Ethnic diversity on the MNT

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by LouisianaViking07/09, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    Why would white kids be privileged playing soccer in the US? "Privileged White Kids" play football, baseball or ice hockey - only looser white kids who could not make it into any serious sports would play soccer... (joke).

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You're wrong on that.

I have seen loads of diversity throughout games of soccer, but the perception in many minds is it's a game played by rich white kids or poor Mexicans. That image needs to be crushed once and for all.

3. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    I don't think highlighting the diversity on the USMNT/USMNT/USYNTs would be a bad thing. That's not "wading into politics." That's wading into reality. MLS has their "Don't Cross the Line" campaign. I don't see anybody screaming about how MLS is supporting some sort of political agenda there.

To some degree it would be preaching to the choir. I don't know how a person could be a fan of any US national team program or MLS team and not be pro-diversity. There are moments when we do need to re-inforce our shared values as a community, though. This one is easy.

ayers and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Oh............................I'd add that the USSF and the USMNT/USYNT waded into this territory recently. That event came and went with very little comment from detractors.

I really enjoyed some of what MLS did during black history month this year. They hadn't done this kinda thing before to the best of my knowledge. As far as I can tell it was very well received.

ayers, WrmBrnr and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read his post more closely. He didn't say anything about the professional ranks. Just discussed who played soccer.

6. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pedant! You know what he meant.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  7. Skandal!!!

Skandal!!! Member

Legia Warszawa
    Poland
    Apr 26, 2017
    You better do not come with that to any FIFA event. Message is not associated with the game, and therefore, illegal.

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that "Reality" shows the team is diverse, which is why I said the roster speaks for itself.

As far as every soccer fan being "pro-diversity," you would have to unpack what you mean by that. If you mean selecting a squad based on merit rather than skin-color, then I can agree.