Pre-match: (EURO 2012 - Group Stage - Match 3) Denmark vs. Germany 06.17.2012 [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Lahmfan, Jun 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We no longer go to Berlin's fan zone. Went there the last time in '06 or '08. Too much of a hassle. Despite living in walking-distance. We prefer going to beach-bars, beergardens or - on occasion - watching at home. Lots of public viewing options here in the capital.

I do hope though that the NT will make an appearance before the Brandenburg Gate this time over. Cuz if they do, they'll have a trophy in tow. :)

2. Dage

Dage Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 4, 2008
    Berlin
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I live in Berlin too so I know what you mean. I prefer watching other team matches outside of my home but German matches is most times a big party at home. At least that garantees you can watch the match properbly for cheap money and with a lot of friends.

If one isn't too much etepetete I can advise the "Trommel" in Kastanienallee, a true Berlin piece.

3. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That had less to do with Klose's presence and more to do with the Danes going all out for a winning goal. They left their back four terribly exposed and Oezil made a poor pass intended for Klose that with luck reached Bender instead. Oezil didn't cause "all kinds of trouble" in any match so far. He has mostly been involved in loosing 1v1 duels and then turning to the ref and bitching. Its getting quite tiresome and I don't like his attitude or effort 1 bit. He is reminding me more and more of CR7.

This.

Equilibrium repped this.
  4. Ceres

Ceres Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Aarhus, Denmark
    Club:
    AGF Aarhus
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    Bendtner is top class when he playes for Denmark... he is only 24 and has alredy won 51 caps and scored 20 goals for Denmark.. to compare a little, then former European Footballer of the Year Allan Simonsen won 55 caps for Denmark scoring 20 goals, Ebbe Sand 66 caps and 22 goals.

5. Kampfschwein

Kampfschwein Member

Jan 3, 2011
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah. The guy was totally and utterly drained.

6. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Even before they started doing that, once Schuerrle came on his run prompted a great pass from Oezil.

I don't know what you're on about, but Oezil needs players to run infront of him and find openings, rather than side by the side like Podolski or wait for a cross like Gomez, pure and simple.

Oezils work rate is very commendable, his fitness has definitely gone up and I for one have no complaints about it. At his best? No, and the fact that Schweini had to step up in the Holland game shows it, but he is still capable of producing his best if those around him knew what he demanded as a player.

SoccerFan4182 and SirManchester repped this.
  7. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Gomez has made a lot of smart runs in this tournament. I'm not sure what you are seeing, but he certainly isn't standing in the box waiting for crosses. Its a testament to his goal threat that he is constantly double and triple teamed.

Raumdeuter and Loddar repped this.
  8. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He did make those runs vs. the Netherlands but against Portugal and Denmark he struggled, and thats understandable considering how those teams set up.

odd1234 repped this.
  9. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The game against Portugal was definitely poor (no-one was really moving on offense), but I thought he was very good against Denmark. He moved well, passed well, tracked back a lot. The only thing he didn't do against the Danes was score.

With Gomez there is a trade off, slightly less fluency, for a significantly bigger goal threat that demands multiple defenders.

10. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh I think his defensive work has been outstanding, no question about his workrate to me. Agree, definitely a compromise with him in the line up but it is what it is, we've watched him for years, we know what kind of player he is. It's no surprise.

11. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    As long as he keeps scoring goals, then we can't complain too much about his link-up play. If he had the link-up play of Klose, Gomez would be amongst the best strikers of all time.

12. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Well no striker in the world has such huge conversion rate in addition to link up play. Its like saying If Ozil combines the football intelligence and movement to the athleticism and Stamina of Ronaldo or Rooney.... he would be better than Maradona..

13. GarmischaBua

GarmischaBua Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    If x player had all the world class attributes that he doesn't already have, he'd be an even better player :D

Honestly though this Denmark match shows our team's weakness against motivated, defensive squads of lesser reputations. If they can avoid conceding in the first half, our chances of gaining control decrease pretty quickly. Hope Jogi takes heed vs Greece.

bayern15 repped this.
  14. DerChef

DerChef Member+

Oct 5, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    We got the early goal against Denmark, but mucked up on defending the set-piece. If we can get an similar early lead against Greece, we'll have to watch them on free-kicks and corners, at which they are are pretty decent - like most teams of that type that have little original creativity.

That said, their best set-piece exponent Karagounis is not going to be there.

15. timh19

timh19 Member+

Jul 26, 2011
    Thierry Henry and Samuel Etoo and the Brazilian Ronaldo

16. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You realise Henry was one of the biggest finals chokers in the history of the game? Can you remember a huge final which Henry delivered? 2000 UEFA cup final, 2000 EM final, FA cup 2001 final vs Liverpool, 2006 CL final v Barca, 2006 WM final?

Etoo is a player I love and delivers on big occasions but he has 27 goals in 69 CL games. Thats not a great scoring record to rely on in a campaign for a striker. For example Gomez has 24 goals in 37 CL games

Ronaldo is one of the best strikers of all time. How many times in history can we get that in a lifetime.

17. Thomas T.

Thomas T. Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Hamburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I like what Neuer did there. He is very assured on the ball (it is said that he has the skills to play professionally as an outfield player) and has nerves of steel, so the risk of losing possession was very small, and was outweighed by the benefits: lifting the mood of the other German players, injecting some spirit into a team that was flagging a bit, setting an example to be more adventurous, self-assured and innovative.
    And his pass after after one of his forays was excellent. If a German player (Khedira?) had not panicked and fouled a Danish player it would have been a great goal scoring opportunity. Such panicky reactions are a sign of mental weakness. His fear that Germany could lose possession and that Denmark could lob the ball over the exposed Neuer was so great that it blinded him to the opportunity in attack.

Equilibrium repped this.
  18. Lahmfan

Lahmfan Member+

Jun 3, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ok here is an advice to Nauer ...

Stick the ******** on your goal line and dont leave it... we dont want your adventurous and your innovation this tournament and just stay on the goal..
    You already ********ed it up once trying to be a hero.

19. Thomas T.

Thomas T. Member

Jul 24, 2011
    Hamburg
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Lahmfan
    By coming out of his goal, Neuer prevented an excellent chance. The Italian striker would have been through with only one German player near, but slightly behind, him (who only caught up with him because the Italian slowed down when he saw Neuer coming out).
    Neuer took a deliberate small risk to prevent a greater risk. Italy only scored because the ball fell right at the feet of an Italian player, and this player was Stankovic who had to score a "play of the season" type goal to overcome Neuer, who only one or two seconds later would have been back in goal.

Equilibrium repped this.
  20. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    [​IMG]

Kal-El, son of Jor-El....kneel to General Zod!!!

21. Boandlkramer

Boandlkramer Member+

Apr 9, 2009
    Samma Weltmeister!
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    MvB Retires from INTL Footy. Respect to him.

(I only mentioned here because of the above pic)

22. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Member+

Sep 21, 2007
    None of your busines
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    He didn't screw up there. Without his header it would have been an easy goal. Taking those chances means a lot of easy 1v1 vs keeper that generally go in don't even happen due to Neuer actually having balls to do something most keepers wouldn't even think about. If he can cut off the few big blunders he made last season, he can become better than Kahn.

23. Obsidian

Obsidian Member

Apr 22, 2012
    near Munich
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Rep´d. Always liked Mark, and especially the type of player he is. Great personality.

24. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Think its unfair to criticize Neuer for that, its just simply part of the game and allows the team to do the things they do. It's one of the best attributes he has.

25. nekkibasara

nekkibasara Member+

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Neuer is a high risk high reward type of keeper. I don't think the criticism is justified at all.