Promotional hat-trick! Ethan Horvath at Cardiff City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 23, 2012.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I don't know that we are yet "set" but it does appear that a couple of guys are hitting the higher range of their expectations/abilities, which is a nice change from concerns of a year or so ago. But aside from Guzan, we still lack an active, proven "higher level" keeper. Hopefully both EH and others stay on their trajectories.

2. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I didn't follow him at the time, but was he projected to ever be the no.1 at Freiburg? He was coming off 2 years in college and was no.3 at the club (started for the reserve squad). Not too bad overall considering.

Anyone aware of how he did for the club? Or thoughts of him now?

3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t know if we are set but we have reason for optimism rather than dread.

A good keeper can carry the national team for ten years or longer so only one needs to work out.

4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    It's kinda what Mathew Ryan is forced to do for Australia

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    The US, I believe, punched above its weight in many instances due to 2 exceptional keepers (BF and KK) that insulated us from drops in form, injuries and similar. Be great if we had just 1 keeper reach the level of those two, and would be aces if we had two come close. I'm cautiously optimistic one of the two will become EPL/Bundesliga level regular.

But I full expect Klinsi to pip both of them to become best keeper of the next generation, just out of spite.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    They can but it was thought Guzan was going to do that but he turned into a pumpkin pretty rapidly and suddenly so you can’t count on someone reaching that level and assuming they will maintain it

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    once Howard stepped away from the NT and AV started sucking (more than usual), he fell apart.

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was past 30 before Howard was really over the hill so obviously Guzan was never going to fit that category.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He'll always have that 2012-13 season where he was among the best keepers and he was real solid in 2013-14 season.

I think Horvath can outdo him in the long run.

10. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    All I'm pointing out is even if you have a GK who plays at the highest level (Guzan) who you think will be a high quality replacement, things can change quicky. Guzan went from EPL regular to a pumpkin very rapidly.

So even if Steffen/ Horvath makes it to that level. There is no guarantee they will maintain it for 10+ years.

deejay and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. futbal nut

futbal nut Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2018
    Your assuming Steffen will go to higher league and be a starter when he gets to Europe - big assumption. If you compare what they have accomplished at this point in their careers meaning titles won (2 league titles) and big game situations like Champions League and Europa League (12 games played) Horvath more than edges out Steffen look at the facts. That is what I mean that everyone has a US bias.

12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Those are not reasonable metrics however. I have won more soccer games in the US than any Brazilian player who has never been to the US.

Neither is a finished product yet. It will be fun to watch both of them progress.

13. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    Steffen's deal was reported as a record fee for an MLS keeper. Hard to see him not getting a shot at a level higher than Belgium even if he never plays a league match for City. Of course he'll have to prove himself once the opportunity comes. And Horvath has to prove he can hold steady over the long term. It's an assumption to see this as a given when it hasn't even been two months since he's found his way back in the lineup.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  14. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Pl@ymaker repped this.
  15. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a European, club football, and team association bias. Others are evaluating based on national team play, naturally for the national team. That should be the top criteria, full stop.

16. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1842 Jazzy Altidore, Dec 17, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    We don't have a large enough sample size for either player to say has some strange defect on the national team that doesn't appear in his club play. Horvath was shitty for his club team at the same time he was shitty for the national team, getting dropped for both. Now he's improved greatly for his club team, and there's no reason to believe that won't carry over to national team play.

I think reasonable people can disagree about who is on top right now--that doesn't mean bias is at play.

Zinkoff and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  17. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Goalkeepers don't play regularly enough for a national team for that to be the top criteria.

futbal nut and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    There is no reason to have a single "top criteria." Look at all the games you, look at opposition, look at team's style of play, consider most recent form, make an intelligent assessment. There are even times (N'land, WC Brazil Pks) when you can have two keepers who have different skill-sets and are good for different situations...

19. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The best predictor of future success is past. The only compelling argument you can make against Steffen is the sample. It's six games. That's not big. But he's done well and to consider a player integrated initially you should determine on the basis of best 2 out 3 games. He's had 2 stints like that where he's performed. So if there was a game the U.S. needed to win tomorrow, he should be between the sticks. Horvath allowed one between his, with other shaky moments included.

But the U.S. arguably doesn't have another virtual must-win game for a year or two. So any statuses are hypothetical, tentative, and subject to change (like I said I think Steffen made a myopic move). Nothing to be ardent about. Just was in response to someone who was up in arms thinking there was a U.S. bias or whatever because Steffen is the presumptive #1 by a small margin as of today.

20. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the issue is that you are ruling out club form as relevant to picking a national team player. This makes little sense because we pick who should play and who shouldn't based on club form all the time. To be sure, you (generally) need to be in good club form to get picked in the first place, unless you are an untouchable starter like Pulisic. The bottom line is that club form always going into the decision-making process, and Horvath's has been very good lately against some elite competition. This alone may justify starting him ahead of Steffen.

futbal nut repped this.
  21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    A worthy opponent

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    If he can keep up this form, might he have some interest from decent clubs next summer? I think the best thing is to remain at Brugge. Whether until 2020 or 2021; it's an ideal environment. Try to dominate in the league (win some trophies) and showcase in the European matches.

23. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And I made no guarantee...my language was conditional.

24. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    So defensive. No one is attacking you.