Promotional hat-trick! Ethan Horvath at Cardiff City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 23, 2012.

1. TMBMiles

TMBMiles Member

Dortmund
    United States
    Mar 31, 2017
    Especially when 2 of those 3 games were against 2 of the top 3 teams in the league.

BostonRed, TxEx and ChuckMe92 repped this.
  2. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any reviews on his play?

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  4. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Real soft spoken gee golly type of guy

5. soccersubjectively

soccersubjectively BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah they seem to be ranging from taking over the USMNT gk spot to not starting for Brugge yet.

It should be noted that actual Brugge fans have been very supportive and are (for the most part) ready for him to take over.

6. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I'm still amazed that he's only 21. Crazy to compare where he currently is (starting for 1 of the best clubs in a solid mid-tier league) to a Keller/Friedel/Howard at age 21.

ChuckMe92 and HartwickFan repped this.
  7. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 11.05.43 PM.png

For comparison, because I was curious myself.

superdave, TheFalseNine, bsky22 and 4 others repped this.
  8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep good company.

ChuckMe92 and LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  9. bsky22

bsky22 Member+

Dec 8, 2003
    Meola was also a WC veteran.

soccersubjectively repped this.
  10. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    soccersubjectively repped this.
  12. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Pound for Pound the greatest goalkeeper in US history...

I kid! I kid! He was big boned...

It's kind of a drag that 98 is the last image most fans have of Meola, he was never going to be American's greatest, but he was pretty decent at times.

13. Balerion

Balerion Member+

Aug 5, 2006
    Roslindale, MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sels is 25 and was sold by Gent for €6.6m last summer. He began the year as Newcastle's starter, but then lost the job to Darlow and eventually slipped to 3rd in the depth chart when Elliot came back from injury.

Sels' contract runs through 2021. Since he was signed for a reasonably large fee by a club like Newcastle, I'd imagine his wages could be out of the range of what a club like Brugge could pay. But I'm just guessing.

I'd rather see them bring in another older veteran type like Butelle. A young, prime age GK who 12 months ago was sold for 6.5x more than Horvath's fee is more of a threat to Horvath's PT. Of course, beating out the competition is the way the game works.

14. DeAndresHaircut

DeAndresHaircut Member+

Jul 24, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sels was awful for Newcastle

ChuckMe92 repped this.
  15. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Called up to the USMNT WCQ camp roster.

16. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
  18. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    ?

19. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Referring to Robles spending July 2009 with the USMNT at the Gold Cup instead of preseason with Kaiserslautern, likely in part why he eventually lost his starting job.

20. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Damn. Especially considering it was filled with B squad members. Did Robles ever discuss this?

21. Midas Mulligan

Midas Mulligan Member+

Jul 24, 2013
    NYC
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean, Robles is a decent to good MLS keeper. So I suspect he was losing that job at some point anyway.

Horvath is several classes of player above Robles.

22. ChuckMe92

ChuckMe92 Member+

Jun 23, 2016
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's fair. Not being with the team exacerbated the situation, but he'd likely have lost the job at some point anyway.

Midas Mulligan repped this.
  23. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    As to FCK Robles v. Club Brugge Horvath - and your "several classes above" comment - you never even watched Robles play in Germany once :rolleyes:. You have no idea. FCK is a big club in Germany. Probably a bigger club than Brugge.

Robles had a lot of promise at the time (obviously) but things didn't work out and eventually he ended up back in MLS. No reason to say that exact same thing couldn't happen to Horvath in 2017. Especially if Brugges adds someone like Selz. So it's a good thing he won't be with the GC team.

Who knows where Horvath ends up and I hope he has a great career but this ignorant shot at Robles and what happened to him is so typical of a place like this. Build up the great prospect (Horvath) and dump on the older MLS player (Robles). Robles was an exciting prospect but circumstances like the summer of 09 can have a big impact on a career.

24. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    I would agree with this. But Robles would have had the option of turning the call-up down right?

25. soccersubjectively

Jan 17, 2012
    Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Club Elo says Brugge has a 1646 rating right now and FCK was ~1580 after earning promotion in 2010 fwiw. (And no, I did not go back and watch film on FCK from the turn of the decade.)

I agree that "several classes" isn't accurate when comparing the two goalkeepers but I wouldn't agree that Robles had "a lot of promise" at the time either. He ended up in Germany because MLS didn't value him. Yes he was drafted, but three draft picks away from not being. Every MLS team essentially passed on him and when he was lowballed on a contract (i.e not valued) he wisely went somewhere else. Was Robles working hard and moving up the ladder in Germany? Definitely. But there's a reason why he never got out of the second division in Germany in the peak of his career. If he was good enough to play in the Bundesliga he would have.

Robles turned 33 this month. His time with the national team is over. So I suppose you can call it dumping a player but it's just the natural progression of a career. Robles was a very good goalkeeper, who is still playing well, but Horvath is clearly on a higher track than where Robles ever was in his career.