ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I haven't had any issues finding recent matches via Roku's ESPN app by using the Browse > Soccer method. I haven't tried to find any of these Nations League replays yet, though. From my experience if you select the sport from the Browse page and go down to recent replays it's chronological.

2. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    The only replays I ever see under Browse>Soccer are those from espn3, usually college soccer and the like. Little if any of the ESPN+ stuff is available there.

3. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Yeah, I'll have to check next time I'm in front of my TV. I'd like to know if everything that should be available via the Roku app is available. I haven't been using ESPN+ much for soccer replays, so I may just be out of the loop. Over the summer it was updated well, so I was able to just scroll back through all the ICC matches, other preseason friendlies, etc. to find the U-19 Euro matches I missed while on vacation, for example.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I also haven't encountered this issue, but curious to check my Roku when I get back home. Regardless, the first step is to simply install the filter that they have on the tablet and phone apps. Even if a replay is accessible on the ESPN Roku app, I often have to spend some time finding it.

A 'favorites' filter would also be nice. Better yet, how 'bout a bit of artificial intelligence? I shouldn't have to scroll past 15 rows of stuff that I never watch to find ESPNFC, which I watch almost every day! If I watch the Ajax match every week, how is it still buried under a mountain of college field hockey games?

5. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    Here is what I have learned since I posted this morning: (1) Android app does allow a user to see more old games *but* the Android TV app does not. This is nutty. (2) The Roku app does allow users to see more old games under ESPN+ > Recent replays.

As others have noted, the Browse > Soccer option is only for ESPN TV channels and ESPN3 if you want to watch delayed games. Live ESPN+ games are listed there, but not delayed games. Delayed ESPN+ games need to be viewed by going to ESPN+ > Recent replays. Again, for the Android TV app, the options are slim.

In general, ESPN has pushed the app, which is understandable, but I would think they would have updated it prior to this launch of ESPN that replaced Watch ESPN. Most of the leagues under Browse > Soccer aren't even shown by ESPN anymore. I agree that a favorites would be nice.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, just looking at the Roku ESPN app now and I dont see the Thursday Nations league matches under "recent replays", and can't find the ones shown on espn+ anywhere.

A nice feature though is that when you stop a replay and come back to it later, it picks-up where you left it.

20180907_233018.jpg

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've noticed the ESPN ticker is using abbreviations, which leads to a lot of dead space. I understand things like "TCU" or "SMU", but I've also seen things like "Port St" and "Savan St."

I'm not sure this is the best way. It doesn't seem as professional, plus the dead space is a bit off-putting.

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not sure if mentioned already, but ESPN+ has an excellent highlight show for the Nations League. Same style as the EPL review show. Looks like there’s a new show every evening.

Its great for a competition like the Nations league, as lets be honest: spending two hours watching Faroe Islands v Malta isn’t easy.

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  9. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    You have to check the soccer section and then click on the league

10. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic

Mostly Sunday matches on the early side (6:30am or 9am), with a couple afternoon kickoffs. Get the feeling that ESPN is just throwing whatever's easiest on their broadcast networks and wants to push customers to ESPN+ subscriptions for the best games.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Not a good list but I understand what they are doing.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  12. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Frosinone-Empoli???
    That wouldn't make it on bein connect, but it is good for ESPN.

13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You could not pay my $5 a month to watch that.

14. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a fan of Genoa I wonder if they have ever been on a channel in as many households as ESPN2.

15. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    5 bucks for all Serie A, Nations League, MLS........not to mention countless other sporting events.......they even had the beach soccer championships this weekend..........it's a great deal especially compared to Gold lol

TJNash, Redbullsnation2012 and sitruc repped this.
  16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    All the Ronaldo fangirls that thought espn2 would become the home of Juve this season are gonna have to pony-up the $5 per month now. :D

Frosinine v Empoli on espn2 is great!

17. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    As someone whos eh on Donaldson and blehhhh on Bonetti Im ok with not having to hear them on the Serie A matches that I would actually sit and watch

18. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    When I checked the Roku app on Friday night there were a lot (if not all) the Nations League matches (plus friendlies) from Friday and Thursday listed under ESPN+ > Recent Replays, but I scrolled right as far as possible and the Recent Replays only went back to Thursday morning or Wednesday night.

As for the Browse > Sports > Soccer option, there were no Nations League matches listed there. If ESPN's going to charge $5/mo. for a standalone service, it really needs to make at least a week's worth of ALL content readily available via apps on popular devices. I'm a longtime Roku user because I don't want to have to watch on/connect a computer or cast something from a phone to the TV, and the Watch ESPN app always had a ton of replays to scroll through.

As mentioned previously, there at least needs to be the correct league/competition options on the Browse page. As of now, there is no Nations League page, which is obviously needed, but there are pages for leagues ESPN doesn't even carry.

19. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    They are really trying to sell as many ESPN+ subscriptions as possible. The Serie A tv schedule shows it. If there were any doubts, Nations league schedule confirmed it. They televised Cyprus-Slovenia and sent France-Netherlands to ESPN+.

20. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    And Sweden-Turkey over Portugal-Italy.

Honestly my only gripe is that if I wanted to sneak out for a pint, it's harder to watch the match you'd prefer (unless it's a seriously savvy soccer pub with ESPN+ running on TVs)

21. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    30 minutes into the Portugal-Italy match ESPN+ is experiencing technical difficulties. For ********'s sake...

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Some pubs have Univision Deportes.

23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    True, though my experience has been that if its not a soccer savvy pub, I am setting myself up for disappointment regardless i.e. are they really gonna have Portugal-Italy playing when I walk-in even if it was on ESPNEWS or whatever? :unsure:

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Dude, it was fixed probably before you were able to get on here and post about it.

25. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    And yet it wasn't. It was a quick fix, but it was still a solid couple minutes of me staring at the mobile and computer versions of the app broadcasting "technical difficulties." I don't expect perfection, but the snafu did happen.

It was better than the most recent EPL weekend, though, when NBC Gold's West Ham-Wolves feed switched to the Brighton-Fulham match for five minutes.