Promotional hat-trick! Ethan Horvath at Cardiff City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 23, 2012.

1. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    I went to that game!

LouisianaViking07/09 and Suyuntuy repped this.
  2. futbal nut

futbal nut Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2018
    He is the #2 & Horvath is #1 & Leticia does not work hard he was given the number 1 in the off season without earning it ! Horvath with a good run in playoffs Horvath will give himself options in next transfer window plus Leko will be gone as I predicted so I’m sure new coach will value a keeper like Horvath. The Brugge fans are unfairly critical. If players like Vormer and Vanaken would play at the level they did today and score goals then team would have been in first place.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Play off 1 is big money time. No time for switching goalies

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    you think Brugge can pull it off and win?

brentgoulet repped this.
  5. If the difference in points isnot big it's very possible.

6. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    A lot depends on Danjuma, with him FCB did very well, then he got injured and things changed :(
    He will normally make his comeback next sunday

7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Genk is now 6 points ahead, which after the halving would mean 3 points ahead starting PO1

8. Moeskroen with the backing of Bill Gates for sure has to be a challenger of ManCity and PSG for the best players on earth, donot they?

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I didn't catch the game. I can never find a damn stream. Either way, they lost 1-2. Now, bring on the play-offs.

upload_2019-3-18_20-11-37.png

10. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    first game home vs AA Gent , second game at RSC Anderlecht

11. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Horvath gets guidance from a legend to take the next step
    For Horvath, his time with Club Brugge has seen him experience the full range of the team's depth chart. He began last season as the starter and then fell out of favor due to poor form for six months, only to come back again. Even this season, he has been riding the fine edge between backup and starter. Horvath was consigned to backup duty for the first three months of the campaign before becoming the starter at the end of October. Since then, he has shown his quality, delivering a spectacular performance for the U.S. in a 1-0 loss to Italy in November.

Horvath has made his mark at the highest level as well, recording three consecutive shutouts in the UEFA Champions League against Monaco, Borussia Dortmund and Atletico Madrid. Against Dortmund, Horvath prevented international teammate Christian Pulisic from scoring a potential winner.

"I didn't even know it was him until he told me after the game," Horvath told reporters last week. "I thought it was their striker. After the game, he came to me and said, 'Why'd you have to save that?' It happened so fast, I didn't even know it was him. It was a real special night."

Ahead of Tuesday's friendly against Chile, Horvath revealed that a conversation way back in preseason with Bayern Munich keeper Manuel Neuer helped set the stage for his bounce-back campaign. Both Club Brugge and Bayern Munich spent part of preseason in Qatar, and Horvath sought out the Bayern legend.

"That [talk] was a little bit about everything," Horvath told ESPN FC. "It wasn't just about soccer. We talked about everyday life. It was stuff to help me and what he's gone through as well to see if it would [apply] to myself."

The connection between the two keepers has continued in the months since, with Horvath sending a video to Neuer to get his feedback on things such as his positioning and how he uses his body in situations. Yet the mental aspect of the game is where Horvath thinks he made considerable progress, especially in terms of shaking off mistakes.

"I'm only 23, and I'm still at such a young age for a goalkeeper, but it's difficult," he said of navigating the occasional error. "As I've gotten older and played more [higher-level] games, if something does happen, you've just got to forget about it and move on because maybe you still have to make a save in the game, or maybe something still has to be done in the game to help your team out."

Manager Gregg Berhalter said during his news conference that Horvath would start in Tuesday's friendly against Chile. That was news to Horvath, as passed through the mixed zone on Monday, but he's ready for any eventuality.

"If I am [starting], it's a good feeling," he said. "I don't know 100 percent, but if not, I'll support the team 100 percent. It's a great opportunity."

A solid performance against Chile could see Horvath make a big impression on Berhalter, too.

"I think it's wide-open," Horvath said last week of the competition among U.S. goalkeepers. "All we can do is come into training, and whoever plays the game, just show Gregg and the coaching staff that we're ready."

UniversalAdvice and Dr.Phil repped this.
  13. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I think posting large part of an article like this is against TOU for BS. Just put a link in next time with the lede.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Winoman repped this.
  14. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    since when did you become the thread cop

15. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    My bad. I think I had seen something to that effect recently. I'll be more careful.

The Irish Rover, TimB4Last and Bruce S repped this.
  16. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    trying to be helpful

soccersubjectively and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  18. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Was at the game. The uneasy feeling you get with him back there that has been felt at his time with Brugge was there tonight. Feels like you’re escaping a howler frequently.

I hope that uneasy feeling eventually abates. Its a very bad thing to feel in a goalkeeper.

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    could it be owed to not playing behind the likes of Miazga/Ream before?

20. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    His clear to GZ to start the goal was awesome!

21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Whatever about Ream, he shouldn't have any issues with playing behind Matt: the Eredivisie and the Juplier league are of a similar standard, certainly at the top end.

Given his propensity for dropping clangers, it'd be Ream and Miazga having doubts about playing in front of him IMO.

22. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't uneasy watching him against Italy.

23. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen

[​IMG]