Euro 2016 - Everyone but us.

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by JC-14, Jun 10, 2016.

1. I'm casual looking at the France match with not constant attention, but it looks like that Pogba dude ishaving a shit match. The moments I watched his ball control is below even mediocre general Eredivisie standard.

2. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Pogba just showed us once again that attacking midfielders and strikers should not be playing defense in the box

3. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No we can agree on games like Costa Rica. You get no push back from me. I actually think the Australia match was even worse from a passing perspective. As the friendly before the WC against a weaker team (Wales without Bale and others IIRC). The worse the teams, the worse we looked. We could not make the game anymore, while that was always a strong characteristic of the Netherlands. So I agree with you.

My point is more that so far this Euro has not had a "holy shit" game (that puts it on fire), while I would classify the Spain vs Netherlands game as such. A game that shocked people a bit and give people a feel like "alright it is on". I did not link a video of the whole of 2014 campaign in Brazil, just the Spain game. Maybe that is where we have a bit of confusion.

2008 was fun in the group stage. I just also remember the qualification. It made my eyes bleed, while qualification 2014 before Strootman was injured, we started to play better and better under van Gaal (also making the game more), with a crown game (friendly) vs Colombia in the Arena that I see as one of the best games of Oranje the past 10 years. Especially as we played with 10 men for over 45 minutes and still were the attacking side. The bunker team as you characterize Oranje under van Gaal was especially a creation/solution after Strootman got injured a few months before the WC. My problem is that van Basten (the coach of 2008) gets too much credit vs van Gaal (who is a bit dismissed with the bunker team term, though rightly used for Oranje at the stage of the WC).

Hmm, Remember the super chance for Sneijder in the first 15 minutes or so? That penalty was pure bullshit. If you look it in slow motion , you see how evil this Costa fellow is. The fact that can think so quick to get a penalty out of that situation tells me the guy is scum. If that is the way Spain wanted to win, I enjoyed their beat down by the Oranje lions.

If I think back to the Spain game, I just get a rosy feeling inside. Second half was action packed and also had the great volley on th bar from RvP and that volley from Robben and the chance of Wijnaldum, plus all the goals and the great pass from Sneijder. No, the Spain game was great overall IMO and really kick started the WC. Of course, second half was better than first half, but the first half did have a beauty of a goal. One of my top 5 or 8 goals ever for Oranje. That happened in that first half.

4. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Or this retweet from him

746809087388712960 is not a valid tweet id

5. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I thought before this Euro that I would watch many games, but I have not. It can not really catch my attention. I mean, look at the menu this day and see how uneven the matches are. I can't say this bigger group of nations at the end stage is doing it for me. I understand that the Icelandic people will disagree and I can enjoy their joy. I read somewhere that 10% of that nation is in France or something. Hilarious of course.

6. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I can see myself watching more from the Olympics than this Euro.

7. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Germany is on in an hour. Slovakia .... do it. After that, Belgium. I settle for 1 of the 2 to stumble. I am in need of some schadenfreude.

8. White/Blue_since1860

Orange14 is gay
    Jan 4, 2007
    Bum zua City
    Club:
    TSV 1860 München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  9. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Germany has a 2-2 record against Slovaks:

29.05.16 FRI Germany - Slovakia 1 : 3
    06.06.07 EUR Germany - Slovakia 2 : 1
    11.10.06 EUR Slovakia - Germany 1 : 4
    03.09.05 FRI Slovakia - Germany 2 : 0

10. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    White/Blue_since1860 repped this.
  11. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Yeah, so Germany wins when it matters. Bummer.

12. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Dutch are simply the best?? Whats he trying to say here??
    Does he mean our fans??

13. DRB300

DRB300 Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I think Schlausten translates to smartest. If the context is indeed the photo with the bored Dutch pundits, then I think it is a general joke about the Euro 2016 so far, not being happy with it. We were smart to skip this one.

I agree. Euro 2016 is lukewarm for me so far. No real stunts that set it on fire.

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  14. Parel

Parel Member

Jun 16, 2010
    Club:
    NAC Breda
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Currently the goals-per-game average of Euro 2016 is even lower than in Italia '90, when we didn't even have the backpass rule yet..

Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  15. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Sad to see Germany ahead.

16. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    I hate it how people abuse the word 'Europe'.

17. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Renato Sanchez will be refined further at his new club. Just look at what they did with others like Boateng

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Watch out for my neighbor, Katie Ledecky. She could win a bunch of gold medals in the swimming competition!!!!!

DRB300 repped this.
  19. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well......this game is over

20. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Easiest win of the tournament so far. Looking like a favorite. Next game should be harder for them though. Italy or Spain.

21. Brilliant Dutch

Brilliant Dutch Member+

Ajax
    Netherlands
    Oct 14, 2013
    Amsterdam, Holland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Germany have a terrible record against Italy. And Italy are the only team who are capable of knocking out the Germans right now. Maybe France as well, but I dont think so

22. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    We're all out of Schadenfreude ... there's lots of joy and gayness to be had by everyone though.

23. PuckVanHeel

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Glad that Belgium won. Alright, the manager is not sympathetic but overall it is not a chest thumping group. None exhibit the arrogance of a Hummels for example. Or Ronaldo.

24. How are they going to replace Vermaelen?

25. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    I'm guessing that Wilmots will bring another natural FB, Jordan Lukaku, Romelu's younger brother ... the Spurs partnership of Alderweireld and Vertonghen should work well and having young pacy FBs could prove very useful if Wales bunkers.

Now we're off to Rijsel/Lille ... Hazard country ... we'll basically be playing in Belgium.