Promotional hat-trick! Ethan Horvath at Cardiff City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    You are missing the point by a very large margin. Well done. Lol

If there was this much pressure I am sure you will be able to find lots of examples of those people calling for him to play for Liverpool. Lol

There's a reason James kept being dropped by England and Liverpool. He was better than what was around, it doesn't mean he was a good keeper. See the difference? Lol

I just find it funny that someone thought David James was a good goalkeeper and that pressure from random types forced a manager to play him. Lol

Still. Someone who thought that James was the England number 1 at the time probably doesn't have a good grasp on anything anyway. Lol.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  2. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if someone would get this tilted over the idea of David James being a good goalkeeper then there was probably someone equally intense about putting pressure on his playing time. But alright *shrug* Cheers mate.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No, not at all. Just Friedel, was infamously reluctant. And being a sweeper keeper had different connotations back then you had players like Barthez who were good with there feet but they were much rarer. Being a sweeper keeper back then was more a case of if the defence held a high line would the goalie be prepared to run out and just hoof it away and yes in that sense someone like James was held in a much higher regard, yes. So in answer to your question yes and no if that makes sense.

4. The Potter

The Potter Member+

Aug 26, 2004
    England
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No, not at all. Just Friedel, was infamously reluctant. And being a sweeper keeper had different connotations back then you had players like Barthez who were good with their feet but they were much rarer. Being a sweeper keeper back then was more a case of if the defence held a high line would the goalie be prepared to run out and just hoof it away and yes in that sense someone like James was held in a much higher regard, yes. So in answer to your question yes and no if that makes sense.

5. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    So, has David James filed for his one-time switch to the USMNT?

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    After Guzan's fumbling, I think it's fair to say Horvath starts against Italy.

futbal nut repped this.
  7. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Guzan having the playoffs I think that was the likely plan. Give him the first game then Horvath the second. But then again who knows with this staff.

8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I think by now we need an actual worthy thread title don't you guys think?

9. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Oh Brugge off! ? :p

10. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Keep Brugge-ing On: Ethan Horvath at Club Brugge ??

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    You're better than this. Take a lap

12. Placid Casual

Placid Casual Member+

Apr 2, 2004
    Bentley's Roof
    #1637 Placid Casual, Nov 19, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Seems to me that you need him to be good/have someone pressuring Evans etc into playing him so it explains away Friedels failure at Liverpool. *shrug*

Cheers though.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Over 7 years, James had 244 appearances for the Reds. Friedel had 29 in 2.5 years with the club. When Friedel joined in December, it took 2months before he became a starter. He stayed that way until October 1998 when James became the no.1 again. Which he held until late April in which case Friedel became the no.1 again.

Not sure, how important he was during that time for England, but gotta imagine Friedel's arrival and being a starter must have def hurt his chances of making the '98 WC squad.

14. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Late goal but still a wonderful game from Horvath today. Seems more than ready for a high-pressure starting gig. Could be the next David James.

15. futbal nut

futbal nut Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2018
  16. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean like Steffen, who it worked for, and is now the #1 keeper for the national team? There is more than one way to skin a cat. It's all situational as to whether you should move back or stay. At a point you're not tough to stay in Europe, just dumb. Not even like he's in a much better league. He'll have more flexibility to move up if he stays in good form, but I doubt anything is stopping Steffen either.

For some people they can solely think about decisions on a less MLS/more MLS continuum, like the Fear/Love teacher in Donnie Darko. The choice isn't that simple. There are more variables at play. It was the right choice for Horvath because he was young for a keeper, it wasn't long since they acquired him, he had the talent, and the task wasn't daunting. So for him it made sense to stick it out for a while longer with Brugge.

17. randomnoise

randomnoise Member

United States
    Mar 26, 2017
    How about:

"Brugge'd but not Broken - Ethan Horvath in Belgium"?

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I like it :cool:

can someone make something clever or punny out of the following

Ken: Coming up?

Ray: What's up there?

Ken: The view.

Ray: The view of what? The view of down here? I can see that down here.

Ken: Ray, you are about the worst tourist in the whole world.

Ray: Ken, I grew up in Dublin. I love Dublin. If I grew up on a farm, and was retarded, Bruges might impress me but I didn't, so it doesn't.

The Potter repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    No.

20. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Aside from the crazy-glued-to-line moment, Horvath upped his stock quite nicely today. If you're gonna be money in one game in two years, do it in the country where you're playing your pro-ball. Good outing for him. The rest of the team... meh.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Wallooning in the Flem: Horvath in Bruges
    In Flander's field a career may not be dead yet: Horvath in Bruges
    Not yet buried in Flander's Field: Horvath in the low-country

You are welcome,

Love,

freisland

22. futbal nut

futbal nut Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2018
    Horvath has played more significant matches (Champions League & Europa League plus won 2 league titles in Belgium and Norway) then Steffen has.
    If you compare the two Ethan’s mental toughness and leadership will prevail over Steffen as they are both Strong keepers.

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Based on what?

Grumpy in LA repped this.
  24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Where my Belgie at?

does @isengrim or one of the other locals on the board have any Brugges-centric reaction? Did Horvath get any notice?

25. futbal nut

futbal nut Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2018
    Based on his experience and body of work to date In their careers....please show me what Steffen has won so far other than individual awards. Yes he was part of a MLS final game but he did not deliver the win.