Euro 2016 Qualification Games: Netherlands vs Iceland & Turkey

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by DRB300, Aug 30, 2015.

?

How many points will we end up with after these 2 games?

1. 6 points and both opponents never had a chance.

29.2%
  2. 4 points. We will slip either at home or away.

29.2%
  3. 3 points. Can see us beat one opponent, but also lose to the other.

16.7%
  4. 2 points. Why winning when you can draw?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 1 point. Winter is coming.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 0 points. With this coach, with these players and the state we are in, we must expect the worst.

25.0%
  1. thatkid

thatkid Member

Jun 21, 2010
    Netherlands
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The embarrassment is unbearable, but I saw this coming.. I have already kind of made peace with this in the last qualification round, so I guess this wasn't as painful as it probably is for others. I put all my cards on Robben for a last chance so when he was out, it as already done for me.

I just want some good football in the remaining matches.. It's doesn't matter if we loose. Just.. for gods sake, select players who can do stuff with the ball.. Don't give me Narsingh and klaassen and Bruma and VDW again..

2. CDPontaDelgada

CDPontaDelgada Member+

CD Santa Clara
    Aug 15, 2012
    Ponta Delgada PT
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    No easy games anymore in UEFA
    It's that kind of attitude that got the Dutch in trouble.....not here to rub salt in the wounds but Kazakstan are a team on the up hell they have Astana in the CL underestimate them at your peril

If you think going all the way to Kazakstan is easy in a hostile environment

3. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Holland always win such games, maybe it will be like Latvia, they'll hold us for 50-60 minutes, but there is no way we can lose points there.

If we do then it would be something so new in the dutch football cause I don't remember us having lost points against such weak teams, even against Luxemburg in 2008 we struggled but could win 1-0.

4. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My daughter and I were baking bread together, a far more profitable activity than watching this match. I did tape it and watched it in between working in the kitchen. So we have a score line consisting of two defensive errors and on the second goal probably a shot that should have been saved and add to that a goal gifted by the linesman and the match official who at the moment of truth decided that shirt pulling is OK. I really cannot believe that one was not called in favor of van der Wiel, just disgraceful officiating. I wonder what UEFA will have to say about that.

The only redeeming feature is that the team did not give up; unfortunately there was very little quality out on the pitch. Memphis was good and then you have to search high and low for any player who had even an average game. I thought Blind was much better when he moved to center defense in place of de Vrij. Riedewald was OK. Klaassen is in over his head. van Persie had two good touches and should call it quits on the NT. Narsingh had some good moments but when we needed a goal, it didn't come. Sneijder is too slow and moves that he could have made 2-3 years ago, he cannot any longer. Bruma is a semi-decent Eredivisie player and that's it. de Vrij was at fault on the first goal. All the substitutes failed to impress. Cillessen made two very nice saves but failed on the 2nd goal.

The generation that did so well from 2008 -2014 is now officially gone and we'll see what the future brings. Also remember the disaster that took place in the last Euros. Stuff like this happens to every team. Time to move on. I'll see you all when the WC qualifiers start up. Not much use in wasting any more Internet bandwidth on this team. It's dismal history.

5. richsavare

richsavare Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Jan 28, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You are correct about Referee. He was poor.

6. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    The fact that Wiel was given second and third chances is deadly for a top sport culture. Elite teams don't give 10 chances to losers. That very example is what is wrong also. Wiel who was put aside like a todler and went don with 1 second shirt pull. He can not bank on a ref calling it. He needs to be a wall there and never let that guy get past him. What a f***** loser that guy is and the worst thing is that I still think we will see him next game again. So Blind owns these results. He selects and gives that joker 180 minutes. #Blindout.

7. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Anybody have video of Blind's post-match news conference?? I missed it

8. Parel

Parel Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    NAC Breda
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    But surely losing at home to Iceland is already more or less getting to a lowpoint in recent memory? The last time Holland lost a home European Championship qualifying game at home was 52 years ago. Against, appropriately enough, Luxembourg...

I definitely can't rule out Holland dropping points in Kazakhstan now. Certainly not after the last four days.

I'd say any slight hope for help from outside would be from the Czechs rather than Iceland. Problem is, since Turkey have Holland beaten head-to-head, they need to now drop three points, e.g. losing in Prague. I see this as more likely than Iceland doing anything in Turkey. But still rather unlikely, since both of them might have largely their B teams out.

9. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    #459 Laurent75, Sep 6, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
    Seriously I haven't seen any. He got his 1vs1 thanks to RVP backheel pass that surprised the turkish defender.

There was a moment at the beginning of the game where he had a huge space, and Sneijder managed to see it and gave the ball but Narsingh ran too early and got caught offside.

Everything he did with the ball was uninspiring and aimless, as always.

10. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    By the way, if equality between Turkey and us, what rule is applied ? goals difference or the results Turkey vs Netherlands ?

11. KGOranje

KGOranje Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Head to Head results.

12. TFC Ajax

TFC Ajax Member+

Mar 20, 2011
    Greater Toronto Area
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't feel confident going into any game against any team. Hiddink and Blind have poisoned the mentality of this team by allowing them to be afraid to lose against teams much smaller, and as a result they are also afraid to win. They have the mentality of a team battling relegation rather than one fighting for a championship.

13. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    I just realized we have a friendly planned on november the 17th against Germany, it's weird, isn't it ? It's supposed to be the play off date.

14. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Does anyone know if Bas Dost was left out because of injury or because of tactical reasons??

15. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Cheer up. Holland wins their final two, and Turkey loses in Czechia.

Holland goes to playoffs.

16. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    He's our most accomplished defender though. And not a bigger loser than Janmaat/Indi/De Vrij/Bruma etc. Also, he was not at fault for the first two goals. So to pin this loss on him is kind of ridiculous.

17. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    I agree. it is more probable that Holland advances to the playoffs over Turkey. Both Iceland and the Czechs will want and fight for the first spot. I don't know why some of you guys think otherwise... no one is resting till the end.

Turkey losses 1 and ties 1. The dutch to win the last 2.

Keko repped this.
  18. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Does #1 spot give seeded positions? I'm unaware.

19. minuscapita

minuscapita Member

May 10, 2002
    Fremont, ca
    Club:
    Atletico Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    That's what I though. What would be the point of 1st and 2nd otherwise? but I honestly don't know.

20. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Iceland 0-0 Kazakhstan after 82 minutes...

21. Parel

Parel Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    NAC Breda
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Whether 1st spot gives any kind of advantage to seeding or not, I still see a huge difference between fighting for top spot (Iceland/Czech Rep) and fighting for qualification survival like Turkey will be. Having received a huge boost in confidence after the game today, I think Turkey will go on to finish the job (80-90% chance maybe).

22. Laurent75

Laurent75 Member

Aug 2, 2014
    Turkey hasn't qualified since 2008, they're hungry, I also believe they won't miss it this time.

23. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Iceland and Czecho have both qualified for the Euro

24. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a way Turkey might actually have an advantage having to play the top 2 last as they have nothing to play for, and judging by the way Iceland played today, that might be a winnable game. But anyway, we'll see it's not over yet, but Turkey's 2 point lead is essentially a 3 point lead due to the head-to-head results so 4 points will suffice... I can definitely see them getting a draw in Prague and then a win over Iceland in Istanbul....

25. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    At the moment he is accomplished in sitting on the bench at his club. What does accomplished mean exactly if we look at how he has performed for the NT last years? The guy was good in 2010, but ever since around Euro 2012 he has been a shadow of himself. I remember van Rhijn being a blessing for a short while compared to him when he was injured towards the end. He was horrible as early as Iceland away. There is something so off about him and it is fear. It got under his skin. I feel sorry for him. I think he is a good kid, but he let in fear and he is a mental midget. What he did again today was toddler stuff. That can never happen, but it happens and killed any comeback vibe if there was any chance. As his penalty was beyond stupid and was pretty damn vital as well. However this focus on mistakes is for me the topping. His fear and mental "midgetness" seeps through the team. The mental hardness of this team is at an all time low. We are quality wise not so bad that we lose 6 points to Iceland. We now even play below our low level. If that is part of the problem, then that does not get solved by putting in the mentally weakest player (or one of them) of our selection. Wiel in the mental state we are, is the opposite of the solution.

Losers, yes, but Janmaat has more bravado. Bad defender, horrible game with NC, but for the NT he has brought more forward drive and chest forward mentality. However that was not the choice tonight as he was not even selected by Blind. Blind made a conscious choice. He deemed Tete to be a serious number 2, not Janmaat. Fine. He even put Riedewald on left back, so he actually was prepared to follow up on that choice in a do or die game. Wiel failed hard last game, he is the player he is and Tete is actually a bit of a pit bull or at least in a pit bull phase. As we are mentally beyond weak, we need that mentality in all lines as much as possible. So let us get something straight here. There were 2 backs selected on the right and it was between Tete and Wiel. Blind went with Wiel again.

This is not the claim or at least the route of the claim. It is about creating a top sport climate where red flags are not constantly ignored and where mistakes are constantly glossed over. If you lose your first qualification game in 53 years against freaking Iceland, than something needs to happen. It is not Germany, not Spain, not France or whatever, it is Iceland and at home in a big game we need to win. Now it is 3-0 to Turkey that looked beyond weak. Boy, even a mediocre team could win today. We are mediocre and could have won, but we even play beyond our low level and that has to do with mental midgetness. Wiel is just that and such a mistake was the perfect opportunity to finally put this guy on the bench and give the nr 2 the chance. That also sends a signal into the team. He is the prime example of not solving the mentally weak climate in the team which is at the root or a prime root of this whole mess.

Parel repped this.