Pre-match: (EURO 2016 - Group Stage) Germany vs N. Ireland 06.21.2016 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Lahmfan, Jun 18, 2016.

?

Who is going to win it all?

1. Germany

6.3%
  2. Deutschland

62.5%
  3. Alemania

31.3%
  1. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    No one's disputing that, but its important to defend, and our possession and passing is an important aspect of our defence. As long as we're creating chances and limiting our opposition's, I'm content. The most important part of scoring is creating the chance to score in the first place.

Der Müllerschaft repped this.
  2. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What has all of this got to do with the goaling? 26 to 2 attempts and you score 1 goal.

3. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sometimes football is like that. As long as we keep winning, that's all right by me.

BorisG and Minttunator repped this.
  4. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sometimes in one game yes. Sometimes over the span over two years where at the end a phaseout model Gomez has to put the ball over the line?

5. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Still haven't heard the changes you'd make.

6. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    if we get Slovakia, it will be pay back time and good thing too that we played both Slovakia and Italy in friendlies this year.:)

BorisG repped this.
  7. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I thought I made that clear when we had the 5 at the back and wingback debate.

8. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And how does this help score chances?

9. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    we will destroy them. This wont be like hte friendly

BorisG and Ger90 repped this.
  10. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We would create overweight on the wings without exposing our defense. Opponents would have to move personnell to the flanks creating more space in the backfield and in the middle. That is tactics. Then I would field Reus fit or not. Then I wouldve taken Lasogga or Kruse as well into the squad and put them with others together in a way that there arent 5 playmakers on the field.

11. EmersonRW

EmersonRW Member

May 3, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    To be fair, I think Low did some things well, but also some things that hindered Germany's ability to create chances and control matches.

This narrative from a couple of posters (not you) that "Germany kept a clean sheet, Low cannot be criticized" or something similar is like a mosquito in one's ear match after match. If someone doesn't want to discuss, then why come to a forum at all? If there is no room for discussion, then don't log on to a discussion forum.

Low played a true striker up top instead of Gotze, and replaced Howedes with Kimmich at RB. Both moves the vast majority of his critics have been calling for, and both moves worked out well. Low doesn't like change, so he should be given credit for this.

However, he waited 2 painful matches to do so, and also inexplicably switched Muller back to the right wing for the 2nd half of the Northern Ireland match after Muller set up Gomez's goal and hit the crossbar playing behind the striker.

He also barely won the group by, literally, the slimmest possible of margins (1 goal difference) with by far the most talented squad. Thousands of armchair coaches have been calling for a real striker to create space for others and finish attacking moves, something resembling a fullback at RB, and Muller to be played more centrally, and what do you know? It worked beautifully for the first 45 minutes until Low sent Muller back to the right wing again because of some weird obsession.

It's simple - Muller cannot excel at winger, Gotze cannot excel at striker, Howedes cannot excel fullback. Hopefully these players being used at these positions will not continue to be an option as Germany progress in the tournament. Ask Ancelotti about winning tournaments when your squad doesn't necessarily have overpowering talent. It's about putting your players in positions where their best talents are highlighted. Just ask Pirlo, Seedorf, Shevchenko, Maldini or Kaka.

BorisG, pikuchan, Alex C and 4 others repped this.
  12. Berchtesgaden

Berchtesgaden Member+

May 18, 2011
    Milwaukee
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I am not above any quality discussion. Nor am I in the Low is not to be criticized camp. I think the points you bring up are valid and Low must certainly answer to the critics.

my point was that posters on this board have gone beyond simply questioning or positing why another formation might be better to outright mocking Low

IMO, that contributes nothing. Anonymous posters mocking a world champion coach. I am not saying that was you.

nekkibasara, Dage, BorisG and 3 others repped this.
  13. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    stop being above people and act all superior

14. Mudig

Mudig Member

Mar 29, 2010
    California
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    HECTOR MUST GO! BRING IN ALABA

15. rj123

rj123 Member

The team with the most German NT players
    Germany
    Nov 21, 2010
    Winnipeg, MB
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    It's been mentioned before but I thought Kimmich played great. His forays on the right side were Lahm like, excellent crosses into the box and he cuts into mid field some what like Lahm as well. My only concern, and perhaps others can comment on this, is he was working against a very weak N. Irish team, he hardly had any defensive challenges to take care of. If he is solid defensively I think the RB issue is solved.

16. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    With Kimmich securing the RB spot the only change I'd advise Löw to do is put Rafinha in at LB

Lahmfan repped this.
  17. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Alaba would do better

18. P to the Wee

P to the Wee Red Card

Nov 22, 2011
    Susan is a Little Lamb
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Alaba would only join if he played in the midfield so we went with Rafinha

19. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I really liked what Kimmich showed at RB; it allowed for so much more space in the middle for us to exploit now that the defence has to defend both sides of the pitch. With Hoewedes being so ineffective going forward, the defence could heavily shade left to prevent us from switching the play to Hector. Kimmich allows us to fully stretch the defence and enable that bit of space in the central areas to create plays like the one that gave us the goal.

Hopefully, Loew won't go back to Hoewedes for the remainder of the tournament.

BorisG, Dhajj and EmersonRW repped this.
  20. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The most dominating performance we had in the last 2 years.

The good:

Gomez up top to be point man freeing muller to do what he does best

Kimmich as our RB lock period end of discussion

Much faster build up and linkup in final third

Much greater urgency and effort then we've seen in a very long time

Neuer Kroos and Boateng still our best players this euro

The bad:

The finishing is dreadful!!!!!

The finishing

The finishing :rolleyes:

Muller needs to start scoring at the euros :/

Minttunator, BorisG and MatthausSammer repped this.
  21. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    From your lips to gods ears..

Everything from that formation and lineup was so much better.

The real question is do we keep Gotze or is he benched? Because EVERYONE was terrible finishing today so I can't just pin it on him.

MatthausSammer repped this.
  22. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yay! I like positive Dhajj! Way better than pessimistic, negative Dhajj! :D

23. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'd prefer it if we would've benched Goetze instead of Draxler; I think Draxler would've been able to exploit the space better, but that's just me, and its not a big deal.

lamcam repped this.
  24. BMGuy

BMGuy Member

Bayern Munich
    Sep 6, 2004
    vietnam
    see, I've said many times in other threads long ago, Kimmich should reconsider his favorite playing position to RB given the situations in the club and NT. Not sure if he has playing time next season when in the middle Bayern have too many options, while on the RB, he could be Lahm's understudy till he retires.

25. MatthausSammer

MatthausSammer Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Canada
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We'll see what next season holds for young Joshua. No matter where he ends up, I look forward to watching him develop further.