Promotional hat-trick! Ethan Horvath at Cardiff City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 23, 2012.

1. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And that’s how it finished. Horvath with another shutout.

4. futbal nut

futbal nut Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2018
    Yet in the US all you hear about is Zach Steffen and yet he has won nothing and has lost last four games in a row hmmmmm ?

HScoach13 repped this.
  5. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    This is one of the bad Anderlechts. They only managed two shots on goal and they've basically said goodbye to their chances of making the playoff for the Europa. First time in a long time they won't be participating in any continental competition. I can't even remember the last time they were left out, they're by far the most successful Belgian club in Europe.

In short, Ethan didn't have much work today.

6. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Maybe because one plays in Columbus and was bought by Manchester City, while one plays in a league that no one in the US can watch without making a ton of effort to do so.

Or there's a conspiracy that only you're aware of. I don't know though.

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    The more, the better :D

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    4 cleansheets in 6 playoff matches. Hopefully he finishes strong. Gets some interest this summer to keep him motivated going into next season.

Have they announced Team of the Season/Goalkeeper of the Year yet?

9. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can’t judge it unless you’ve seen the actual saves he made.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    This was the team that Sasha Kljestan won some trophies with in the earlier part of the decade right?

11. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yep, three Belgian titles and four Super Cups. Not bad.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I concur though it seems he's mostly overlooked by US fans in regards to his silverware collection. Not sure how vital he was to his team though (in their success).

13. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    No european football for the first time in 56 years

TarHeels17 and Suyuntuy repped this.
  14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horvath must be the best Belgium goalkeeper in 56 years.

15. futbal nut

futbal nut Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2018
    Ok here you go. Zack won’t see the Man City first team at all as he will be loaned out and have to prove himself against better competition which he has not had to do since he left Europe 3 years ago. He had one good season with Columbus saved some penalties in 2017 & has his former head coach as now the head coach of the USMNT not a conspiracy but it’s convenient. But ask yourself what has he won so far in his short career and what pressure packed game has he played in with more than 50,000 screaming crazy fans - NONE.
    Horvath has played and won two league titles (Norwegian, Belgium) and played in over 20 Europa / Champions League matches and beaten Ajax, Fennerbache, Celtic, Monaco and has clean sheets vs Dortmund, Athletico Madrid, Monaco.
    Just compare the results they should speak for something even though you can’t find him on TV in the Belgium league. He has accomplished more than any US keeper by age 23 in history compare the facts.
    Oh and for playing with his feet he is just fine. By the way keepers earn their pay making saves and keeping the ball out of the back of the net, just check out Sean Johnson’s brilliant feet recently since even the pundits were starting to say Johnson should be ahead of Horvath. Horvath has much to work on as do all young keepers but I would ask that everyone deal in facts.

16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    "Why do people talk about Steffen over Horvath?"

"Because people watch Steffen and not Horvath."

"Ok but here's all this shit that doesn't address the first question I asked."

Fans favor players they can watch over those they don't, and those that show well for the US get extra preference. Horvath's week-to-week performance for Brugge is theoretical to fans because they aren't seeing it. When he has played for the US, he has rarely looked good.

There really isn't more to it than that.

TarHeels17 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    You may not like his style or the tactical specifics but it is his system. I did not opine regarding the efficacy of the system. In this case, Berhalter requires a goal keeper who is good with their feet. It is important to the soundness of his choice to play out of the back.

Love Horvaths game in a lot of ways but he is more Petr Cech than Ederson.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Attacks on Steffen don't really make Horvath better or more front-and-center in American minds. And I like Horvath - though I think he for sure needs to keep working on his footwork if he wants the best chance of Bund footie, which would seem like a reasonable move for him if he can improve his distribution.

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm all for Horvath competing with Steffen for no.1 emulating Keller/Friedel. The rivalry helped push both further and the NT benefited.

futbal nut, Suyuntuy and Winoman repped this.
  20. isengrim

isengrim Member

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Sep 17, 2017
    Horvath is doing well at the moment, no more scary moments during last couple of matches.

He should stay at least another year though, too early to leave. I can't see a club coming for him that is willing to pay enough for Brugge to consider selling too, so I don't think this will be an issue this summer. He has done well, but he hasn't excelled.

We don't know what next year will bring, still possible that Leko gets a new contract, we'll see in a couple of weeks.

21. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    At 23, Horvath is the equivalent to a teen in other positions. Keeper is the one position where experience weighs more heavy than the pure physical part of the game. Keepers peak at 29.

He has not excelled, but he's proved good enough to have eyes on him at this point. Eyes with a big pocket.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    A good question that I'm wondering is whether a BL club has enough for him to make his dream move there or will some PL club pick him up to be a no.2 or some relegation club takes a risk on him.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what's the word on Letica?

brentgoulet repped this.
  24. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Nobody mentions his name anymore

25. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006