Promotional hat-trick! Ethan Horvath at Cardiff City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 23, 2012.

1. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Positioning and crosses in the box (and distribution, but that's not as big a deal) are his biggest flaws. Coach the crap out of that. He's got great reflexes and gets down fast for a big fella.

2. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think he was pretty aware that the only risk from that move was one of his own defenders kicking it in, though.

3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    #1778 LouisianaViking07/09, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    http://mscom1.matchat.online/player/html/fo0k4S7mRu?popup=yes&autoplay=1

While it's up

All 3 games with cleansheets. 100% this tournament. He deserves a lot of praise for that. I'm not sure what the critics are saying, but he's come back as a modified version and is excelling. With his recent performances, I gotta imagine he's gonna have the club extending his contract.

futbal nut, HartwickFan, Winoman and 4 others repped this.
  4. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Lou Viking has been #1 fan too. So you should get a cut. Seriously.

5. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Or an EPL club come calling.

Lots of American goalies had great successes in the EPL

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I wouldn't turn down a stack or 10 ;)

The Irish Rover repped this.
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    PL is played out. I wanna see Horvath in the BL or maybe Serie A (though not sure if Italians care for our style of keepers).

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I think a solid season of regular, grinding starts in the Jupiler would not be a bad thing. Day-in Day-out pro keeping can be a taxing enterprise. Get as many hours in under the radar while he can.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Another season of these performances. Maybe 2 and he's gotta be on his way up.

10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So they qualified for EL, right?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  11. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes correct. So he has more European soccer ahead of him to A) continue proving himself at a high level and B) showcase himself for an eventual transfer.

That transfer should be in another year or two. He’s young and top league is unforgiving. Get PT and continue to develop.

12. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ethan observes the first commandment of goal keepers: Thou shalt make thyself big.

I see some positives in his feet. Not sure how good but there's signs there of some potential.

My best guess: Eventually he's a good goal keeper and 4 years from now he is in running for starting spot in Qatar if he continues facing high competition level in Europe.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nl/nie...eel-goed-gaat-met-club-brugge-doelman-horvath

Interview: Philippe Vande Walle explains the resurrection of Horvath

Since his return under the bar, there is no longer talk about a goalkeeper problem at Club Brugge. Ethan Horvath held the zero in the Champions League three times and Philippe Vande Walle has an explanation for that.
    Philippe Vande Walle himself was under the bar for ten years at Club Brugge and again what he speaks about. Now he is goalkeeper coach at Standard and he closely follows the performance of all goalkeepers in the Jupiler Pro League.

Horvath did not always act very well last season and this year he started with the arrival of Letica as reserve goalkeeper. "I think he learned a lot from his first period" says Vande Walle. "He looks much calmer, much more concentrated. Horvath has never really disappointed in my opinion. "

[​IMG]

"You also see it in his communication that he now has more experience. He used to put a lot of risk in his game, now I think that these risks are more calculated. His step forward is no more than logical. By playing you build up experience and from the mistakes he made he also learned. And that is very important. I call it a positive way to gain experience. "

Goalkeeper problem
    He is also clear about whether or not the goalkeeper problem is present. "I do not think Club Brugge should look for a 'solution'. A keeper who is new somewhere must always prove himself. See Thibaut Courtois at Real Madrid. He also had to compete first with Real Madrid and was not always faultless. Now he is there. "

14. FreekickSmurf

FreekickSmurf Member

Aug 11, 2013
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those are like our perennial problems at GK so more same same. I don't think the usmnt has ever had a great distributor in goal. And all our keepers since Howard struggle with crosses coming into the box. So I suppose it's up to who has better reflexes and mental strength to handle all the shots that will come our way ala WC14 or Copa America16.

15. mace

mace Member+

Indy 11
    United States
    Jun 5, 2004
    USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So great to see how well he’s done. He very good against Atletico.

A question: what defines our style of keeper that italy would not like?

16. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Our keepers tend not to be Italian.

17. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horvath!

Now time for Miazga to turn it around..

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    And ole Hamid too. Needs to go dominate those Vikings

20. futbal nut

futbal nut Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2018
    He will work to get a transfer to Bundesliga team this summer as a #1...challenge will be is it a club that contends for Champions League since Brugge does. But in the end Leko is hard to trust that with one mistake in a minute you can lose your spot just like that so he will never forget that. Plus he has to capitalize on the performance he is building this year strike while its hot.

21. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Yea, I doubt that, I think he will need to string together at least a good season (18/19) and another good season (19/20) for that to happen.

He only recently won the starting spot back and still has a lot to work on in his game.

(And I'm a fan of his)

22. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Tho I could see a lower mid table team come knocking if he continues his great form in Europa league and league play.

23. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he does well in the Europa League, he might get some interest from clubs in better leagues.

24. futbal nut

futbal nut Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2018
    They are already knocking trust me, they see his body of work going back to Molde plus they know what happened at Brugge with Leko.

25. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Yank keepers have a rep as decent. If there's a position on the field where clubs rush to catch whoever is having a good month, it's keeper: they're such specialized, important players, everybody wants to hit on a good one. Also, they're comparatively cheap, and at 23 Horvath is very young for a keeper.

So, IMO, two more good showings in the Europa and off he goes.

LouisianaViking07/09 and Pl@ymaker repped this.