Promotional hat-trick! Ethan Horvath at Cardiff City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    is it me or does the Brugge coach seem like a perfectionist when it comes to keepers? He seems dissatisfied with everyone lol. No confidence in anyone.

"Welp he conceded a goal making an error, call in the next keeper to take his place.":p

2. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Sint-Truiden, the manager's club last season, used 3 goalkeepers. One played 24 games, one played 15, and one played 5. Those numbers would be sort of normal if a team was competing continentally, but they were not.

So...yeah, he seems a bit flighty with his goalkeeper choices.

3. isengrim

isengrim Member

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Sep 17, 2017
    I think last year the stvv keeper got a transfer mid season.

I don't understand why Hubert got the nod yesterday, in my opinion Ethan would have saved the shot that went in.

I don't know what Ethans options are, but according to todays paper there are a few interested teams.

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    You're right, but that goalkeeper (Dutoit) was benched for the last 7 games that he was at the club, starting in mid-November.

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    so Horvath is back to being no.2? So he might have a shot at regaining the no.1 spot if he's ready to fight for it

6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horvath and Jozy are your favorite guys right?

7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I just be looking out for a Yank.

I'm a Wood over Jozy guy

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Horvath needs all of our support.

9. isengrim

isengrim Member

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Sep 17, 2017
    I expect Horvath to go on a loan. The new Russian guy will get the starting spot. And because of Huberts stellar performances we'll probably loan someone to keep the bench warm. I don't think anybody wants to see Hubert anywhere near our goal in the play offs.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So may I ask, why is Hubert still in the squad? Wasn't he signed in 2016? So do you see him improving enough to eventually be a no.1?

11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Amen to that. Considering he's one of 2 Yank keepers we have abroad, it makes him more intriguing to monitor. Hope he regains his excellence. Adversity is good for him.

He's still only 22 and been a pro for 3years I believe. Far ahead of Keller or Friedel at that age in their careers. I don't believe Belgium will be his ceiling, but even if it is; he will provide plenty of solid competition for the others.

The Irish Rover and Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  12. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I would disagree with that. He has been pro longer but his talent is far less. And talent is what counts most.

13. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I mean career wise. I didn't see them playing, but from judging via wikipedia, he at 22 was starting for the top team in Belgium whereas those 2 were only on the NT

14. Gorando

Gorando Member

Anderlecht
    Belgium
    Mar 12, 2008
    Belgium
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Club Brugge signed another GK: Kenneth Vermeer from Feyenoord. Horvath can leave the team now.

15. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'd be less concerned about Horvath if he had passed the eye test.

largegarlic and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  16. mattjo

mattjo Member+

Feb 3, 2001
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keller was playing for Millwall at 22 and was named player of the year for the team when they were in the Championship equivalent. Nottingham Forest, which was in the Premier League, tried to sign Friedel at age 22 but he was denied a work permit and so signed with the USSF, which was common practice at the time because of the approaching World Cup and because it was very difficult to qualify to play in Europe. That is not an apples to apples comparison.

17. TheFalseNine

TheFalseNine Moderator
    Staff Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Jul 15, 2014
    Norman, Okla.
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

18. isengrim

isengrim Member

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Sep 17, 2017
    signed this summer as no2. I don't see him as a future starter. His distribution is probably main reason why he started, but his shot stopping abilities are well below par. I expect him to leave after this season.
    With the loan of Vermeer that was announced today there is room for a long loan stint for Horvath. I hope it will be without buying option. I want to see him return with renewed confidence and added experience.

19. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I saw Keller and Friedel play a gazillion games for club and country and I never saw them look like a deer in the headlights like Ethan did for the USA. Even at the beginning of their careers, they were just damn good.

LouisianaViking07/09 and mattjo repped this.
  20. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    That's my issue too. I've only seen him play maybe a half-dozen games, but in all of those games, he was either very shaky or didn't have anything to do. Now, I've seen the highlights from his glory days with Molde, so there must be some talent there, but I just haven't seen it with my own eyes in actual full-length games.

21. VBCity72

VBCity72 Member+

Aug 17, 2014
    Sunny San Diego
    Club:
    Plymouth Argyle FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's probably Freidels Revolution.

22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I don't know about a deer in the headlights. More like Dracula IMO. I mean, they both hate crosses :p

Painfully bad joke I know, but not as painful as Ethan's mistakes have been for the coach, club and fans.

chrome_vapors, Suyuntuy and largegarlic repped this.
  23. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It's you I'm afraid. Too many of Horvath's goal-conceding errors have been on the "WTF. Am I on drugs or is he?" level, rather than the errors of judgement that a developing 'keeper will make. Anything resembling a high, deep cross generates near-panic levels of fear, and fear in a GK is a highly contagious disease.

If these are the mistakes he makes against the "just happy to be at this level" teams in the bottom half of the Jupiler League, imagine what he'll do in the Championship playoffs or in European competition, which is what Brugge are already building for. If they qualify for the CL group stages, that's worth $20 million-plus next season, plus the money from selling their bright prospects 12 months later because that CL money let Brugge sweeten existing deals.

His reflex saves are genuinely impressive, but the other aspects of his game - the ones that don't make the highlight reels - like one-dimensional distribution, slow transitions, no footwork worth talking about, etc. make him unable to perform the sweeper-keeper role the modern game requires. A player who's too unreliable, makes the defence nervous,and has too much meh in the rest of his game will make coaches and sporting directors start looking for replacements.

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    As for the coach being too demanding well, coaches are demanding, and when your're at a club like Brugge you have to expect the coaches to be even more demanding. Otherwise, stay in Norway or come home - to the USL.

More to the point, with Anderlecht in chaos and Liege still rebuilding,Brugge are going to finish first in the regular season, so doesn't the pressure have to come from the coach?

isengrim and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  25. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I sure hope not. Must be several clubs in Belgium where he can redeem himself