Promotional hat-trick! Ethan Horvath at Cardiff City FC

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Dave Marino-Nachison, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Sufjan Guzan

Sufjan Guzan Member+

Feb 13, 2016
    He's definitely not that good.

russ repped this.
  2. isengrim

isengrim Member

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Sep 17, 2017
    Last budget projections I saw showed a 25 million profit for 2019. we'll know for sure in a couple of weeks, but thanks for the concern.
    I'm sure the board and management's purpose lies in denying Ethan to show his capabilities and not in advancing the club as a whole.
    Maybe it's still early days, but I was quite sceptical about Mignolet when the news broke, I have to admit that the board made the right decision for the club.
    Is it fair towards Ethan, no. Has it had its desired outcome, thus far, absolutely.

An Unpaved Road and TimB4Last repped this.
  3. futbal nut

futbal nut Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2018
    I would disagree the reason they brought in Mignolet and a few other new signings was to advance further In Champions League which they will not. Let’s see how Europa League goes I’m not hopeful. As far as the league play goes I have watched most of their games and you or I could have same amount of clean sheets so far most games Mignolet can sit back in goal and catch up on his recent FIFA play station match. He has nothing to do ! Yes they will win the league but not because of Mignolet. They won the league two seasons ago with Horvath in goal. Last season the took second in large part because they started the season with Leticia in goal (crazy Leto coach’s scandal paid under the table signing who got shipped out already) and Horvath came in had a strong season including some great games in Champions League with 3 clean sheets has Mignolet done that no.
    So their investment of $7 million in Mignolet when you look at the facts has not been a good one other than as a PR move and to make the current GM look like he is doing something.

4. futbal nut

futbal nut Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2018
    Next few weeks will tell the tale but it’s not Feyenoord. Problem with Bundesliga right now is the clubs rarely make a change in the keeper role in the winter window. Although their are a few teams mid to bottom that could use a new number one including yes you guessed it Fortuna Düsseldorf lol

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  5. gnk

gnk Member+

Nov 1, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why would Düsseldorf need a new #1?

6. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do you have to do it?

ChicagoVT and TimB4Last repped this.
  7. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    if your no.1 or even no.2 have been stinking it up, a change would be necessary to avoid relegation. Though it's a risk

8. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    And if your #1 GK has frequently been the star performer on a very bad team? Wouldn't it make more sense to upgrade at one or more of the ten field positions?

ChicagoVT repped this.
  9. ArsenalMetro

ArsenalMetro Member+

United States
    Aug 5, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This dude had to have gotten bullied by Zack Steffen in high school. There's no other explanation for it.

10. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Well of course, but I was mentioning in general, not in particular to Dusseldorf like he brought up.

TimB4Last repped this.
  11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    i don't do general - I'm particular.

12. LouisianaViking07/09

Aug 15, 2009
    Or from a future where Zack Steffen causes loses us the WC Final :p

It'd be crazy to see a Yank brought in to directly battle or replace another Yank. Sketchy right

ArsenalMetro repped this.
  13. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #2688 gunnerfan7, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    ?

Fortuna could be looking at next year. As mentioned before, Horvath could be a Bundesliga #2 with an eye towards 2020 Fall #1, when Zack's loan ends.

The comment about a Bundesliga #2 soon becoming a Bundesliga #1 next Fall, began speculation about a Dortmund move. And Fortuna fits that description as well since they'll be looking for a new #1 once Zack goes on loan to (I assume) an EPL team next year.

So no, I don't think that's criticism of Steffen at all.

The Irish Rover repped this.
  14. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    nah - he's a family member or friend of Horvath who's clueless enough to criticize his American competition and think that people won't figure it out.

Sorta like the Sixers/Colangelo's wife or Brian Strauss/@iad_22201

15. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    So is the plan to be such a clumsy, laughable Steffen troll that all of us here inclined to like Horvath start dragging him in his threads?

Cause if that's the plan, keep it up. It just might work.

superdave and ArsenalMetro repped this.
  16. Duncan Edwards i miss u

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  17. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    @futbal nut's extreme fandom of/interest in/defense of Ethan Horvath is totally inexplicable. Like... I don't get it... unless you're a very close personal relation or friend of some kind... wtf..

DHC1 and TimB4Last repped this.
  18. thedukeofsoccer

thedukeofsoccer Member+

Jul 11, 2004
    Wussconsin
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems you do get it. Rather commonplace on these forums really. Some are open about it, others clandestine. But it comes thru eventually anyway. A tip off here should have been the insider info. Which we appreciate, just wish it wouldn't come at a heavy price of trashing our other players to big up their boy.

19. isengrim

isengrim Member

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Sep 17, 2017
    The ambition this year was to get into the champions league from the non champions path, no other Belgian team had succeeded in this before.
    We do know our place, advancing in a group with Real Madrid and PSG is impossible for a club of our size.
    I presume you are a close relative, I won't even start to reply to the rest of your post, it isn't worth my time.
    I hope things work out at another club, just for keeping his head down and fighting back he deserves al the best. He is talented and has some very good qualities, but he still needs a lot of work to become a top class goalkeeper.

TimB4Last repped this.
  20. DHC1

DHC1 Member+

Jun 3, 2002
    NYC
    100% agreed. If s/he had just kept to trashing Mignolet, we’d have pitchfork, tar and feathers ready to assist.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Reminds of the brief and shining posting life of Chaz Kaz' mom or step-mom or something?

Ah, those were the days. When an Erestedivisie defender was unique enough to get a bit of BS traction! How times have changed.

LouisianaViking07/09 and DHC1 repped this.
  22. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Brugge finishing 3rd in their Champs group and getting punked in the Europa right after is pretty much business as usual. They may get lucky this time and get Rangers or FCK, but it's a 12.5% shot (or 13.3% if Gent wins their group).

LouisianaViking07/09 repped this.
  23. futbal nut

futbal nut Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2018
    No it’s the fact that Steffen has yet to prove he is a winner yet everyone has anointed him as the #1 best US keeper when in fact he has yet to prove it.

24. futbal nut

futbal nut Member

Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Oct 12, 2018
    Gives some spice to this forum :)

25. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Whereas Horvath's prodigious Bundesliga career showcases his brilliance...

He may be able to beat Guzan in gum-spitting.

ArsenalMetro repped this.