ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QPR Kevin H repped this.
  2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Maybe they are trying to force him into retirement?

3. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I forgot that they will have an NHL game daily once the season starts. Since I'm without the NHL network, that could push me to pay for it finally.

4. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    He said the decision was all his -- and ESPN accepted. The guy works hard on a pretty tough beat from an ESPN perspective (Outside the Lines) and he's certainly not super young. Maybe he just needs a refresh. If speculating, maybe it's retirement testing.

5. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just thought "clear my head" seemed coded. And sadly the first thing that jumped into my head was substance abuse/rehab. I know absolutely nothing about his personal life so that just came from thin air. Or maybe from the fairly significant number of successful media celebs who've had issues like this.

6. Ed Ennui

Ed Ennui Member

Lazio
    United States
    Jul 18, 2006
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today we've got Chievo-Juve and Lazio-Napoli.

Ciao, BeIN. So glad I'm not held hostage to Real and Barca anymore.

7. Ed Ennui

Ed Ennui Member

Lazio
    United States
    Jul 18, 2006
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is all true. I counted it up, and today Plus is showing 25 matches across six leagues.

I'm about to be a USL season ticket holder for an expansion team and will be watching USL too.

InterFan76 repped this.
  8. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Watching the first Serie A match of the season and I notice that unless Serie A changed its world feed announcers, ESPN+ is picking up what sounds like the UK announcers on Eleven Sports.

Also I like the snazzy new graphics for Serie A, they had the previous incarnation for about five years now.

9. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Actually, that is the world feed. Both Infront AND IMG is supplying the world feed announcers for the games this year. That means they are more announcers that will be calling the game over there

Dante repped this.
  10. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Overall impressions so far? Better than beIN. I enjoyed the announcers better, the presentation was nicer, and the stream was stable and never had any hiccup. Well worth the $50 for the year.

11. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Yeah, what's great is the "purity" of the broadcast - only thing on the screen is the score/clock, no network logos, no "La Liga in 5 days", no promos for other matches or programming repeatedly being flashed across the screen.

At least for one major European league I'll have my platonic ideal of the ultimate soccer package: all the matches from all the top leagues via the world feed.

Ed Ennui, Dante and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  12. asroma1982

asroma1982 Member

Sep 1, 2016
    Club:
    AS Roma
    it is not full screen on serie a on espn+ why

13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huh? I watched the Juve/Chievo and Napoli/Lazio games and both were full screen.

sitruc and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  14. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Is ESPN+ available through ESPN app on all devices? I tried accessing through samsung tv app but didn't see ESPN+ there although all other espn channels were there but was able to access via roku.

15. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’ve had that issue as well, wasn’t able to get into EPSN+ on my XBox One, but no issues with my Roku. ESPN hasn’t updated all their apps yet, and some might not get updated at all.

16. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Thank you ESPN+:thumbsup: I missed the Ajax opener last weekend so this was my first experience. Video feed was superb and the English commentary (don't know who did it) was appropriate and understated. Even though Ajax played a rubbish game it was good to watch. I know a couple of other US fans on The Netherlands forum watched as well. Now we have Champions League playoff on Wednesday and that will be on TNT!!!!

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Thanks for the spoiler.

(I kid , I kid.) ;)

18. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    My only small complaint, I'd like to figure out which bars will be able to show ESPN+ matches. Was out at lunch yesterday and would have asked for Lazio-Napoli but that doesn't seem doable unless at a serious soccer pub.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Are the Serie A games on ESPN+ available in Spanish too or are they all just the English world feed?

20. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Chievo-Juve game yesterday on ESPN+ was available only in English.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    If they were smart they would show the feeds in Spanish too. Especially a game involving Ronaldo.

22. SupaMario

SupaMario Member+

Aug 31, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA Tigre
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Just a question. I'm going to purchase the ESPN+ plan but how do I get it to my television? I have a Smart TV, Samsung Series 8 65 Curve, and I already have a ton of built in app's, including ESPN and other ones that I have downloaded. But I don't see the ESPN+ App anywhere when I do a search. Any clue where I can watch the matches outside of my laptop/PC or get the ESPN+ app on my television?

23. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I have samsung tv also and it looks like espn+ has not been integrated into it yet. Your best option is to buy a roku stick or fire stick. Or maybe get a tablet and then cast to the tv.

24. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    There is no ESPN+ app, just one ESPN app that allows users to login using their TV provider details and/or ESPN+ account. You should open the ESPN app on your smart TV, go to the settings icon, and make sure there is an “ESPN Account” option for signing in. That’s where you sign in with your ESPN+ login details so you can access that content within the app.

When it comes to smart TV, none have the apps or support of separate streaming devices. I have smart TVs, but never use them for streaming because Roku/Apple/Amazon/etc. devices are so much better for streaming.

Redbullsnation2012 and SupaMario repped this.
  25. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States