Promotional hat-trick! Ethan Horvath at Cardiff City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 23, 2012.

1. isengrim

isengrim Member

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Sep 17, 2017
    match winner yesterday with some big saves. Could have done a little bit better on the goal, but that was in large parts due to defensive shambles (again).

his two biggest saves came in one minute of play: http://m.video.sporza.be/cm/sporza.mobile.video/1.3073054
    Don't know if this is ip protected media content.

Next up is Gent. Local derby. One of the most anticipated home games of the season, and they are not performing up to standards at all at the moment.

2. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    #877 The Irish Rover, Sep 25, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
    That's an understatement. Gent are third-from-bottom, with one win and three draws from the first eight games. Their big problem seems to be not scoring - maybe they're badly missing Kenny Seif.

Totally unacceptable for the fans of one of Belgium's Big 5, so expect them to raise their game and start scoring for this one ;)

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  3. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    anyone know of a site that grades/reviews performances of the goalkeepers over there?

always seem to be difficult to find sites for smaller leagues that show anything other than top goalscorers. Sometimes they show assists, but that might be it.

4. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    As you say, it's doubtful for categories other than top goalscorers. It's even more unlikely that the sites will be in English, so you'd better get used to Google Translate mangling either French or Dutch.

Based on what's come via @freisland and @feyenoordsoccerfan, I'd recommend trying French first; Dutch is often barely understandable when it comes out of Google Translate, but French is, well, comme ci, comme ca:p

5. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    thanks.

the problem is finding the websites themselves which is kinda a hassle :(

6. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think sporza.be has ratings. At least they have match reports.

7. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Another 90 minutes to go with a 2-1 win vs Gent

Soccerway says he faced 4 shots on goal, with 3 saves.

After 9 games they are 1st on 24 points.

9. justinpaul10

justinpaul10 Member+

Sep 2, 2013
    It seems like he is going positive things but damn this league is hard to follow here.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I concur.

Lack of European competition gets the club to focus entirely on the league. It helps a lot.

11. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Welcome to the boards, @isengrim ! Thank you for your thoughtful post. I look forward to reading more of your impressions of Horvath as the season progresses. :)

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    http://www.voetbalnieuws.be/news/258470/Horvath_slaat_mea_culpa:_Ik_ben_geen_De_Gea_of_Buffon

Club Brugge picked up the three points against AA Gent, although it did not work without effort. Initially, little seemed to happen until Ethan Horvath went wrong and Ghent offered the equalizer. The goalkeeper apologized after the match. "By the initial flight of the ball, I thought I could go out boxing, but that was a very stupid decision from me, and I'm also slipping out. But I do not want to apologize. I just did not have to get out" He added to The Last News .

"Tuesday, I will be analyzing my match with Jan (keeper trainer Jan Van Steenberghe). Look, I'm not David De Gea of 26, nor Gianluigi Buffon of 39. I'm Ethan Horvath, 22, and at the moment In my career, I'm still discovering what my specific qualities are. I work hard and find myself getting better and better. But admitted, today was not my best day. "

13. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    I literally never heard anything like that. May be he has too much hair but he does seem crazy with the best of them.

14. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Should Conor McGregor be getting nervous??? :p

15. bshredder

bshredder BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 23, 1999
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yikes Ethan

HartwickFan, schrutebuck and sXeWesley repped this.
  16. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure that's a mistranslation of "punching."

18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    He has the potential. 3 years at the club and hopefully he could find himself in a Bundesliga or La Liga. With some NT caps (I figure Howard and Guzan are not around by 2019/20), this should be easy for him.

19. isengrim

isengrim Member

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Sep 17, 2017
    You can find highlights and some full matches on this website: http://www.fcbtube.be/seizoenen-2010-2019/2017-2018/jpl/

Most of the time there's a recap posted on the clubs social media channels the day after the match too..

Papers and sports magazines issue ratings but I don't think you can find them online. If I look at those ratings I often wonder if I've seen the same match so I wouldn't put too much effort in finding those :)

www.sport.be should be the official website of the jupiler pro league.
    Other sports/football related websites:
    http://sporza.be/cm/sporza/voetbal
    https://www.hln.be/sport/voetbal
    http://www.nieuwsblad.be/sportwereld
    https://www.vier.be/sports-late-night highlights of all matches

Ethan again made an error in judging a deep cross. I hope they are working on that part of his play, because teams will start exploiting this. It is difficult to train, but what he does now: advancing and then retreating will always leave him with no chance (even if he doesn't slip). Or you go for it an throw yourself in, or you stay on your line. At the moment he overthinks the situation too much.

Ethan mentioned in last weeks papers to be disappointed not to be called up for the US national team.

20. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Until he sorts out his handling of deep crosses and, more importantly, his tendency to over-think situations, I think he should be relieved.

Panama are no world-beaters, but a lot of their squad plays in MLS and will have heard/read/noted that weakness. If he gives up a goal on one of those crosses, he'd need enormous mental strength to handle that kind of humiliation, and the constantly being reminded of it and the consequences for the MNT.

I think he could be a top-level GK, but right now he's got a lot of work to do in terms of his ability to make decisions and stick to them, his ball distribution, and marshaling of his defence. Now is too early for him.

Lookingforleftbacks repped this.
  21. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ethan didn't make these silly mistakes in Norway. So, I'm guessing the pressure is getting to him a bit as a young keeper.

22. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The jump in standard has been really significant. The Belgian league is ranked 8th by UEFA while Norway's is 27th. And the points difference is even greater: Belgium has 37 coefficient points (only 5 behind Portugal's Liga Sagres and ahead of the Eredivisie) while Norway has a puny 17 points.

Money talks, and in financial terms, Norway's top sides would struggle in the Jupiler League, while Belgium's top three D2 sides (Cercle Brugge, Leuven, Roselare) would challenge for the Europa League places in Norway. If anything, the financial gap is understated by the prevalence of third-party-ownership players from all over the place connected to the likes of Pini Zahavi.

The bottom line is that Ethan is playing in a pretty serious league right now.

23. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    And pressure is good. He has to test himself here before he can hope to climb higher. He'll be okay. Needs to lose his hair though if he really wants to excel and get to the PL.

handballer repped this.
  24. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010