ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012

Update on this: Customer Service says you CANNOT do this going forward. IE: a new magazine subscription will not get you ESPN+

Redbullsnation2012 and EvanJ repped this.
  2. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually don’t mind at all (I prefer it), but I’m getting only crowd noise for AC Milan-Roma.

3. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Commentary came on around 26th minute. Is that a spoiler? [emoji38]

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Guess I spoke too soon. Was watching the DC utd match on espn+ the other day, and all of a sudden they go straight to commercials in the middle of the first half. They cut away from the match for about 90 seconds.

Not sure if this was a malfunction or what.

5. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ESPN+ for our of market MLS games just takes the feed of the RSN transmitting the game (as Direct Kick does) so this was presumably an error from the RSN showing the game in market for DC or the opposing team.

Redbullsnation2012 and BocaFan repped this.
  6. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    I say it a lot, but I'm really glad that Serie A moved to ESPN+. If bein still had the rights, there would've been a match from this round that would've only been on Connect and would've only been shown once live and never seen again, but- thanks to ESPN+, I watched it in full on demand in superior quality to Connect. It's wonderful.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  7. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    There were issues with the DC broadcast and that is what espn+ was using. FWIW, the Union broadcast had no problems.

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  8. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Someday MLS will get the big boy treatment that MLB/NHL do on their packages and we'll get the choice of either team's telecast.

Also it would be great if they simply picked up the raw feed of the broadcast so we don't get the tickers some of the RSNs add on; again this is what's done with MLB/NHL (Can't speak for the NBA pass since I don't subscribe to it).

9. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Yep. It was horrible. United need to work out a real local TV deal again in the offseason. The Sinclair/News Channel set-up is beyond a joke.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    People can't have it both ways here.
    You all say it is such a great deal at $5 a month to have access to all the MLS games. Now people are complaining about audio feeds and not being like NHL or MLB packages and commercials and score crawls on the bottom

At $5 a month those issues should just be ignored right?

Redbullsnation2012 and QPR Kevin H repped this.
  11. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I'm fairly certain the folks who have ESPN+ because of MLS probably aren't abandoning ship because of some kinks here and there. Canceling because of some issues outside of ESPN's control, saving $5 and not having access to what they wanted in the first place isn't exactly the smartest move.

For comparison's sake, I'm paying ~$5/mo. for NBC Sports Gold's Premier League Pass specifically so I can see every Wolves match. Five minutes into Saturday's match at West Ham, the feed switched to a different match for about five minutes, yet I'm not over here trashing NBC Sports because I missed 15 cents worth of Wolves football.

There is yet to be a perfect live stream service, but many remain worth the money.

12. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Agreed. And there were some oddities in the production across the matches on Saturday, which may have been down to some switching games due to technical problems at Chelsea (they put West Ham-Wolves on NBCSN for awhile). Blips happen.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Technically I wouldn't say they were complaints. Just taking note of something peculiar that happened while watching ESPN+.

14. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have ESPN+ for Serie A alone. I doubt I'll watch anything else on it.

With my sub, I get + access to fantasy football articles. I like.

15. TheAnswer1313

TheAnswer1313 Member+

Dec 12, 2007
    Charleston, WV
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Whats up with the Serie A review show not having audio? I watched week 2 and there was audio. Week 3.....no dice

16. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Not exactly an ESPN Soccer post but ESPN+ has added Pro 14 Rugby. And as someone who loves international football Ill be getting my $5 and then some from plus this month.

17. Ed Ennui

Ed Ennui Member

Lazio
    United States
    Jul 18, 2006
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I fell like you need a Phd to understand all the various rugby competitions.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    FYI, if you want to avoid spoilers while watching the Nations League, do NOT watch the match on espn2 first.

19. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's what my mom says about soccer.

20. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That is definitely how I first felt about European football. I only watch the “European” Leagues (premiership, top14 and pro14) in which the top teams play in the Champions Cup (like CL). I also love 6 Nations. I needed more things to watch although the Mrs would beg to differ ;)

21. danielmak

danielmak Member

Sep 26, 2004
    off the purple line
    I'm wondering if someone can help me out who has ESPN+ but watches through a Roku or Fire device. I use an Android TV box to watch and the ESPN app is insanely idiotic. By comparison, the espn+ web site ( http://www.espn.com/watch/espnplus ) lists 81 games under recent replays, including all Nations League games that are exclusive to espn+ that aired on Thursday. But the ESPN app only lists about 15 games on the Recent Replays option, with none of those games being Nations League. Most are college volleyball with a few beach soccer games mixed in. If you use Roku or Fire (or some other TV box) do you see Nations games listed under Recent Replays? If so, do you have the same 81 options that exist on the web site?

The other strange thing is the espn3 option under Browse > soccer lists a variety of categories that are outdated. They still have CL and Europa even though ESPN does not have rights to those competitions. Do you see the same thing on Roku, Fire, etc. that I see with Android TV? Or is your app updated to reflect the leagues for which ESPN has the rights?

Thanks for the help.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yet another reason why I won't get ESPN+ any time soon.
    My main TV in the living room is an Android TV.

23. beInSchwartz

beInSchwartz Member

Aug 20, 2012
    Club:
    ABC Natal
    I think I've figured you out. You like to back the guys everyone likes to pile on(beIN, Fox) and you start pushing back when it's a love fest(ESPN+, etc).

I agree with you on this. You need to have your apps up to date and firing on all devices if you are charging for a monthly service. I feel like Android devices have to be a good chunk of their viewers, though I'd be curious to see the amount of people using each streaming device.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am pragmatic and call it as I see it.
    There's good things I mention about Bein, EPSN, FOX, NBCS etc, There's also horrible things I point out.

Redbullsnation2012 and beInSchwartz repped this.
  25. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I have ESPN+ on the Roku through their ESPN app. And yes it's a glorious mess when it comes to soccer replays. Serie A is fine - the app has a designated category of "Serie A Replays" so it's no problem looking up one of those. And for MLS, if you go to "Browse" at the top you can pick MLS as one of the featured leagues where you can find replays (but no replays from Univision or Fox like the MLS app used to have after 48 hours). And the English Championship matches can be found if you browse by Sport and select Soccer, then pick that league.

That's the good part. For other leagues, such as Eredivisie, UEFA Nations, Chinese Super League, etc., forget it. Unless the match just ended and you can find it under "recent replays" on the main page, it just vanishes from the Roku app. The only way I can watch these matches is use the ESPN app on my iPad or Fire tablet and click on the calendar icon in the upper right, where 30 days of replays of everything are available. If I want to watch on TV, I have to use Chromecast from the tablet (and the drawback with watching that way is that I can't practically take advantage of the new +10 second fast forward feature because when I hit it on the tablet while casting, it takes Chromecast about 10 seconds to update, negating any time saved).

So what they need to do with the Roku app is add the new leagues they have other than Serie A to the "leagues" list under Browse>Soccer and keep those replays up.

Still though these are minor problems considering the value I'm getting for $5/month.