Promotional hat-trick! Ethan Horvath at Cardiff City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 23, 2012.

1. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    a great question that I'd like to know as well.

Jazzy Altidore repped this.
  2. HartwickFan

HartwickFan Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Climax, MI
    Club:
    VfR Wormatia 08 Worms
    Nat'l Team:
    Tuvalu
    Horvath kept a clean sheet on Friday, as Brugge beat Mechelen 2-0. Brugge sits at the top of the table.

3. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Club Brugge sit first with 19 points in 7 games, conceding only five goals in those games. So probably not too different from what people were assuming of Steffen/Cropper at the start of the season. But this is the closest I could find that was relevant...

https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nl/nie...horvath-krijgt-het-volste-vertrouwen-van-leko

Sounds like he's got some leeway with the starting role. I remember fans were very supportive at the end of last season and with CB in first, I can't imagine they'd be too upset with him now, even with errors in his play this early on.

sakibomb523, Winoman, TxEx and 2 others repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Glad to hear it. He's still only 22 and coming from the Norwegian league. Glad he's not to be hung out to dry over a few mistakes.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  5. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fun quote about Klinsmann [google translated]:

"All respect for Jürgen Klinsmann that he gave me that chance. Too bad for me he has replaced and his successor Bruce Arena has more confidence in MLS players and older boys because he knows them better. Arena can not blame you, that's his philosophy. But I'm confident if we put myself in the World Cup."

UxSxAxfooty, sakibomb523, bsky22 and 2 others repped this.
  6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    That struck me as well

7. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    He might be right, but that's not smart.

8. BostonRed

BostonRed Member+

Oct 9, 2011
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ethan Horvath is missing due to illness. #RoeClu

Winoman repped this.
  9. isengrim

isengrim Member

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Sep 17, 2017
    hi guys,

Bruges fan passing by
    came here looking for some info on how Ethan is being rated in his home country.

At the moment reception of Ethans performances is rather mixed. He has shown glimpses of quality with some great saves, but there's also some critisism because

10. isengrim

isengrim Member

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Sep 17, 2017
    Ok. writing long posts on a cell phone is not really a good idea... tried editing previous post and got a time limit error. Going to rewrite it in a couple of hours, not on my phone :)

11. isengrim

isengrim Member

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Sep 17, 2017

He has shown glimpses of quality with some great saves, but there's also some criticism because slow/bad distribution and lack of commanding in his area on deep crosses.

The teams "performances" in the European competitions haven't helped his cause too. Not that being kicked out of Europe in the summer was down to him, but he didn't really stand out in matches were the opposition created far more chances than were used to against us and on some of the goals we took he could have done more.

We just weren't ready for this level of matches this early in the season due to having a new coach, playing in a new system and having several of our players with their minds on a possible transfer. Competing at the European level is something the club is expected to do though, at least until December, so these results will put a strain on the appreciation of the teams performances for the coming months. The level of defending at the start of the season is for a large part down to this new system and new players being put in the team, I hope this won't last :) So for Ethan things should be easier too.

Overall, for me, Ethan has some promising features: his height, reflexes, positioning seem to be at the level they should be for a goalkeeper in a top team in our league. He has some work on his distribution, commanding of his area and communication with his defence.

I suspect our board and coach see him as our no1 for the coming season and beyond, but of course his performances will be subject to evaluation in December, unless he really starts flapping around in coming weeks.

If he continues to develop he should be our no1 goalkeeper for the coming two to three years. Then, considering his age and physical attributes, some bigger league clubs will come after him.

High level players that played at Bruges and got sold to bigger teams in recent years: Ivan Perisic -> Dortmund, Nabil Dirar -> Monaco, Carlos Bacca -> Sevilla, Maty Ryan -> Valencia, Thomas Meunier -> PSG, Jose Izquierdo -> Brighton. I suppose this is what Ethan is aiming for too. If he makes that list is up to him :)

12. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Baby boy on TV at noon. Eleven sports.

13. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    How'd it go?

14. kba4life1

kba4life1 Member+

Jul 14, 2010
    Irvine, CA
    Brugge won 2-1. They're 4 points clear in 1st

15. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Reasonably well, in a 2-1 top-of-the-table victory (Charleroi were only point behind at kick-off).

This the third time I've sseen him over 90' and the good news is that he continues to show very good reflexes, making two crucial reaction saves at close range late on as Charleroi the game hung in the balance and he's always very alert to what's going on around him.

Not so good is that his distribution tends to be a bit one-dimensional; a long, fairly accurate kick that usually finds a forward or attacking midfielder who can duel for a header about 5-10 metres inside the other half. It's not bad, but it is predictable.

The bad is that he continues to show weakness/irresolution/lack of command under high crosses. He flapped at one cross while under pressure in the first half, and he could be criticized for Charleroi's equalizer. Brugge's defence was sucked over to the left, leaving acres of space down the right and Charleroi duly hung up a high, curling ball that came down on the six-yard box line. Ethan came for the ball, then changed his mind and got caught in no-man's-land as the unmarked CAM got a free header.

It would be a bit much to blame him for the goal; the defence was sucked over to one side and then lost their men as the cross came in, and even if he had kept coming for the ball there's no guarantee he would have caught it. But he doesn't yet project the "you can relax, I've got it covered" confidence that's the foundation of a top-level GK. He's young, esp for a 'keeper at this level, so he should get better, but football is an unforgiving game.

16. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    How many keepers were 20/21/22 starting for a top club in a top league (albeit #10)?

I can only think of the likes of Courtois or Casillas.

17. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    How could you forget Donnarumma and his highly publicized age

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  18. ckajMonet

ckajMonet Member

Spurs
    United States
    Jun 8, 2017
    De Gea and Oblak both were starting for atletico at a young age

19. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I kinda avoid Serie A. But you're def right.

The Irish Rover and Midas Mulligan repped this.
  20. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Ederson last year at Benfica as well

21. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009

Suyuntuy, freisland, eliwood and 2 others repped this.
  22. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Others covered this, thankfully.

I only watched about 20 minutes and got sucked into other things related to my fantasy sports habits, so I can’t add anything.

23. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Dude, when'd you go to google school?!

Why does everything have to change all the time?? I'm too old for change.

Nice write up on Horvath, though!

24. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Then may I recommend this treatment?

It doesn't do much to solve the problem of being a grumpy old coot, but it certainly makes it more enjoyable. :D

And yes, I am speaking from experience :(

[​IMG]

Midas Mulligan, Winoman and freisland repped this.