PBP: (EURO 08 Group B) Austria v. Germany [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Dead Fingers, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snakeater

Snakeater Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Not me!!! Just look at Frings, whose story is similar to Schneider's. He was out most of the year with injuries and just recently returned to action in the Bundesliga. Although he put in some good performances there, we're seeing in this tournament, against international competition, that being out so long he's playing below his usual standard of play. He looks like he's lost, not a half-step, but a full step, his crossing has been poor, and his passing is off. Most notably, Frings hasn't imposed himself on any of the first three games in stark contrast to the World Cup, where Frings was a machine out there against world-class teams like Argentina. I for one am quite shocked by the decline in his form in such a short time. (Just goes to show how difficult football is, and how difficult it is for professional players to remain at their peak for extended periods.)

I love Schneider (he's got my grandmother's maiden name; got to love him for that reason alone). Had we brought him, Schneider would have had a poor tournament, and everyone would have been questioning Loew's judgment, asking why he brought the smoking dinosaur along in the first place.

(Interersting tidbit, I read somewhere that Schneider is an example of one of few professional athletes who's a smoker.) I find that hillarious.

2. Snakeater

Snakeater Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Too many posters are fixated on Fritz, and not enough seem to have noticed how poor Frings and Ballack have been at this European Cup.

In fact, it's become evident that central midfield is an emerging weakness for the German National Team. Frings and Ballack have been out of sync with each other the entire tournament, even against lesser opposition like Austria and Poland. They look slow, sluggish, and have failed to impose themselves on any of the three matches. Frings crossing looks poor. Ballack's passing looks woeful at times. Both players seem to have trouble getting forward to join the attack.

I'd imagine that this is Frings last international intournament. Jones looked ready to replace him, but for some reason, Loew judged that Jones was not ready yet, despite playing in the Champions League quarters. Go figure.

3. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Frings and Ballack will play, so there's not much room for discussion.

Fritz on the other hand...I think I'd prefer Trochowski, too. That would give us decent corners and indirect free kicks right away, which is important now that we're resorting to crap football play anyway.

4. +Gooner+

+Gooner+ Member

Dec 20, 2006
    In the Pampas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Frings has a broken rib so he might not play. It's very likely at least. And as much as I like him I hope he won't. This is a chance for Löw to drop him withough creating any fuss.

Poldi is injured too and couldn't take part in training. Losing him would be a desaster because then we won't score. Plus, Löw would probably be forced to bring Gomez against. So please, Poldi, be fine on Thursday.

Löw said there is a big question mark regarding Poldi so I guess if he's out we will be too. Crap!

5. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Those Austrians were ********ing out of their mind by making those tough tackles and now Podolski and Frings are injured. Dirty basard well done!

That Aufhausser or something was insane

6. kaback99

kaback99 New Member

Nov 5, 2007
    who knows anymore
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    the only good thing that came of Schweini's red card is he should be well rested.

so i say Hitz in for Frings, Schweini in for Poldi, it could work

7. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Is Poldi officially out though?

8. +Gooner+

+Gooner+ Member

Dec 20, 2006
    In the Pampas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    How is this supposed to work? There won't be any goals without Poldi. I only had veague hope for this match because I was sure Löw would play Poldi and Klose upfront and drop Gomez but if Poldi won't start we are not going to get any goals. :(

9. footyfan1

footyfan1 BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 20, 2003
    San Antonio, Texas
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They screamed "The Sky Is Falling" about Podolski after the Croatia match too. He will play. I think Werder Bremen should have something to say about whether Frings plays or not.