ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Unfortunately, Verizon FIOS does not carry GolTV.:(

2. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fanatiz have it. Spanish tho but I think they have a trial on hand so you could watch without paying...

3. jcvf90

jcvf90 Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boca Raton, FL
    BTW, ESPN has the Juegos Panamericanos, their football tournament is on it. I saw Honduras-Jamaica yesterday on Deportes. It's likely all the games are available on the online platforms too.

4. Ed Ennui

Ed Ennui Member

Lazio
    United States
    Jul 18, 2006
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Set your alarm for Salford City v. Stevenage on ESPN+ at 6:25 am CDT Saturday morning.

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  5. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Salford will be on ESPN+ twice in a week! They've got better US media exposure than MLS clubs with FloTV deals.

Ed Ennui and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You would have to pay me $5 a month to wake up that early for that kinda match. ;):ROFLMAO:

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  7. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I love that ESPN+ shows the League 1 & 2 Sky matches. Bigger one coming up in September

Sat Sept 17
    7:25 AM
    Sunderland vs. Portsmouth (English League One)
    [​IMG]

Statman, Redbullsnation2012 and BocaFan repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Most interesting thing about the article to me is this:
    "By the time the Bundesliga appears on ESPN+, the service is expected to be bundled with the company’s upcoming Netflix-like Disney+ and the now fully Disney-owned Hulu."

Looks like Disney is trying to slay the dragon called Netflix.
    Makes it a bit more intriguing to me if the price is right.

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  9. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  10. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    What do they mean by "Neflix-like"? Netflix doesn't have any sports.

Are they talking about merging Hulu and espn+ or expanding espn+ (which has been steadily on-going for years already)?

11. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    That’s great news. The entire Bundesliga and Serie A save for the TV matches for 5 dollars a month.
    On top of the other league already there.

The best deal in sports streaming keeps getting better.

For me, the rugby alone is worth 5 dollars a month.
    Or the UFC events.

Still amazed the price of this hasn’t gone up yet. Shocking.

BocaFan repped this.
  12. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    "Netflix-like Disney+"

Disney+ is what's being described as Netflix-like, in that it's a streaming channel of original and portfolio content on-demand for subscribers. That could apply to ESPN+ too, just with live and other sports programs.

If and when this becomes a fully unified "over-the-top" streaming product it'll be a big deal. Think paying $20 per month for access to Monday Night Football, Serie A, NBA, Lion King, Star Wars, Disney Junior shows, etc.

Redbullsnation2012 and BocaFan repped this.
  13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Okay, so basically (Hulu)+(ESPN+)

14. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    (Hulu)+(Disney+)+(ESPN+)

[​IMG]

:)

BocaFan, bselig and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  15. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It would get more expensive, and it would make sports fans like me pay for many things other than sports, which is like the TV model of packages and paying for channels you don't watch. I would hope they would make it fragmented like NBC does for different sports. I use ESPN+ for soccer and college sports. The NBA, UFC, exclusive shows like 30 for 30 and what Kobe Bryant made, and anything other than sports are things I wouldn't pay for a la carte and would be bad for me if they were packaged with what I want. Would the NFL let games be on a pay channel or streaming service? Even if they want to make money from a streaming service, TV channels need things to show. What would be a big deal is if a company that owned multiple channels decided to end one of them and move all the content online.

16. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I think there would be fragmentation but hope that it wouldn't be like NBC who use a really antiquated model of charging a substantial amount of money to super users (for sports that really aren't that niche nowadays - like Premier League football and golf). Just spitballing here but maybe it would be tiered like:

Just ESPN+: $4.99 (but probably moving up a bit to maybe $6.99)
    Hulu (basic) and ESPN+: maybe $12.99
    Three streaming properties: $19.99

Already seeing this streaming network bundling going on in Amazon (I pay for HBO in Prime, makes log in and app management a little simpler). In a way what Disney may emulate is more of a Prime model than Netflix, who's offering is actually very straightforward (just standard HD and Premium).

17. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I will pay for ESPN+ up to a certain price, but, just like with Netflix, if it goes beyond that price, I'll drop it. If they bundle it with the Disney stuff, I'll drop it, too. As much as I love all of the properties that ESPN+ has now, I'll find a way to live without them.

If they were smart, they would keep it fragmented since it's much more profitable that way. Plus, there's no reason to bundle. It's not like you're negotiating with a carrier. You set your price, and people decide if they want to pay for it or not. Making me subscribe to a service I couldn't care less about just to get sports in the exact model for cable, and it ain't working, and people are willing to pay for a la carte.

18. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Keep in mind, in all this theoretical guessing here -- ESPN+ streaming would be all of ESPN's stuff (what's on cable now in addition to what's on + now). This would be new over-the-top option for cord cutters.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I sure hope you're right. $6.99 and I'll keep my subscription without even thinking about it.
    If they go with the NBC model I would end up paying a fortune or just not having access to a lot of stuff as I watch espn+ for multiple soccer competitions and 4 nations rugby too. I'm bracing myself to see how much NBC is gonna rip people off just to watch the Rugby WC this Autumn (only country in the world that would have to pay for that separately, I assume(?)).

20. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    I bet they will give you a bundle discount, i.e. ESPN+, DISNEY+, HULU for $20, but there is no point in making someone who just wants ESPN buy hulu

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Surely the upper-limit in price is whatever Netflix is charging. Otherwise who would buy it? Okay ... sports fanatics, but many of them would just get espn+ alone then.

And Netflix recently increased their prices so probably won't increase again for a while. So what's that, $12.99?

22. drt2k3

drt2k3 Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Wilmington, NC
    Club:
    Wilmington H.
    If ESPN can offer 3 streaming services that are priced between $5 and $15 apiece at a discounted rate if you get 2 or all 3 then you can really market towards being a full family service with sports, kids, and general entertainment covered in 1 purchase. For those who dont need all three parts, they can get the services they need as well

23. QPR Kevin H

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    One funny aspect of the pricing component is that hundreds of millions of Americans have been paying around $5 a month for ESPN(s) for years now. Whether the know it or want it.

24. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They already have the non-bundled pricing announced. Disney plus will be $6.99 per month. Hulu with ads is $5.99 per month, $11.99 without ads. They said that there will “likely” be Disney Plus-Hulu bundles and Disney Plus-Hulu-ESPN bundles at a discounted price. There’s also Hulu live which will also probably be available with some sort of discount.