ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    Yeah I thought it was just me. Getting error messages too. Ruined
    My Saturday night. I have a roku and got error messages. Strangely only the Dutch Eredivisie works. Not working this morning either

2. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah the new world of digital streaming. They have so so far to go to make a customer experience that is good and reliable. Hopefully they'll get there.

3. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Replays of matches today are available, but anything prior to today it isn't

Redbullsnation2012 and Mikebsiu repped this.
  4. Mikebsiu

Mikebsiu Member+

Mar 15, 2008
    Club:
    RSC Anderlecht
    So stupid, I use Sunday to catch up on games.

5. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    The replays are back, as of about 8PM Eastern.

6. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yeah, I agree. Though whether the product is transmitted through streaming or cable/sat or both, it would be good to see some more consistency and attention to detail. Just now it took me two sign on attempts to get into NBC Gold programming (wanted to watch PL News). Their web interface is really confusing - always looks like you don't have access to anything.

Over on ESPN this week, the great Serie A highlights show cut off at 35 minutes, missing a few of the matches. WatchESPN and ESPN+ work great for me 98% of the time but there are hiccups. A lot of this is just product QA, the tech is clearly there but they need some human oversight. I would be happy to help either company :D

EvanJ, Redbullsnation2012 and NorthBank repped this.
  7. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I could remain logged in forever, but at least my log ins work the first time. When I sign in through Fios for Fox Sports Go, many times I have to try twice.

It's bad if ESPN or any company looks at themselves as a monopoly of what they provide and therefore not needing to care about customer service. This complaint is true for things like long lines at the DMV.

8. Kryptonite

Kryptonite Fancy Title Here

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Terrible news for non MLS viewers who enjoyed his work on the EFL Championship and Prem matches.

Redbullsnation2012 and Art Deco repped this.
  10. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I'm not sure I understand the point of the hire. Healey does a very good job on MLS matches, and it's not like I've ever heard anyone say "You know what would make this shit sandwich of a game between Orlando and Minnesota better? If Jon Champion were calling it." I just don't see what he's going to bring differently that Healey doesn't already.

11. TJNash

TJNash Member

May 22, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is Ian Darke is edging towards retirement, and now they have a built-in replacement for him.

12. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Definitely. Champion has become my favorite PxP announcer and I hate to see him "wasted" on MLS. Since the article indicates he's moving to the US that kinda quashes my hope that he would still fill in during the brief MLS offseason and freelance on some EFL/EPL.

13. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I think its definitely a waste. I guess the bright side is they’ll likely use him as their top voice for euro 2020 but as far as club season I guess he wont available for prem/championship matches

HomietheClown repped this.
  14. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, that's quite a coup by ESPN/MLS. IMHO he's one of the very best. But I prefer his EPL commentary because he doesn't tend do all that casual yacking with analysts like TT.

I'm actually surprised that someone as good as Champion thinks he wants to spend more time with Twellman in the booth. Enough said.

I agree that he'll be missed as one of the main EPL commentators, but I won't be totally surprised if he pops up in England between December and March to call some games. But I guess that depends on his family's living situation in the USA.

In the end, I think this is a positive move. And I guess that (a) he's looking for a "family adventure abroad", and (b) ESPN made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Best wishes to him and his fam.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup. He will do Euro for sure. Nations League , Maybe Serie A ?

And whatever other properties they will probably try and get the next few years for ESPN plus.

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Did anyone have video problems with ESPN+ this past weekend. Firefox updated to version 64.0 and I cannot watch ESPN+ in full screen mode. It shifts the picture halfway down the screen so that the top half is black and only the upper part of the video shows. Everything works fine in Internet Explorer but not Chrome. I've submitted a ticket to ESPN+ on this but was wondering if anyone else had this problem.

All other streaming sources (YouTube, Netflix, Amazon Prime) work just fine so it has to be an ESPN+ issue.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Internet explorer? Are you still on Windows 7????

18. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I also had that same problem, I think Saturday night, in Chrome. I thought it was something wonky with my Surface, didn't really mind as I just had cricket on in the background. Seemed to rectify Sunday.

19. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My desktop PC is on Win 8.1 and IE works there. My TV computer is on Win7 because I run Microsoft Media Center as my cable box. I know that IE will not work with Win7 and ESPN+ but until Firefox updated everything was OK. I loaded Chrome onto that PC and got the same result as Firefox. I'm trying to find out whether ESPN+ requires Flash to run properly as perhaps that is the problem.

20. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't have any problems with ESPN+ using Chrome yesterday. I haven't used Firefox in a long time.

21. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Did you use Chrome on a PC? Both my Win8.1 and Win7 PCs won't run ESPN+ properly. I get the same problem as with Firefox.

22. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    As a stop gap measure I rolled Firefox back to version 63.4 and it works fine with ESPN+ on my Win7 TV computer (most of my soccer streams are watched on the TV). I've disabled automatic updates and will leave it set at that until either ESPN or Firefox fix the problem. I'm also posting the issue on the Firefox help forum as it was their update that broke things.

23. HDSports

HDSports Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Orange,..had the same problem with Firefox following and update, and Chrome worked the same way. (I have called ESPN twice to report this problem). The strange thing is that despite the video playing only on the bottom half of the screen, te ESPN+ logo comes up in the upper right corner correctly. Also, the full screen problem is just for ESPN+ videos, but all other ESPN selections (ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3, etc) work correctly in full screen.

Just for giggles, I tried Edge and it works correctly for full screen ESPN+ videos...at least in the version I have.

24. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    @HDSports - sorry to hear you are having the same issue. I found that Opera will stream ESPN+ just fine on both Win7 and Win8.1! I posted a note on the Firefox forum but have not received a good solution. I think Firefox broke something on the new release. I heard back from ESPN today but they only said to use Internet Explorer.

25. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh the joys of the brave new world of streaming providers & interoperability. ;)

Redbullsnation2012 and Orange14 repped this.