen) are not involved enough in build, no, they are not even positioned well for a good build up as de Boer has his own ideas. Other ideas than Cruyff.

Nouri does already the same as what Serero does. If Nouri receives the ball half way the field with his nose to his own goal, 9 of the 10 times he just pings it back. If there is one player that could actually out maneuver any pressure in his back, it is Nouri. He is our own Iniesta in the making, except he is not if he is already not allowed to practice shaking off pressure in his back every game. In that case he does not become our own Iniesta, but somebody that just follows safety rules and does not become that key asset to win precious space and time for his team. That high reward comes with risk taking and that must be practiced a lot as otherwise when the stakes are high a player will never take that risk later in his career.

Notice at the WC how Netherlands was a glorified hoofing team, skipping midfield often. Midfield is a scary place these days for Dutch teams. It's a spooky area where the turnover ghost rules that can result in conceding goals. It has come this far as our current midfielders are not raised in a way anymore that they can manage the pressure it brings to play on midfield. Or not to international standards in any case. If total control over the ball is not any longer part of the skill set of Dutch players, then yes there is maybe a case to better skip midfield. That of course results in not practicing it and we arrive in the downward spiral. As always, trying to evade your fear leads to a worse state all together. We must face this and go back to raising midfielders that can function perfectly fine with some pressure exercised at them.

The risk evading ideas of de Boer do not get the best out of a Nouri. A player that is made to deal with the pressure that de Boer wants to circumvent. High pressure breads high quality, but what if that high pressure is constantly evaded to guarantee safety? That is why Ajax play the ball all the time between the CB's in the save zone, not higher up.

De Boer is not Cruyff. He is much more van Gaal.

I skip the Fey/PSV question for now. Maybe their fans want to take this one.

18. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    For the point to the front fans, with a City twist in 2 BtoB players behind a play maker. Our own Toure, Fernandinho, Silva set up.

[​IMG]

19. Abhirup

Abhirup Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Kolkata
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    I like that line up...
    but do you think Promes has the vision and handling speed to play the no.10 role??
    Shouldn't we use Clasie (who has excellent vision and can spray passes all around the pitch with precision?) instead?. He tires out playing the DM role after 75 minutes or so...but we can actually use his creativity in the AM position.Can't we?? :)
    Also, do you think De Vrij has had a good tournament??? I liked his interceptions a lot.He can also play good football..showed some nifty footwork against Brazil IIRC. He's just a bit too slow IMHO. At times, he looked like a seasoned world class defender and at times he resembled a massive tank with zero turning speed..Also, he played an infinite number of passes with BMI at the back which I absolutely detested. Do you think we can use him as part of our back 4 if we switch back to 4-3-3? :)
    And BTW, the most important thing is..when will Strootman be back??? Any update on his injury? Couldn't find anything substantial from twitter that's remotely germane to this topic .. I don't think he'll be available against the Czech Republic...will he?

20. Roofvogel

Roofvogel Member

-
    Netherlands
    Jun 17, 2014
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I am really excited about Euro2016. My first tournament was 1998 so it's going back to France. Also with Hiddink again! France has some of the most beautiful stadiums (Stade de France, Parc des Princes, Velodrome). Unfortunately Nantes was not picked.

There will be 24 participants this time. Become 1st or 2nd in your qualification group and you're good to go. 3rd place will give you a play off. So even Gareth Bale has a good chance now.

I hope Robben and Sneijder can still be important by that time.

21. Roofvogel

Roofvogel Member

-
    Netherlands
    Jun 17, 2014
    Club:
    FC Groningen
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He will be back in October, apparently..

http://www.voetbalzone.nl/doc.asp?uid=219542

22. Abhirup

Abhirup Member

Nov 26, 2013
    Kolkata
    Nat'l Team:
    India
    Thanks for the link Roofvogel , but I'm afraid I don't understand Dutch..Google translate did a pretty decent job though :thumbsup:

23. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

@ Promes: I want to test the water with him in center. I thought he was not that impressive vs France on the wing. He is actually pretty creative, has some vision, speed and finishing ability. Not sure on handling speed but his technique is actually pretty decent. He also brings a different flavor to that position. A player that also has an individual action. With Sneijder we need speed in front of him so that he can ping balls to those type of players. The more speed Sneijder has in front of him, the better Sneijder is. With Promes we have an attacking player that can also go on an adventure with the ball himself.

@ Clasie. Yes Clasie as play maker is and idea that more people on this forum are toying with. At least I have seen this suggestion floating around in some threads in the past. Why not test this in a friendly? Had we tested Kuyt as left back before 2012, we might not have played an 18 year old Willems on that position after Pieters got injured. On this forum JC14 suggested this I think as far back in 2010. Van Marwijk did not have any imagination in this regard.

@ de Vrij: I wanted to make some screen shots from de Vrij in for example the Mexico match and how he comes diving into an intervention to then get burned. This is a repetitive thing with him. In also was the basis for the Costa flop and penalty. That combined with no corrective ability due to his slow turning around his own axis makes me unsure about his future for the NT if we go back to a 4-3-3. His attacking heading has improved, but defensive heading is still not good enough either. The reason I have chosen for other CB's is because with more space in their back and space to defend I have less faith in him than in Kongolo in 1 vs 1's. I think that Kongolo is faster than de Vrij, I think he is a better defender as de Vrij and as good on ball as de Vrij. In short, Kongolo might be more complete. De Vrij did get this WC experience, so we have to see how he takes it from here. He can play football and that is big + in the Dutch NT. Vlaar and BMI less so.

@ Stroot. I think as important is the development of van Ginkel. I remember well how Stroot was subbed off with U21 against Russia IIRC while van Ginkel stayed on. Clasie, but also Stroot in the end had to make room for van Ginkel and Marco did well that U21 Euro. His injury and rustiness in coming back combined with jump in development of Strootman at Roma make people forget that van Ginkel was growing into maybe our best midfielder. At least IMO. He is very complete bar pass accuracy and pass imagination. Stroot might be back in October by the way.

24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    LOL, my first one (not with the Dutch) was the 1966 WC. My father got to go to some of the 1974 games in person with his Dutch cousins (saw the nasty semifinal against Brazil).

@DRB - I think de Boer does use lots of van Gaal approaches which is no surprise as he played under him. I also think he talks with Cruyff as well. The difficulty is that he came in as manager with players who were ill suited to Cruyff's approach other than Eriksen who is now gone from the club. He lost the one DM who might have made a difference (Anita) and it turned out that Enoh was not good enough despite a good first season. FdB's main stubborn streak was the continuing use of de Jong in midfield which was very limiting. Serero is not good enough for reasons I've already pointed out. Will Nouri have more freedom when he comes into the team? I'm not sure though he is more talented than Serero. Klassen has much better ball skills and quickness than de Jong but he's not doing much more than de Jong did.

I assume Blind will stay at DM as long as Boilesen remains healthy and it will be interesting to see his continuing development there (though this is not his NT position at the moment). Anyway we are digressing about Ajax tactics too much and not talking about developing players for 2016. In that respect we will have to see how Nouri does as he moves up to the next level. Certainly the Jong Ajax matches that I was able to watch last season were much more attacking in terms of the midfield than the senior team.

25. Mr.S

Mr.S Member

Oct 22, 2011

@ This and you'r Team post earlier.

Speed is one of the last qualities of a CB if he knows his stuff. It is a handy stuff, sudden acceleration, turning radius and time and important against tricky fast attackers and 1 vs 1 but is not crucial. I saw Real vs Bayern and Boateng is one the fastest CB's around and he was getting taken apart. Pep put Javi in a withdrawn DM role who is massively slow and was 1 on 1 vs Bale and I thought he would get destroyed but his anticipation, tackling, long legs and intelligence made him own Bale.

De Vrij has shown brilliant anticipation and positioning IMO for a rookie 22 year old. I am a guy who never rated him. And I still don't rate him that high. But I acknowledge him. You put anticipation, clean tackling ability, intelligence and positioning on 1 side and everything else on 1 side and the 1st side wins by a landslide.

I was also pleasantly suprised by Vlaar who curbed his hoofball somewhat as the tournament progressed and grew massively as a defender. Both of them deserve to start unless some guy really steps up or they falter.

@ Other CB's - Kongolo-Rekik IMO will be disaster. Two Left CB's have rarely worked. Add to is that these are 2 green young and inexperienced. You need 5-6 years of League Football at a reasonable level to reach you're peak. Another reason is Rekik is average on the ball while Kongolo is decent but you put Kongolo at RCB meaning he will be struggling with having to play with his weaker foot. That makes it even harder for Kongolo to distribute the ball and effects Build up play.

Rekik is way too green and looked like a joke in the Milan Matches. He has great raw talent but needs to have 3-4 seasons under his belt. If he goes back to City, I don't see his career flourishing.

Mid-field - Promes, I doubt has the intelligence to orchestrate a midfield and provide breathtaking vision or provide the work-rate to provide a 3 Man Mid-field.

You add a Double Pivot of Strootman and Van Ginkel. I am not a fan of the Double Pivot when you can do something better. Add to it Stroot and Ginkel and Box to Box guys who also look to attack, the mid-field is likely to be over-run.

Clasie @ CAM is worth a try but prior to that I would like to see him used in a Box to Box role. Let's see how he does in a Xavi role rather putting him from DM to a CAM.

Ziyech is hit and miss but he can produce magic which is something I look for in a CAM. If he matures he can be a player.

Wijnaldum is skilled and has the work-rate. He should also a Good Back-up player for a few positions.

I also think U-21 games and Pot's judgement should be the final point of discussion. Did he not play Maher ahead of Clasie. Different games, coaches and motivations. It's difficult to judge. Stroot had a good season with Utrechet and PSV. Ginkel had a good season with Vitesse but I don't think he outgrew the league. He needed a good season in a club like Ajax. Strootman took a massive leap with Roma, his game has developed while Van Ginkel missed a season.

You add that he is at Chelsea and I don't see Mou making him a key player. I think him & Rekik will meet the Ola John fate of going abroad too early and might not make it.

Again I think it a great thing we have a good pool with Vlaar, De vrij, Kongolo, Veltman, BMI, etc.

It's too early to pass judgments as of now. I would definitely not like Siem Part 2 -> Klaassen as a CAM though.