ESPN Soccer Thread

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Lovac1, May 20, 2016.

1. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was referring to regular Hulu, not live, which I've never used.

2. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Not sure if this is Craig Burley specific or not but he did a great job for a number of years as a co-commentator for setanta alongside Jon Champion, then with ESPN-UK with Derek Rae and also did a bunch of Premier League international feed matches before coming over to ESPN here in the states.

NorthBank and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  3. Ed Ennui

Ed Ennui Member

Lazio
    United States
    Jul 18, 2006
    Yoknapatawpha County
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most interesting part of the article, about why ESPN pursued the Serie A rights: "Network officials were pleased with the streaming metrics for MLS games and that increased ESPN’s appetite to add more soccer long-term for its streaming product."

Everyone should subscribe to The Athletic, you will not regret it.

Redbullsnation2012, Dante and Art Deco repped this.
  4. Roti2000

Roti2000 Member

Apr 27, 2012
    Does anyone know if Serie A matches that are shown on ESPN cable properties will also be available on ESPN+? Live or on-demand?

I think the Roma match opening weekend is scheduled to be on ESPNews and next week's Juve match is supposedly going to be aired on ESPN2. Can you get those streaming if you are an ESPN+ subscriber?

5. Orange14

Orange14 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 27, 2007
    Bethesda, MD
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My system is straight forward as I have a PC hooked up to the television with a cable card tuner (got tired of paying for the Verizon cable box) and a large hard drive to archive shows, movies, and sports. I can open up a browser with a mouse click and go to what ever streaming service I want. PC can stream Internet content and record television at the same time. It was cost effective for me as I built and service the PC myself.

6. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Like everything else shown on their cable channels, those will likely end up on ESPN3 so you'll need to be a cable subscriber to watch those on the app, live or on demand.

Redbullsnation2012 and BocaFan repped this.
  7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  8. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS games on ESPN/ESPN2/Deportes are available on demand on plus after 48 hours. I’m unclear what ESPN TV programming which isn’t originally on ESPN3 winds up on ESPN3. I believe the press release said that the Serie A game of the week would be an ESPN TV exclusive. Obviously if it were also on ESPN3 that would be major news since ESPN3 doesn’t (in most cases) require a TV subscription.

9. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    I didn't realize there's some overlap between ESPN TV channels and ESPN+ when it comes to MLS. Other than, though, if a game airs live on ESPN+ it's only available with an ESPN+ subscription (live or replay) and if it airs on an ESPN channel requiring a specific TV/internet subscription (ESPN/2/3/News), it won't be available on ESPN+.

Does anyone know of TV/+ overlap other than MLS matches? I haven't noticed any, and not having overlap is pretty much the point from ESPN's perspective.

10. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    The LAFC/RSL game was available on ESPN+ after it was broadcast on ESPN2 last night. On the schedule, it shows as ESPN3 instead of ESPN+. ESPN3 content is available on ESPN+, it's just not the other way around.

CaptureA.JPG

11. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    Are the blacked out local MLS games available on ESPN+ on demand and how long after the game?

12. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to this Table on the MLS site, MLS games shown on ESPN TV are available on demand on "WatchESPN" 48 hours after the game. I guess by putting them on WatchESPN, they make them available to anyone that can stream ESPN3, even though that is not specified on the MLS site. In market ESPN+ games that are blacked out are available to everyone on demand on ESPN+, although it doesn't say how soon they become available. Odd that last night's games are already available on ESPN3... I guess the 48 hours thing is not hard and fast.

Attached Files:

13. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    It's not an oddity. All of the matches on ESPN/2 show up on ESPN+ almost immediately after they're over, and they show up with ESPN3 next to them. It's been that way since the service started. The local matches that are blacked out for me show up immediately after they're over, but I get a blackout error when trying to access it until 48 hours after the match ends.

14. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read the MLS site incorrectly. I guess it’s available on demand immediately on WatchESPN (which I guess means espn3) and after 48 hours it’s supposed to switch over to ESPN+, but I see that last Sunday’s game is still shown as espn3.

15. portugamerifinn

portugamerifinn Member+

Feb 22, 2005
    Bay Area / London
    Good to know, thanks for the details. I have YouTube TV and ESPN+, so I was curious more than anything. I've found that a lot of people struggle with the ESPN+ concept when first trying to unravel it, so I like to be able to help them figure it out.

I was trying to help some fellow fans access a basketball game on ESPN+ yesterday and it got to the point where I had to walk one through finding the game on their iPad as if they'd never previously used technology more advanced than a calculator.

Ed Ennui repped this.
  16. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mark Donaldson and Matteo Bonetti will be commentating on this weeks Serie A game on the network.

17. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Ugh. Donaldson is tolerable but Bonetti drove me nuts on BeIN. Maybe he'll be better without Cordero but I think I'll find another feed of those games.

18. corolla

corolla Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    So wait is Bonnetti gone from Bein? That would make Ligue 1 commentary improve drastically!

19. KensingtonSC

Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    Where do people get this idea that Bonetti is some kind of an expert and is good on TV that they want to hire him? I want to be rid of guys like this. If this is going to be the case every week, I guess I'll be watching on Deportes.

20. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Plus Eridivise,Chinese Super League,German Cup,Liga Bancomer as well lots of soccer for a cheap price. I’m a big Inter fan season hasn’t started yet and I love the 2 preview shows. Great job ESPN.

daniloni and Redbullsnation2012 repped this.
  21. InterFan76

InterFan76 Member

Mar 20, 2012
    Hamburg,NJ
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    But it’s only 5 bucks! The Major American sports packs are expensive and people don’t complain as much.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Or just get ESPN+. Its not like they are saving the best Serie A match for TV.

23. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he already has it, just saying that if they’re doing the network game he’ll watch on Deportes.

BocaFan repped this.
  24. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yearly package for The Plus comes out to $4.16 a month. Less than ONE Latte. Being that I’m a huge MLS fan/supporter and like watching players develop in the USL, that price is a bargain. Oh by the way, also a huge boxing fan and now they’ve added these other soccer leagues and FA cup...man, it’s as if I myself designed the content, haha.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I know the cost.
    To me it is not worth it. To many here it is.
    One man's trash is another man's treasure.