Promotional hat-trick! Ethan Horvath at Cardiff City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 23, 2012.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    how big are Brugge in terms of football in Belgium? Are they liked the United or Barca of Belgium? do they have massive fan support?

2. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Yup the only goal against (2 min into 2nd half)

3. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    Historically Standard Liege was the big boy, then Anderlecht were probably the next 'top team' . Club Brugge are the team that currently are challenging - IMHO

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's not true. Anderlecht have finished in the top two 55 times, Brugge 36 times, Standard 22 times.

Anderlecht have 34 titles to Standard's 10. Standard has only won the title twice since the early 80s - during Onyewu's last two seasons at the club. Anderlecht have won 17 titles during that period.

5. DC_Dave

DC_Dave Member+

DC United
    United States
    May 16, 2017
    No argument here....during the 60's if you asked anyone who the top teams in Europe were Standard would have been one of them, the euro hierarchy has not changed that much, but certainly Anderlecht overtook Standard

6. isengrim

isengrim Member

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Sep 17, 2017
    #1106 isengrim, Jan 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
    Anderlecht is, since the seventies, the most succesfull club in Belgium. Bruges rose in the seventies under Ernst Happel to a european powerhouse, played the final of ECII and ECI in the late seventies, lost both to Liverpool. We had other great years in the late eighties, begin and end nineties, and early 2000. After that came eight long years without silverware and eleven without a title win. Now we are back on track.

In case of fan support: The three clubs traditionally recruit fans from all over the country, but Standard and Bruges are more focussed on their French and Dutch speaking part. Since the start of the millennium Bruges has overtaken the rest in attendance numbers, but I presume the fan base for these three clubs is quite comparable.

Anderlecht is the biggest team when it comes to silverware, Bruges second. I think Bruges has the biggest fan base

Anderlecht has a more posh style, Brugge and Standard position themselves more as working class. Atmosphere at Standard has a southern accent, a bit like French and Spanish teams. Bruges tends to the English support style. Anderlecht has a movie theater fan base.

this is a video of our title match against anderlecht, it gives an example of how the atmosphere at our ground can be. Not that its like that every week

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'd say Anderlicht has traditionally been considered the "big" Belgian club - at least by those in other low countries. Standard, Brugge etc jocky for 2nd.

8. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Horvath let in the goal, but he was distracted by burning politicians.

9. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    ????

10. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Groningen. Islamic migrants are burning Dutch politicians in the "no go" zones of East Frysk farm country...

The Irish Rover and Winoman repped this.
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    aha I get you. I thought that was only happening in Sweden or Birmingham, UK :cautious:

adi21 and Winoman repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    To more fully explain, Peter Hoekstra, the idiot that is now our Ambassador to the Netherlands was born in Groningen (which is where Horvath's game was being played.) He moved to the US as a kid, and two years ago claimed that Islamic migrants were burning Dutch politicians and that there were "no go" zones in the Netherlands (when, in reality, Rotterdam is the only no-go zone in the Netherlands, for reasons having nothing to do with Islam and everything to do with Rotterdammers... and maybe parts of Eindhoven too... but I digress.)

So, this clown Hoekstra was appointed US Ambassador to the Neitherlands and when he arrived, they, of course, being Dutch and fairly forthright, asked where the burning politicians were, (maybe they felt they should extinguish any fire.) Anyway, you can duckduckgo Hoekstra Netherlands burning politician to learn more. It's pretty funny. And seeing as Horvath was in Groningen, I figured he might have been distracted by the flames of a local Alderman.

13. freisland and Winoman repped this.
  14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Now, if they could only get around to burning Hoekstra himself . . .

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    That's the pagans. Probably my father-in-law
    Oh, he's been burned... (I sent him a case of agnijith...)

16. isengrim

isengrim Member

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Sep 17, 2017
    I really don't want to spoil the fun but the game was played at the training camp in Spain.
    That Hoekstra guy is very funny though. I envy Holland, we love surrealism in Belgium.

freisland and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  17. :D Waiting for your portrait of him with the text: "This isnot an embassador":ROFLMAO:

Tweet from the WHnvt: "They're burning Xmas trees in the Netherlands. It's true. I saw it in Big Soccer. Adorable Xmas trees. Horrible but true. It's a nogo area for Xmas trees."

18. Did he forget your Xmas burning initiation? Dancing naked around those burning trees in the snow..sorry...being nostalgic about the days we had ElfStedentochten and real snow. Nowadays it's more likely to be in the rain.

The Irish Rover and freisland repped this.
  19. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Spain is the Est Frysk of the Iberian Penninsula!

20. isengrim

isengrim Member

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Sep 17, 2017
    Today's papers mention Ethan as pushing for a (loan) move. Bruges would sign another keeper on loan to replace Ethan.
    Teunckens left for Antwerp.

freisland repped this.
  21. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    "He's not an ambassador. He's an embarassador!!"

(Really bad pun I know :thumbsdown:)

22. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    what's his choices? despite his mistakes and being dropped, any clubs interested in him?

23. Ger90

Ger90 Member+

May 13, 2016
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    not sure what this thread is about anymore......but he made the bench in the Cup game.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    So he's an option again.

I have a feeling surely he can beat out the other Belgian on the squad and the aging Russian GK. I kinda hope he remains.

25. HS Teacher

HS Teacher Member

Jan 3, 2018
    Spain
    Does not look like he will be staying. Articles from Belgium say that Brugge is looking to bring in another goalkeeper to replace Horvath and Hubert (who started today).