PBP: (EURO 08 Finals) Germany v. Spain [R]

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by Dead Fingers, Jun 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kickinthehead

kickinthehead Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I partied at a German restaurant and had a great time, never mind the result. Spain deserved it and we were lucky not to lose much higher!

Lehmann did well tonight!

I'll watch the repeat later on tonight since I couldn't see the game that well on a small screen from far away.

Never mind the final, we were lucky to get there in the first place!

Tomorrow, we'll start from scratch!

2. MrsJuicy

MrsJuicy New Member

Apr 10, 2008
    NYC
    Cheers to a well played game :D

3. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    This has been the worst performance of a German team in any of the 13 major finals we played since 1954. I think even the much-maligned teams of 2000 and 2004 could not have played more abysmally than this team yesterday.

4. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    gregoriak, in your opinion is ballack one of the 20 best players in german history?

5. uclacarlos

uclacarlos Member+

Aug 10, 2003
    east coast
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Don't be so hard on yourselves!!!

Germany has a fantastic team. No team is perfect, and it's fine to be critical of your team and all that. But I really have come to like your team over the last 3 years, and I grew up despising you guy! :)

There were many things that were encouraging about Germany's team. While a few guys might need to be switched out b/c of age, you still have a lot of high quality players. I look forward to watching you in future competitions, whereas before I would watch Germany games out of obligation b/c it's Germany and always a contender.

But I just wanted to say thanks for being such a quality rival. As fans, you guys have been nothing but class w/ Spanish fans both here on BS and out and about. The players on both sides were nothing but respectful. It just made for a pleasant lead up to the match and an enjoyable game.

Cheers!!!

6. MicFW

MicFW Member

Jun 25, 2005
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yeah right, he's rubbish. Only got to the final in his first tournament as manager. :rolleyes:

7. MicFW

MicFW Member

Jun 25, 2005
    Club:
    FC Köln
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Thank you, and enjoy the party - well deserved! :)

8. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    cheers for the post uclacarlos!

9. MUTU310

MUTU310 Member

May 4, 2004
    Malta
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Don't want to sound overly pessimistic, but if players improve at the rate they improved since the last World Cup, then none of this will happen. The only 2 players who played at the Euro that weren't part of Klinsmann's plans are Fritz and Gomez, possibly our worst 2 players at the Euro. I think what we need is a new coach to shake things up.

10. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Stop talking about a new coach as there will be no new coach, simple as that. We've just played a European final, Löw will be the coach for the next two years.

11. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Agree! I think Loew should be our coach in the next 2 years coz i don't see there are better candidates arround. Doll n Matthaus? No ********ing way

The best game we played in the tourney was the game Flick in charge. We played some nice attractive football out there........so maybe remains as a headcoach but Flick should give more advice?

But to be honest, apart from the perfromances shown in Poland and Portugal matches, it reminds me of the German team back in Eruo2000 and 2004: simply no creativity, no pace , defense looked shaky, and some strikers with no confidence in finishing.

12. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think that's over the top. You also have to see Euro 2000 in 2004 in the context of the often hopeless displays during qualifying and in friendlies before these tournaments.

13. Basti Fantasti

Basti Fantasti New Member

Aug 18, 2007
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany only got to the final because:

- The luck of the draw. If we had been on the other side of the draw we wouldn't have got past the quarter finals.
    - The ability of Turkey to knock Croatia out. I am convinced Croatia would have finished us off.
    - The fact Turkey used all of their luck and players to get to the semi-final. We scraped past a depleted Turkish team.
    - The poorness of our opposition. In the group stages coming up against Austria rather than a team like Romania was a blessing. Rustu gave us a goal. Ricardo gave us a goal. The portuguese can't defend.

Germany played well against Portugal, but except for Schweinsteiger's goal the rest were gifts.

The thing that gives Loew's lack of ability away is when people say he will "learn from this tournament". Coaches at a national level should not be learning on the job, they should be experienced professionals. Turkey is a limited team yet their experienced coach got them to the semi-finals as well as giving them enough heart and spirit to take a full Germany squad to the wire. Spain has been plagued by in-fighting in previous tournaments yet their coach has enough guts to leave Raul out for the good of the harmony of the team and they have won their first trophy for 44 years.

Loew's tactical ineptitude is one thing but he cannot even motivate. In all of our games where we have been poor in the first half there has been no obvious change in team mentality.

I am telling you now we will not be able to tactically outwit superior teams with this coach. If we come up against Argentina or Brazil in 2010 expect a drubbing. Spain were kind to us to only make it 1 - 0.

Also saying Loew is good because of Euro 2000 and 2004 reveals a lot. I think these two tournament teams were the worst ever of the German NT. I respect we have to stick with Loew because there is no alternative, but his mistakes also need to be removed from the NT game.

14. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund

U better look at their WC qualifiers lately mate. They have their problems too i guess, finishing 4th in the South AMerican group is only a small indicator. Thier performances were terrible just as ours. Luis Fabiano, Adriano, Love n Robinho are great individuals but there is no chemistry among them............

they rely too much on Kaka

15. Projekt4

Projekt4 Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Lübeck
    Club:
    Hamburger SV
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Basti Fantasti, stop whining.

I take it you haven't seen many games of Germany before the tournament.

Btw, I'm relatively sure we would have beaten Croatia in the semi-final.

16. Basti Fantasti

Aug 18, 2007
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Great counter argument :rolleyes:! Keep it up.

I don't think humiliating San Marino tells us anything. We played worse against Turkey than against Croatia and Croatia beat us. Logic declares we would have lost the game.

17. Basti Fantasti

Aug 18, 2007
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The south american teams always come good when it comes to the tournaments.

18. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    basti fantasti, you're being way too negative in that big post.

after playing like we did against portugal, did you really think we'd lose to croatia??? Forget how we played against turkey in the end.

Croatia are a different team to turkey, and we would have played differently/better against them.

I am going to stick to talking neutrals. English guys. They've been very objective about germany and none of them saw germany losing to turkey (even during the game) or croatia had they met. German fans are too negative.

19. Basti Fantasti

Aug 18, 2007
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Croatia's pass and move game would have hurt us just as much as the Spaniards similar tactic. I think Croatia were awfully unlucky not to progress against Turkey.

20. Kirsten19

Kirsten19 Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Newport Beach, CA
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    I wont ague too much about it. Since everything is just hypothetical.
    Well, according to ur asumption, Russia should've beaten France 5-1 or something. But football cant be calculated like that i'mm afriad

21. deleted

deleted Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Croatia hardly played a pass and move game all tournament.

And we'd have been more motivated coming off the form of the portugal game to carry on OUR pass and move game against Croatia.

Croatia are a team with something to lose unlike a depleted Turkey. Croatia reckon they're good, so they wouldn't have come at us with nothing to lose like Turkey did. It would have been a totally different game.

Any complacency from Germany would have been 100% wiped out after the earlier loss to them.

22. Hrvat

Hrvat New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Zagreb, Croatia
    We reckon we're good as in we're not as good as we think? We hardly played a passing game? We ended the tournament with 3-1-0 and a 5-2 goal difference. Yes, it's our fault we did not succeed in defending that last desperate attack by the Turks and I have no intention of whining about that but you should consider yourself very luck that they pulled off that late equalizer. Oh, sorry, I forgot that we beat you just because your players were too complacent :D What a joke.

Germany is predictable as it gets and not too talented and the game would resemble the one we played in the group stages. It doesn't necessarily mean it would have ended the same, it's football we're talking here after all, but the point is, enjoy your second place and don't complicate too much because it could have easily ended differently.

23. Shiudi

Shiudi New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    i have never seen a Germany team that has NO HEART to fight against the opponents.

24. HeyaBVB

HeyaBVB New Member

May 4, 2005
    Kiel, Germany
    Some say we lack quality. I disagree on that. Germany NEVER was a country of quality, i think what we have is the best we can get atm.
    The problem imho is, as BVB, german national players, except for a few lack COJONES. When a key player is out of the game no one steps up and fills the gap.
    Over the full 90 minutes spain was the stronger team, but as giovanne elber said, we gave away the title, we barely fought back. 10 minutes in the second half, and the first half we did.
    Both times Spain got some trouble. but 20 minutes of 90 isn't barely enough to win a game. Our team played like shit and I won't party with em... cause over the whole Euro2008 that wasn't the same
    team we all loved in 06. And almost all players from the 06 team were starters. The team lacked EVERYTHING we had in 06. I am really angry with the team and Löw that they use such lame excuses. If we had lost with honor that would be ok, but we lost without fighting .... Spain was the better team only because we let em play. I don't mind loosing to Spain, but I mind the way we did.

25. Reich

Reich Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    only in germany you will talk about changing the coach when they just reached the final. only in germany...

truth is. i'll say it again. our keyplayers were either long injured, on the bench or out of shape. that's the reason why we couldn't play like 2 years ago still you could see what the team is capable of against poland and portugal.
    we are not spain that can easily replace a villa with a fabregas or a holland with their van persies or robbens. if a schneider (which is our creative centrum) is injured right before the tournament there is no one that can replace him well enough. to play an attacking 4-4-2 you need the players, a good harmony, balance and most important the team must be 100% fit and totally in shape. that was the case wc06 but not ec08. to change the system to 4-5-1 was the best löw could do in this situation. you think any other coach would have reached the final and won it with this german team? you are dillusional. period.

we got 3rd two years ago and now we got 2nd. now there are still two years to introduce players like marin, helmes and kroos. players like schweinsteiger and podolski are not even close to their peak. trust me. in two years spain is not gonna beat us again!

now get of this negativity. be proud. we reached the final goddamnit!