ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Bit again by ESPN's organization on the app and my own stupidity of not just scrolling down to the bottom under Soccer and finding the game I wanted. Basically, I was looking to watch an EFL playoff on delay but the final is already listed under the EFL tab, which by default spoils the results for the 1/2 final.

beInSchwartz repped this.
  2. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    I got bit by the timer. Have little ones so I have to pause, start, pause, start etc. There has got to be a solution for anything that could go to extra time, overtime, etc. The pirate sites have figured it out. Why not multi billion dollar industries?

I did find a solution to blow up the video player to the full size of the browser rather than having the full screen or tiny player dilemma at work. Plug in for Chrome called Full Screen Video to Window. Wish I had thought of adding something like this sooner.

3. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what I think about long Hide and Seek Sardines videos on YouTube. The length of the videos spoil how long it will take somebody to be found. It would be good if YouTube gave the creators the option of not letting anyone see the length of the video without watching until the end. That could apply to sports available on YouTube as complete games.

4. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Just noticed that ESPN+, as part of their Eredivisie coverage, is carrying that league's 4-team playoff for its last Europa league spot. The playoff got underway yesterday (Saturday) and of course the archived matches are available.

It's not must-see TV but with the EPL, Bundesliga and La Liga already finished, it's still some semi-meaningful soccer to watch.

Redbullsnation2012, corolla and BocaFan repped this.
  5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, it's a good month to have espn+ => tonnes of playoffs and lots of meaningful Serie A matches on the final 2 rounds of the season (unlike the other top UEFA leagues).

6. JayRockers!

JayRockers! Member+

Aug 4, 2001

Thx,

Jay!

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Just a digital platform note:
    WatchESPN is being phased out and the ESPN app will be the only app available to watch streams on as of June 30th.

Not surprising in the least bit but good information to know. I liked having both options to choose from but it is what it is.

8. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't use apps. I get the ESPN channels on TV and pay for ESPN Plus, so I can watch everything ESPN streams regardless of what login it needs.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That is interesting.
    You can watch ESPN tv programming on ESPN+ without tv authentication?

10. socceraction

socceraction Member+

Oct 20, 2000
    No.

You also have espn3 in the mix. Access to espn3 is determined by your internet provider...

SA
    www.soccertvblog.com

HomietheClown repped this.
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  12. Lyrical S.

Lyrical S. Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Morelia, Michoacan
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    But ESPN makes it so simple.. Link your TV Provider.. and everywhere you sign in its there..
    [​IMG]

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    No one is arguing against that.

14. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Anyone have the fire cube? Every so often I go to log in to espn+ I have to redownload the app. It’s getting annoying.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Watching England -Romania Euro U-21.

Had major issues on SingTV. Every few seconds a black screen would come up.

Switched over to the ESPN app on AndroidTV. The picture frames are stuttering and awful.

Switched to the Amazon Fire stick ESPN app and everything is perfect.

Anyone else having issues with other ESPN apps?

16. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I've got France-Croatia on via ESPN's site in browser and it looks good

17. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    My issue is I have the Amazon fire tv cube. Every so many days it makes me redownload the app like I never installed it. Wonder if it’s an Amazon glitch or the app? Anyone else have this issue?

18. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't have any of these particular problems but I've certain had other kinds of streaming problems, including with ESPN, which actually I would rate as one of the best in the business.

Anyway, when I've said in the past year that the whole new digital streaming paradigm is not quite ready for prime time, this is basically what I mean.

There are just so many bugs to work out: Apps that uninstall; Poor video quality like low res, black screen or dropped frames; Inconsistent UI/controls between services; Short-lived archival/replay access (if at all); Disparate billing methods; High aggregate cost of a la carte services; Etc, etc...

Obviously it's the way of the future but man this new industry collectively has a lot of work to do.

bostonsoccermdl repped this.
  19. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    The FireTV Cube has had their own issues recently so I think that has something to do with your experience.

The FireTV Stick I have works well with the ESPN app and I was able to watch both U-21 games today smoothly

InterFan76 repped this.
  20. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Never have an issue with espn while watching it’s when I log out for the night and go back in it makes me install instead of just opening the app. Thanks for your response.

21. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    My point still stands regardless. Opening and closing the app is no big deal for me with the Fire Stick

22. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Bob Ley announced he will retire at the end of the month following a 40 year career at ESPN.
    For me, the most respected voice at the network, probably in all of sports journalism.
    He's always been a big supporter of soccer in the U.S. going back to when he was the network's lead announcer during the '82 World Cup.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    When he took some weird sabbatical I was wondering if it would lead to this.

Very , very odd.

24. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    He is one of the good guys when it comes to soccer. Wish there were more like him.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And 3-4 years before that when he was calling my high school soccer games on NJ's Cablevision. You gotta start somewhere!

QPR Kevin H repped this.