Euro 2012 qualifying thread

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by johan neeskens, Aug 30, 2010.

1. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    All based on one game!? I'm excited about Janssen too, but c'mon, De Jong faces tough(er) competition every week! That being sad, I wouldn't mind seeing him feature more heavily in Oranje... the Champions League experience will do him good.

2. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Johan Derksen hates Nigel de Jong. I don't take his opinion seriously anyway.

3. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    BTW, he has been saying for a few weeks now that he wants Van Persie on the spot of Nigel de Jong. :D

Left back's don't get any better than this in Holland. At least he has some skills when on the ball. Pieters got 2 numb feet.

4. ajaxpsv

ajaxpsv New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    L.A.
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Two years to 'find',a LB. Hopefully one will standout,and be solid.IMO for a short term,and if he is back in form,W.Bouma may be a choice. He is 32.

5. BTV802

BTV802 BigSoccer Supporter

AFC Ajax
    Jul 11, 2006
    Vermont
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Did PSV pick him up as backup? He hasn't really played first team football since his injury. He needs to get some serious playing time before he deserves consideration I'd say.

6. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Not really based on one game. He's been a stand-out player for Twente for a while now, one of the best midfielders in the Dutch league, and he also stood out at that Holland friendly v the Ukraine a couple of months ago.

Here's the thing: De Zeeuw is having an awful season so far, as is Schaars, and Engelaar doesn't want to be called up anymore. If you're then looking at left-footed midfielders Janssen is really up there fighting for a starting place, esp when considering De Jong's discipine problems which are constantly being questioned. As Derksen pointed out, when you compare Janssen to De Jong, Janssen is the more creative, has extra weapons (he can basically put the ball anywhere with that left foot of his, whether in play, set pieces or free kicks). De Jong of course brings more bulk to the team defensively and that's what Van Marwijk likes as we know. If De Jong happens to fall out of the starting XI at Man City though, I'm pretty convinced it's Janssen's spot to take.

What some overseas posters might not now is that as a youngster at Vitesse, Janssen was always considered a big talent. His character and behaviour on and off the pitch have long been a problem though. At Twente he seems to have got his act together at long last. Telling for me was his behaviour v Inter. He got grabbed in the bollix, headbutted by Mariga, then strangled by Eto'o - and he kept completely calm throughout and even managed to calm Douglas down. Van Marwijk will have seen that.

7. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    I adore Janssen, but I prefer him to replace v. Bommel

8. Erwin6174

Erwin6174 Member

Jun 13, 2008
    The Netherlands
    It's a shame that he's already 29, he won't be a long term replacement. If he is going to replace anyone at all that is. Nigel De Jong is a complete moron, but apart from his moronic tackles, he really is a good player.

9. ajaxpsv

ajaxpsv New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    L.A.
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  10. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Janssen is just three years older than De Jong and four years younger than Van Bommel.

I'm not really getting the resistance here to Janssen (or indeed Douglas). Oh well, at least Van Marwijk knows what these players are capable of.

11. Erwin6174

Erwin6174 Member

Jun 13, 2008
    The Netherlands
    So Bouma has been called up, who has played like three league matches in the past two years. Still, I don't mind, he's got experience and can't really be worse than Pieters or Anita.

12. In several Dutch footie shows Anita as as a would be replacement for van Bronkhorst has been ridiculed and so the should. Even against according to JC14 shit youth players of Feyenoord he was clueless, so he was against Real against players of the stature he's going to meet in an Orange shirt. He's not even worthy to play in an Ajax shirt.

13. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Who needs a left back when we can beat you with 10 players.

14. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Bouma is playing central defense for PSV and I think because of his injury last year is probably consigned to that position going forward.

15. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Douglas had his chat with Van Marwijk today and both are very positive about it. They are now going to set things into motion (without much chance of succeeding as in the current Dutch political climate you have to blonde blue eyed and xenophobic to be considered properly Dutch)

16. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    I don't mind them being against him becoming Dutch, I hate them because they only say this to make their point. This happens all the time with table tennis, athletics but when it's football it's not allowed.

17. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    I agree. It's the same with the so-called hooliganism. In every town centre people get drunk and beat each other up every saturday night. The police just does its job there. But with football a point has to be made and we have to go on a friggin bus-combi to VVV because the mayor of Venlo wants ro raise his profile. It's pathetic.

18. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    BvM's call up for next set of matches against Moldova and Sweden:

Goalkeepers: Maarten Stekelenburg (Ajax), Piet Velthuizen (Hercules), Michel Vorm (Utrecht)
    Defenders: Vurnon Anita (Ajax), Khalid Boulahrouz (Stuttgart), Wilfred Bouma (PSV), John Heitinga (Everton), Hedwiges Maduro (Valencia), Joris Mathijsen (Hamburg), Erik Pieters (PSV), Gregory van der Wiel (Ajax)
    Midfielders: Ibrahim Afellay (PSV), Mark van Bommel (Bayern Munich), Theo Janssen (Twente), Nigel de Jong (Manchester City), Stijn Schaars (AZ), Wesley Sneijder (Inter), Rafael van der Vaart (Tottenham Hotspur), Demy de Zeeuw (Ajax)
    Forwards: Eljero Elia (Hamburg), Klaas-Jan Huntelaar (Schalke), Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool), Jeremain Lens (PSV), Ruud van Nistelrooy (Hamburg)

Ryan Babel is left off the squad and I'm surprised that de Zeeuw is on given his poor recent performance. Ruud stays up!

19. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Difference is though, that them ping pong players and marathon runners don't plan on moving to England next year.

20. Paganitzu

Paganitzu Member+

Aug 16, 2006
    San Diego
    Club:
    PSV Eindhoven
    You don't know

You don't know if Douglas will

Not a reason to deny it

He has a Dutch girlfriend, has an own company in the Netherlands, he talks Dutch and works for a Dutch company. What is "Dutch"?

21. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Dutch is having a Dutch passport. And he's leaving Twente sooner rather than later. Don't have to act naive about that.

What kind of company does he own btw?

22. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Weird argument. You can only get a Dutch passport if you pledge to never leave the country for economic reasons?

Don't get me wrong, there's a good case to be made for not having his passport process speeded up, and for him just having to wait another year until he gets a passport along normal legal lines. Every other argument is just double standards at best and xenophobic at worst. There are hundreds of thousands of Dutch people who live and work abroad during their whole mature life. Why in god's name do they have more right to a Dutch passport than someone who's paid (considerable!) taxes here for four years?

The one thing that bugs me: I read an article about Dutch soldiers who had limbs amputated as a result of their tour in Afhganistan. Among them a number of boys who were not born in the Netherlands and even a couple of relative newcomers. What kind of a country is this when you're good enough to die for queen Beatrix in some godforsaken place but not good enough to play for Holland when you weren't born Dutch? You never hear Wilders and his ilk about the 'foreign' soliders in the Dutch army do you now.

I agree with Degtyarev, this is a nasty political spiel. If they used real arguments then fair enough but it's all based on emotive, populist bollix.

23. JC-14

JC-14 Member+

Jan 28, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    No you can also get a Dutch passport by living here for 5 years.

How many of those soldiers got a speedy passport so they could join the army btw?