Promotional hat-trick! Ethan Horvath at Cardiff City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 23, 2012.

1. failure

failure Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    Testudo, Tom Collingsworth and Hararea repped this.
  2. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    http://www.tv2.no/v/943318/

In case the video won't show, Linde was sent off for tackling a forward who had snuck up behind him and stolen the ball away. Big opportunity for Horvath to reclaim the starting job.

Testudo repped this.
  3. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

4. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    The other goalie was suspended for this game though. I really think Horvath's been benched. I've tried to think of reasons, but nothing other than possible disciplinary reasons makes any sense.

He was good enough for them not to bring in a experienced goalie once their starter left. He was important enough to hold back from the U-20 WC at a time that he was the back up. If there isn't much of a difference between him and the other back up, why couldn't he be at the U-20 WC?

I don't think any of us watch the league games, but he's given up a total of 7 goals in 9 career games in Norwegian League and Cup games. Thats pretty good. Maybe he's making tons of errors in those games, and we don't know. If that was the case though, why was he not benched for the UCL games? He was benched after the UCL games. In the first UCL game, he didn't stand out, bad or good. In the second game, he kept them in the game while they were trying to equalize. It easily could've been five or six for Zagreb, but he made tons of great saves and none of the goals given up were from errors he made. It was a really good performance.

5. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you think Horvath's been benched? It was 1 game. Unless that tweet I can't read is saying something relevant

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  6. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Two games, a league game and a cup game. Today he started, but the other goalie was suspended due to a red card in the last league match.

7. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we will know the answer on Thursday in the Europa League game.

8. failure

failure Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    Not trying to be rude, but you're way overreacting. Linde is 22, Horvath is 20. Horvath started CL games, Linde the league and cup games. Which do you think get's more heavily scouted?

The CL and now EL is the priority for a team with Molde's spending ability (especially considering their form in the League). They have to know that Horvath's showings are going to get him noticed. So why not make sure he's fresh and playing at his best in Europe and improve his market value immensely?

They've got two (and used to have three) young GK's and it's smart to develop them both rather than focus on one and European competitions allow them to do that. Safe to say the money they make from selling players, CL qualifiers, and EL group play far outweighs winning the domestic league or cup, suggesting Horvath is getting the greater responsibility.

Tom Collingsworth repped this.
  9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    You are assuming he's going to start the Europa League qualifiers coming up this week. I don't think thats a given.

10. failure

failure Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    I'll wager there's a worse chance of Molde getting past Standard than Horvath being benched for them. But you keep on flying that pessimistic flag.

11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I hope you are right.

12. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
  13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm happy I was wrong.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  14. failure

failure Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
  15. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a great win for Molde. Two goal advantage and no away goal conceded.

failure repped this.
  16. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Anyone watch the game?

17. bballshawn

bballshawn Member+

Feb 5, 2014
    Delaware
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    GK's need rest?

bsky22 repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    GK's don't need that much rest. I think they are rotating the keepers. I don't think thats Horvath's fault though.

19. Sevens7ar

Sevens7ar Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    I believe you're right; the GK spot is up for grabs. Nyland, one of the top five GKs in the league, was an obvious number one. Both Horvath and Linde are young prospects, neither has yet proven or established himself as a starter for a team with Molde's ambitions. From what I have seen of the two, I wouldn't be surprised if Molde sign a new GK before next season. Someone who is a top five GK in the league and a clear #1 - ie a replacement for Nyland.

Molde wants to be a contender for the championship every year. With their disappointing season I wouldn't be surprised if they feel they can't afford to take any chances with uncertainty in potentially weak spots going into next season. Substantial roster changes can possibly be expected, especially if they manage to land a coach in whom their sugar daddy has faith.

20. failure

failure Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    I do agree that they're working on the development of both of their young keepers, but it does say something that Horvath is getting all of their European games, given that is their best chance of a large windfall this season.

This makes me wonder why they haven't solved this problem already to ensure a long EL run. That's a decent amount of money they're entrusting to a young GK, considering it'll be an impressive 11 game league run to have a similar chance next year.

21. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do they really make that much money off an EL run?

22. failure

failure Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Club:
    DC United
    I don't know Tippeligaen prize money, but 1.3M base from the EL group stage seems pretty swell:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Europa_League#Prize_money

Admittedly, that doesn't compare to the 12M base for the CL group stages.

23. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just wonder how that compares to travel costs, especially if you end up having to go to some far-flung locales.

24. Tom Collingsworth

Jun 14, 2011
    North Carolina
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #124 Tom Collingsworth, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015
    I would. In fact, I'd be somewhat shocked. Regardless of transfer amount, one of the reasons Molde felt comfortable selling Nyland is because they were quite high on Horvath as a replacement. Have you watched any of the Europa League games Horvath has started? He's been very good, especially when you factor in that he is only 20 years old and that this is his first season as a starting GK. I don't think there's a GK competition at Molde, Horvath appears to be the #1, or at least it seems so to me. I think Molde are just using their fixture congestion as an opportunity to give another young GK prospect (Linde) games too.

By this time next summer I expect Horvath to be in the conversation of top 5 keepers in Norway. If not top 5, then at least in the discussion. So IMO Molde's transfers funds could be put to better use elsewhere, and I'm speculating that the club see it that way too. We'll find out for sure this winter, but like I said I just don't see Molde picking up a veteran GK who would fill a role as a top 5 GK in the league now, when they already have a GK on their books who probably isn't far away from meeting the club's expectations at the position himself (not to mention the nice transfer fee he'll generate for Molde down the road, but he'll need to play to do so).

In Horvath we're talking about a player whose ceiling is that of a regular callup for a top 30 national team program, a national team program whose best exports have always been GK's. So unless Molde is uncomfortable with the thought of Linde being their starting GK next summer (Horvath is likely away with the US if they qualify for the Olympics) I don't see the club spending any money on another GK this winter.

LouisianaViking07/09 and bballshawn repped this.
  25. Sevens7ar

Sevens7ar Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Club:
    Stabaek IF
    Maybe, but from what I have seen Horvath has quite a lot of improving to do to be in the top five. You have probably seen more of him than I have though so take my impression with a pinch of salt.

Still, the Molde supporters I have talked with don't seem very confident about their GK situation either. Quite a few of them mention "a proper GK" as one of the things they wish for for next season, and they're already daydreaming about buying Nyland back.

I don't think Horvath is their biggest worry though; Linde looked rubbish both in the cup against Viking and in the league against Odd. I'd be very surprised if Molde sees the pair of them as a strong enough combination. And if they don't, I assume they will go for an obvious starter to replace one of them (presumably Linde) rather than yet another prospect.